Roster Breakdown 23-24 Season

toddc

Breaking down the basketball roster

6a2641c1374bc7bb16ce5079371e9008.jpeg

AUBURN | Auburn’s roster could be set for the 2023-24 season with the addition of two transfers and a junior college signee this spring.

The Tigers also received a boost with the return of Jaylin Williams and Johni Broome, who both explored their NBA Draft options.

Below is a look at how AU could line up next season including the starters and key bench pieces…

Getting Broome back was huge for Auburn's 2023-24 season.

Getting Broome back was huge for Auburn's 2023-24 season. (Zach Bland/Auburn athletics)

STARTING FIVE

Aden Holloway is Auburn’s fifth-ever McDonald’s All-American and third under Pearl. He’s my pick to start at point guard (1) but will certainly face a challenge. Holloway was really good when he signed with AU and has only gotten better over the past six months. He’s a creative playmaker and good 3-point shooter.

Denver Jones was signed out of the portal to bring AU better 3-point shooting and perimeter defense and should do so as a starter at shooting guard (2). He averaged 20 points and 3.8 rebounds at FIU last season, shooting 35.7 from beyond the arc. He excels at creating his own shot.

Junior college signee Chad Baker-Mazara is my pick to start at wing (3) after he averaged 15.2 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game, and shot 46.9 percent from 3-point range last season at NW Florida. Like Jones, he brings improved shooting and defense to AU’s backcourt.

Both power forward (4) Jaylin Williams and center (5) Johni Broome return as starters and should give the Tigers one of the SEC’s best frontcourts. They went through the NBA draft process but opted to return. Williams averaged 11.2 points and 4.7 rebounds, and was second on the team with 40 made 3-pointers.

Broome led AU in scoring (14.2), rebounding (8.4) and blocked shots (2.4) last season. He also made 6 of his last 16 3-pointers, which should be an even bigger part of his game this season as he evolves into more of a stretch-5.

My five…

1. TFr. Aden Holloway (6-1, 165)

2. Jr. Denver Jones (6-4, 190)

3. Jr. Chad Baker-Mazara (6-7, 190)

4. Gr. Jaylin Williams (6-8, 230)

5. Jr. Johni Broome (6-10, 235)

BIGGEST COMPETITIONS

The closest competitions for those starting spots should come at point guard and wing.

Tre Donaldson was one of AU’s most improved players last season and the team’s best 3-point shooter in the NCAA Tournament. He backed up Wendell Green last season and will compete with Holloway for the starting job this summer and into next fall.

I expect both to play, regardless, and could certainly see Donaldson getting some minutes at the 2.

The most intriguing battle may come at 3 where UAH transfer Chaney Johnson will compete with Baker-Mazara. Johnson has come a long way since signing with UAH out of Alabaster, Ala. He grew four inches and improved every season, becoming the Gulf South Player of the Year last season averaging 15.9 points and 6.6 rebounds. He shot 37.2 percent on 3-pointers in his career.

Baker-Mazara can also play some 4 freeing up more playing time for both him and Johnson.

Pushing for starting jobs…

1. So. Tre Donaldson (6-2, 190)

3. Jr. Chaney Johnson (6-7, 215)

KEY BENCH PIECES

You could include K.D. Johnson as competing with Jones for the starting 2 but I think he’s better suited to come off the bench and be an energy guy and potential momentum changer if he can become a more consistent 3-point shooter. He averaged 8.9 points and shot .333 from 3-point range last season. He was also second on the team with 36 steals.

I consider Holloway, Donaldson, Jones, K.D. Johnson, Baker-Mazara, Chaney Johnson, Williams and Broome to be AU’s top eight players, but three others should have important roles off the bench and be able to fill in for an injured player or one that’s in foul trouble.

Chris Moore will backup Williams at the 4. He started 16 games at 3 last season so he has positional versatility. Dylan Cardwell returns after playing in 32 games as Broome’s backup and Lior Berman is back after rising from walk-on to averaging 9.4 minutes in 25 games last season. He can play the 2 or 3.

Role players…

2. Sr. K.D. Johnson (6-0, 185)

4. Sr. Chris Moore (6-6, 230)

5. Sr. Dylan Cardwell (6-11, 256)

2. Gr. Lior Berman (6-4, 215)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Donaldson will not* play any at the 2. He's the closest thing to a pass first 1 we've had in a long while. I really liked some of the flashes he showed and was playing his best ball at the end of the season. 

Edited by JwgreDeux
corrected typo
  • Like 1

Is that a couple of D2 guys pushing for a starting job? Well I'll be....I like the size we have the option to use for defensive purposes. 

I also like the thought of playing Moore, Williams, Johnson together. That could potentially wreak havoc defensively all over the court. 

