2024 4* OL Preston Taumua (Nebraska)

ellitor

Default Avatar

6-3.5 / 300
Aiea
Aiea, HI

Notable offers: AU, Oregon, Bama, Zona, Nebraska, Florida, Ohio St, Vols, A&M, OU, Miami, Texas, Utah, & Washington
AU staff supposedly likes where we sit right now.
An AU source believes this is an AU, Bama, Oregon battle.
Playing in the SEC may have some weight and distance is not believed to be a factor
All that said, the only 2 official picks by recruiting reporters are for Oregon.
Plans to commit on Aug. 24

• Thanks 1

Scouting Report

EVALUATED 09/01/2022

By Brandon Huffman NATIONAL RECRUITING EDITOR

PROJECTION

Power-5 Starter

Impressed at this past summer's ESPN 300 Hawaii Camp, earning Top Performers honors. Now, seeing him in pads, you see every bit the elite prospect that he is. He's got tremendous agility and flexibility, a natural knee bender with great body control, doing a great job of getting to the second level consistently and opening up holes for his backs. He's also a plus pass-blocker, keeping his quarterback clean during the game.

• Thanks 1

Auburn visit 'family-oriented' for Rivals250 OL

This weekend was the first trip to Auburn for . In fact, it was his first time in the state of Alabama.

He was in town for his official visit, the second one he's made out of his top five programs. Auburn's family feel is what stood out for the No. 1 player from Hawaii.

"Visit went well, I felt like it was really family-oriented," Taumua said. "Everybody treated me like family, the whole team treated me like I was part of the team already."

Preston Taumua took his official visit to Auburn over the weekend. (Caleb Jones | AuburnSports.com)

Taumua's primary recruiter has been tight ends coach Ben Aigamaua, who's from the same place that Taumua's father is from.

"If I were to come here, I’d probably lean on him the most," Taumua said of Aigamaua. "He flies back and forth from Hawaii and usually visits me in Hawaii."

Meanwhile, Taumua also spent time getting to know offensive line coach Jake Thornton.

"Coach Jake (Thornton) is full of energy, I’m not gonna lie," Taumua said. "He’s good. He gave me the spill of what their O-Line is looking like this year and if I were to come here, I feel like I’d be a freshman starting off the bat. Especially playing in the SEC, it’s the best competition."

Energy was a common theme for Auburn's coaches that impressed Taumua. He had the same experience when he met with head coach Hugh Freeze.

"Coach Freeze is energetic," Taumua said. "He’s just full of energy, that’s why I like him. He’s a really down-to-earth guy."

6'4" | 317 lbs | OG | 2024

The 6-foot-4 offensive lineman, who Auburn sees at either tackle or guard, will have three more official visits to complete. He's already been to Arizona, with trips lined up to Nebraska, Oregon and Alabama.

Taumua will make his decision August 24 between the five schools.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Preston Tuamua has moved his commitment date up after his Oregon visit. Doesn't bode well for Auburn, IMO. Jury is still out on the state of the offensive line recruiting this cycle, but I would be lying if I didn't say that I  am less enthusiastic than I was 2 weekends ago.

• Sad 1

JLee put a pick in for Taumua to Nebraska with 65% confidence. Says his family's relationship with Nebraska's OL coach, who is from Hawaii, is likely the deciding factor.

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

JLee put a pick in for Taumua to Nebraska with 65% confidence. Says his family's relationship with Nebraska's OL coach, who is from Hawaii, is likely the deciding factor.

Here we go again. It was looking so good there for awhile, but we could use some OL commitments before all are off the board. 

14 hours ago, ellitor said:

So our Hawaiian token wasn't as cool as Nebraska's. 

• Like 1

This is arguably the most important recruiting position (OL) for the next several years. Stockpiling talent on the OL is the cornerstone of championship teams. Bring on the quality OLs.

Edited by War to the Eagle

2 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

This is arguably the most important recruiting position (OL) for the next several years. Stockpiling talent on the OL is the cornerstone of championship teams. Bring on the quality OLs.

Everyone agrees with you. It was the biggest downfall of Gus. That and his high school quarterback recruiting. 

We need to do whatever it takes to get 3-4 quality high school offensive lineman. It’s pretty obvious. We are going to hit the portal hard again next year, but that was always the plan. 

• Like 1

It's a pretty weak HS OL class overall.  Gonna be a few years of portalling before we can focus on HS again 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 7/7/2023 at 2:04 PM, AuCivilEng1 said:

So our Hawaiian token wasn't as cool as Nebraska's. 

Hate to lose a recruit to them, but I hope Rhule can return the Huskers to a nationally prominent program.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

It's a pretty weak HS OL class overall.

Only b/c UGA took them all

On 7/9/2023 at 8:50 AM, W.E.D said:

Only b/c UGA took them all

I hate to say it but 

image.gif

Their OL class is the kind of class that will set them up for years. Makes me vomit. 

Just now, gr82b4au said:

I hate to say it but 

image.gif

Their OL class is the kind of class that will set them up for years. Makes me vomit. 

Same. I am so sick of our rivals going on these unprecidented historic recruiting runs and we can't even sign a friggin offensive tackle to save our life. 

"OL Isn't good this year"

OT
2023 - 23 4* kids -- 44 ranked above 87.0
2024 - 24 4* kids -- 49 ranked above 87.0

IOL
2023 - 25 4* kids -- 70 ranked above 87.0
2024 - 30 4* kids -- 57 ranked above 87.0

Doesn't seem that bad

59 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

OT

IOL

Doesn't seem that bad

The truth is that it is going to take years of building relationships and winning on the field just to be in the top 10, and I’m not sure we will ever recruit as well as Uga or Uat unless we do what Texas AM does and that is spend $33 million in a recruiting class. 
We can offer immediate playing time next year on the OL and that is not working (yet). There is still time but we really need OL. 

Edited by gr82b4au
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

OT

IOL

Doesn't seem that bad

Show us 90 & up please. 87 is not exactly a good rating.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Show us 90 & up please. 87 is not exactly a good rating.

Why is 90 a good measure?  There are 4* below 90.  Are you saying Hugh ranked 3* kids aren't good?

BTW it's virtually exactly the same as 2023 >= 90 @toddc

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Same. I am so sick of our rivals going on these unprecidented historic recruiting runs and we can't even sign a friggin offensive tackle to save our life. 

It is truly amazing. Not even asking for a class like theirs that is full of these guys. Just want one 4* HS OT in this class. Let’s start there. 
I do think our OL coach is recruiting his *** off, just stinks he has not landed anyone yet. 

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

OT

IOL

So you’re saying last year’s OL class really sucked!!!

(yellow font)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

So you’re saying last year’s OL class really sucked!!!

(yellow font)

It wasn't really Gus' fault, just not enough OL in the last 7 years anywhere

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It wasn't really Gus' fault, just not enough OL in the last 7 years anywhere

So true.  I get that they’re difficult to project, but you’ve got to try with somebody!!!   I like CHF’s philosophy of having a minimum number of 18 (I think, give it take one, not counting long snappers, although he likes to stockpile them too!) so that he’ll have enough depth to have some good ones and a few backups too.  

• Like 1