• Like 6

On 6/1/2023 at 11:22 AM, toddc said:

Breaking down the basketball roster

6a2641c1374bc7bb16ce5079371e9008.jpeg

AUBURN | Auburn’s roster could be set for the 2023-24 season with the addition of two transfers and a junior college signee this spring.

The Tigers also received a boost with the return of Jaylin Williams and Johni Broome, who both explored their NBA Draft options.

Below is a look at how AU could line up next season including the starters and key bench pieces…

Getting Broome back was huge for Auburn's 2023-24 season.

Getting Broome back was huge for Auburn's 2023-24 season. (Zach Bland/Auburn athletics)

STARTING FIVE

Aden Holloway is Auburn’s fifth-ever McDonald’s All-American and third under Pearl. He’s my pick to start at point guard (1) but will certainly face a challenge. Holloway was really good when he signed with AU and has only gotten better over the past six months. He’s a creative playmaker and good 3-point shooter.

Denver Jones was signed out of the portal to bring AU better 3-point shooting and perimeter defense and should do so as a starter at shooting guard (2). He averaged 20 points and 3.8 rebounds at FIU last season, shooting 35.7 from beyond the arc. He excels at creating his own shot.

Junior college signee Chad Baker-Mazara is my pick to start at wing (3) after he averaged 15.2 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game, and shot 46.9 percent from 3-point range last season at NW Florida. Like Jones, he brings improved shooting and defense to AU’s backcourt.

Both power forward (4) Jaylin Williams and center (5) Johni Broome return as starters and should give the Tigers one of the SEC’s best frontcourts. They went through the NBA draft process but opted to return. Williams averaged 11.2 points and 4.7 rebounds, and was second on the team with 40 made 3-pointers.

Broome led AU in scoring (14.2), rebounding (8.4) and blocked shots (2.4) last season. He also made 6 of his last 16 3-pointers, which should be an even bigger part of his game this season as he evolves into more of a stretch-5.

My five…

1. TFr. Aden Holloway (6-1, 165)

2. Jr. Denver Jones (6-4, 190)

3. Jr. Chad Baker-Mazara (6-7, 190)

4. Gr. Jaylin Williams (6-8, 230)

5. Jr. Johni Broome (6-10, 235)

BIGGEST COMPETITIONS

The closest competitions for those starting spots should come at point guard and wing.

Tre Donaldson was one of AU’s most improved players last season and the team’s best 3-point shooter in the NCAA Tournament. He backed up Wendell Green last season and will compete with Holloway for the starting job this summer and into next fall.

I expect both to play, regardless, and could certainly see Donaldson getting some minutes at the 2.

The most intriguing battle may come at 3 where UAH transfer Chaney Johnson will compete with Baker-Mazara. Johnson has come a long way since signing with UAH out of Alabaster, Ala. He grew four inches and improved every season, becoming the Gulf South Player of the Year last season averaging 15.9 points and 6.6 rebounds. He shot 37.2 percent on 3-pointers in his career.

Baker-Mazara can also play some 4 freeing up more playing time for both him and Johnson.

Pushing for starting jobs…

1. So. Tre Donaldson (6-2, 190)

3. Jr. Chaney Johnson (6-7, 215)

KEY BENCH PIECES

You could include K.D. Johnson as competing with Jones for the starting 2 but I think he’s better suited to come off the bench and be an energy guy and potential momentum changer if he can become a more consistent 3-point shooter. He averaged 8.9 points and shot .333 from 3-point range last season. He was also second on the team with 36 steals.

I consider Holloway, Donaldson, Jones, K.D. Johnson, Baker-Mazara, Chaney Johnson, Williams and Broome to be AU’s top eight players, but three others should have important roles off the bench and be able to fill in for an injured player or one that’s in foul trouble.

Chris Moore will backup Williams at the 4. He started 16 games at 3 last season so he has positional versatility. Dylan Cardwell returns after playing in 32 games as Broome’s backup and Lior Berman is back after rising from walk-on to averaging 9.4 minutes in 25 games last season. He can play the 2 or 3.

Role players…

2. Sr. K.D. Johnson (6-0, 185)

4. Sr. Chris Moore (6-6, 230)

5. Sr. Dylan Cardwell (6-11, 256)

2. Gr. Lior Berman (6-4, 215)

Don't get me wrong, I love our team and am excited about all of these players including all the newcomers (especially Aden), but the level of talent in the SEC will likely be at a much higher level than last year (check out the additions at Ole Miss, Georgia, Missouri & LSU). Perhaps Bama, Tennessee, and Arkansas will stay the same or be a little worse, but Kentucky looks to be much better with 5 blue chips incoming.   

I think a finish between 4th & 7th in the SEC and NCAA tourney berth (8-10 seed) would be a huge success given how things are panning out. 

Edited by HAPvsOA

I would love getting another PF.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 12:42 PM, JwgreDeux said:

Donaldson will play any at the 2. He's the closest thing to a pass first 1 we've had in a long while. I really liked some of the flashes he showed and was playing his best ball at the end of the season. 

Yeah, I would really hate for him to be like sub 10 minute status. At least to this point, Aden seems like your typical modern PG that can pass enough, but he's probably going to be getting a bucket first. Which isn't a bad thing by any means, but it'd be nice to have a guy that amplifies a lineup that's going to be largely composed of shoot first guys 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 2:37 PM, PUB78 said:

I would love getting another PF.

Looks like that may be in the works. https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers/news/juco-big-man-addarin-scott-talks-auburn-visit-upcoming-decision/

On3 profile: https://www.on3.com/db/addarin-scott-235986/recruiting/

Twitter with highlights in pinned tweet https://twitter.com/AddarinScott

Current school profile and stats https://navarrobulldogs.com/sports/mbkb/2021-22/players/addarinscottowp1

TBH I'm a little surprised after looking at his stats and seeing he didn't play much at such a small school. The glass half full perspective would say look at his points per 40 minute numbers are insane, but this seems to be a scout team signing. But perhaps CBP has seen something else. who knows. note: haven't watched his highlights yet. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
added twitter with highlights
  • Thanks 1

JGT said Chaneu Johnson told AU reporters he wants to play the 2/3 position so TIFWIW.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

K.D., For (Year) 3

K.D. Johnson found his range again late last season for the Tigers. If he can carry that into his third year on the Plains... look out.

Justin Ferguson

SG K.D. Johnson (Zach Bland/Auburn Athletics)

Two summers ago, K.D. Johnson arrived at Auburn as part of a major backcourt overhaul in the transfer portal by Bruce Pearl.

Now, Johnson is the lone survivor of that crew that helped the Tigers win the SEC title in 2022. Wendell Green Jr. went to the NBA and will be looking to stick with the Cleveland Cavaliers after the Summer League. Zep Jasper ended his lengthy collegiate career, now out of eligibility. 

And, while he didn’t come in with them, Johnson has seen fellow guards Allen Flanigan and Chance Westry transfer out.

But Johnson is still on the Plains.

He currently finds himself in the middle of another renovation project at the guard spots by Pearl. Auburn brought in a highly touted scorer in FIU transfer Denver Jones, along with mid-major-to-JUCO sharpshooter Chad Baker-Mazara and versatile 3-or-4 Division II pickup Chaney Johnson. 

Oh, yeah, and there’s Aden Holloway — only the second highest-rated signee in program history and an offensive machine at point guard. Considering the fact that Holloway sits directly between Jabari Smith and Sharife Cooper in the all-time signee rankings at Auburn, the ceiling is quite high for the McDonald’s All-American.

Johnson is a senior veteran in the middle of all that change, and he’s spent some time this summer being an incredible hype man for his new teammates.

Off the court, you know what you’re going to get from Johnson: A relentless competitor and fan-favorite who always has something to say about his team. 

On the court, the Tigers would love to see the K.D. who finished this past season make a return this fall.

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good synopsis of the roster. I like our Top 8, but am in wait and see mode for Chaney and Baker Mazara. It can be a big jump from small school to SEC. Hard to count on them yet. I think Broome takes a big step forward this year. You could see it in the pre draft camps. 

40 minutes ago, zeroforwinger said:

Good synopsis of the roster. I like our Top 8, but am in wait and see mode for Chaney and Baker Mazara. It can be a big jump from small school to SEC. Hard to count on them yet. I think Broome takes a big step forward this year. You could see it in the pre draft camps. 

Mazara’s played at a high competition level already.

On 7/16/2023 at 7:18 AM, toddc said:

I piece of the puzzle that is harder to gauge and is currently largely unknown is can they defend? There's a million guys out there who can shoot, not many that can shoot and defend. 

I'm more excited about this team than any on a while.  Snipers everywhere to compliment a more polished Broome

• Like 3

Not a roster breakdown, but a monster bring down nonetheless!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, toddc said:

I wanna know who he postered!

On 7/19/2023 at 2:38 PM, toddc said:

Those aren’t Under Armour jerseys are they?  I’m surprised he could jump that high in those things!  I was under the impression UA was an anathema to Bball. Thankful he didn’t hurt himself. Imagine how high he could jump if he was wearing his Nike, Dylan Mulvaney, sports bra!

• 1 month later...

Pearl excited about Auburn’s newcomers

AUBURN | The season opener is still two and a half months away and Bruce Pearl and his staff have only spent a limited time with Auburn’s newcomers.

But there’s no question the Tigers’ 10th-year head coach is excited about the five new offseason additions to AU’s roster.

“Our transfers were not nearly as heralded, I think, from a recruiting standpoint as I think a lot of transfers were based on coming from Power 5 schools,” said Pearl. “I thought our staff did an outstanding job in the evaluation process. We studied the film, we studied them against certain opponents and we made evaluations not based on the name on the front of the jerseys. We made evaluations based on how good we thought they were going to be.

Chaney Johnson shows off his athleticism during a recent workout. (Auburn athletics)

“I don’t think any of them are going to be disappointing. I think they are all going to be a little better than what they’re perceived or how they’re ranked.”

Pearl spoke about all five newcomers during a Zoom session with the media Friday morning…

ADEN HOLLOWAY

Key note: Holloway is in a close competition with sophomore Tre Donaldson for the starting point guard position.

“Aden is a combination of a lot of the guards that we’ve had in the past. He probably shoots it as well or better than any of them. He’s got another gear. He’s probably physically a little farther ahead than some of the freshman point guards that we’ve had that have come in and done well.

“That’s what Aden brings to the table. He’s a complete and total gym rat. He is in a great competition with Tre Donaldson. Tre Donaldson comes back to us having finished the season really, really strong. There were times when we were better with Tre on the floor because of how he led, how he distributed, his ability to make open shots. That is a real competition for who’s going to start and who’s going to finish. But because they can both shoot the basketball, they can also play out there on the floor together. That’s where we are at the point guard spot.”

DENVER JONES

Key note: Jones is leading the competition to be Auburn’s starting shooting ‘2’ guard. A video recently posted by Auburn showed Jones making 21 consecutive 3-pointers from the top of the key during a workout.

“I don’t know that we’ll be better defensively there, but we will be better offensively. That’s not a knock on Zep (Jasper). It’s just that Denver Jones could be a candidate for one of our top two or three scorers. Without question. A great shooter with great range. An ability to get downhill and score through contact. He’ll get to the foul line. A good passer. A really solid defender.”

CHAD BAKER-MAZARA

Key note: Baker-Mazara averaged 15.2 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game, while shooting 46.9 percent from 3-point range for NWFSU last season.

“Chad’s really good. He was one of the top 100 JUCO players in the country last year. He was ranked No. 30. Went to Northwest Florida State College. Previously to that, he played at San Diego State and Duquesne. At San Diego State, he actually had 18 points in the first half against Creighton. Chad is 6-7. That’s the good news. The bad news is he’s about a buck-85. So he’s a little light in the ass. So we’ve got to continue to get him bigger and stronger. He did a really good job this summer with Coach Damon Davis.

“Chad’s been a beneficiary of that. He can shoot it, he can put it on the floor. He’s got the basketball IQ stuff you can’t teach. That’s what Chad Baker has. Like, he knows how to play. And when you run certain things that require some basketball IQ offensively and defensively, I kind of can put my head down on my pillow at night knowing Chad’s going to make good decisions. He’s going to make good basketball plays. That would be the backcourt as far as the newcomers are concerned.”

CHANEY JOHNSON

Key note: Johnson is pushing Jaylin Williams for the starting power ‘4’ forward position. Both Johnson and Williams have the versatility to also play other positions.

“Chaney Johnson was one of the very best players in Division-II basketball. He has a great story about growing up in Alabama and going to play for John Schulman at Alabama-Huntsville. He shows up 6-2; he's now 6-7. Chaney is one of the best athletes on our team right now. That maybe says we're not athletic enough right now, but he truly is as far as his ability to move, to run and to jump. And also another gym rat as far as being in the gym tirelessly. He's going to have a breakout season.

“He and Jaylin Williams are in a great competition for starting and for playing. Is it possible I could play one of them not at that big guard position, that 4 spot? Yes it is possible. There could be some movement on the roster all over that I think -- we have got guys that can move around. Chaney can move it, put the ball down on the floor and guard multiple positions. We're going to be better at the backup 4 because of Chaney and Jaylin Williams.”

ADDARIN SCOTT

Key note: A junior, Scott was brought in to backup Johni Broome and Dylan Cardwell at the center position. Pearl likes his upside and potential to be a much bigger contributor in 2024-25.

“There were a couple guys out there we could have pushed on and maybe loaded up at the position and said, ‘OK, let the best man win.’ We didn't do that; we went with a prospect. We went with Addarin Scott, who's not a highly recruited Power Five guy, but a guy we thought had upside. He can shoot the ball, he can move well. He hasn't physically yet had the advantages of a high-major program.

“I think he's going to provide great depth for us, but also he's a guy that's going to get better really, really fast from Day 1 all the way through to decide who's playing. Addarin Scott is going to improve as much as anybody from August through October. So we're excited about adding him to the roster.”

Auburn opens the season against Baylor Nov. 7 at the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, S.D.