2024 4* OL DeAndre Carter commits to AUBURN!!

ellitor

7 hours ago, DAG said:

This is why it matters how we perform on the field, despite some wanting to ignore it. 

He's not being swayed by that.  His teammate and UTx$ has him listening.  

There are others that are being pursued and listening  that are in a similar situation as Carter. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 5:53 AM, bigbird said:

He's not being swayed by that.  His teammate and UTx$ has him listening.  

There are others that are being pursued and listening  that are in a similar situation as Carter. 

Money has always been a factor and Texas has always been able to offer more in that regard. So that really doesn’t pass the sniff test for me, tbh. Either way, that is irrelevant, we don’t need to be losing this specific prospect. That would be a major L for us. 

• Like 5

It ain't just us. LSU lost a 4* WR recruit this week. Georgia lost a 4* recruit this week. So, there is some validity that there is more than on field results swaying these recruits. I still think it's part if it, but I have a hunch that 💰 is more a part. If given the choice,what would yall take. A lucrative NIL deal or go to one of the big dogs where u get a good chance to win a natty? Assuming u had to choose one or the other.

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

It ain't just us. LSU lost a 4* WR recruit this week. Georgia lost a 4* recruit this week. So, there is some validity that there is more than on field results swaying these recruits. I still think it's part if it, but I have a hunch that 💰 is more a part. If given the choice,what would yall take. A lucrative NIL deal or go to one of the big dogs where u get a good chance to win a natty? Assuming u had to choose one or the other.

Of course money will always have a primary benefactor but this idea that on field results have no impact? Do not believe that and I know that is not what you are saying, but I feel like that is what is being alluded. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Of course money will always have a primary benefactor but this idea that on field results have no impact? Do not believe that and I know that is not what you are saying, but I feel like that is what is being alluded. 

Would be interesting to see how recruits rate the different factors by order of importance.  I'm sure it would vary from recruit to recruit.  

They would still be making a push, but would they be having any luck with it?

This time six months ago the big deal here was to win some meaningful games and and the recruiting would get a big lift. This was repeated over and over. Now that's suddenly changed to the idea that wins don't matter? I don't think so. Wins do matter and we need some significant wins.

Recruiting probably won't be a disaster without some significant wins, but those wins would help a LOT.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I will play devils advocate to myself here. A misconception is that ALL recruits get NIL. I don't think that's true. Anyone know on AU 85 man team how many have any kind of NIL? I may be way off but I would think it's less than 25%

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

They would still be making a push, but would they be having any luck with it?

This time six months ago the big deal here was to win some meaningful games and and the recruiting would get a big lift. This was repeated over and over. Now that's suddenly changed to the idea that wins don't matter? I don't think so. Wins do matter and we need some significant wins.

Recruiting probably won't be a disaster without some significant wins, but those wins would help a LOT.

It's not so much the wins that matter to recruits, it's them seeing a product on the field that is impressive and gives a recruit to desire to want to be a part of.  See our Georgia game as example.  But you can't follow that up with the LSU game we played and say, "Man, I've got to be part of that".  That has got to change or we're not going to attract the kind of players we must have in order to turn this ship around.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I will play devils advocate to myself here. A misconception is that ALL recruits get NIL. I don't think that's true. Anyone know on AU 85 man team how many have any kind of NIL? I may be way off but I would think it's less than 25%

It may for us, but I think the whole Utah roster got new truck leases. Good times for these players. You bring up a good point though. All can get something or a few can get most of it, but it’s coming from a finite pool at most schools. We almost need an NIL Strategist to figure out the best approach. But back to Carter, I hope we don’t lose him. 

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

image.jpeg.ec197eb15acdbe4bb1c33a1653943d67.jpeg

Of course UT would still be making the push.  But I would argue that on-field play DOES matter...it makes recruits more likely to listen if the team they are committed to looks dazed and confused.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 7:26 AM, DAG said:

Money has always been a factor and Texas has always been able to offer more in that regard. So that really doesn’t pass the sniff test for me, tbh. Either way, that is irrelevant, we don’t need to be losing this specific prospect. That would be a major L for us. 

USC and UTx are selling the play closer to home angle as well.  It doesn't make sense, but no matter, he's listening. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

If I were from a middle to higher income family (i.e., my family didn't need my financial help) and my goal was to have a great college experience and make it to the pros, I would go to one of the big dogs with a good chance to win a natty.  The money will come later.  If my family was in dire financial straits (e.g., JT Thor) I would take the money now via NIL.

Yeah but I’ve quickly come to see that those folks in the know are guessing too. Unless the player quotes as such , I very rarely taking it as 100% straight factual info. At the end of the day, these players are competitive too. So no, I am not obtuse enough to think Money isn’t a primary focus, but I certainly am not going to rule out context either such as who is winning, which program gives the player the best chance to get to the next level, proximity of school, etc. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

This is a very good question.

On 10/18/2023 at 8:00 AM, NWALA Tiger said:

I don't know any specifics about AU, but I heard former Bama QB Scott Hunter say on local sports radio that he suspects that Bama makes an effort to see that all players on the roster get at least a little something.  I realize that his statement is somewhat vague, but I would think that since it involves money that if one team is doing it, then others are likely doing so in order to be competitive. 

1 hour ago, gctiger said:

I don't know any specifics about AU, but I heard former Bama QB Scott Hunter say on local sports radio that he suspects that Bama makes an effort to see that all players on the roster get at least a little something.  I realize that his statement is somewhat vague, but I would think that since it involves money that if one team is doing it, then others are likely doing so in order to be competitive. 

It depends on how much money is in the NIL fund and the strategy. Spend big on a small set of players or spread the wealth and give something to everyone Also, all of the other sports are getting some NIL funds too so you have to budget for that as well. 

I believe there's proof it has been the case at Auburn relative to specific position groups >> offensive line and WR's. 

We've now had a string of coaches that couldn't attract top quality olinemen for over 5 years now.  Maybe Gus' evaluation process for olinemen and how he chose to utilize WRs are what cause the drought at those positions - but it has been a persistent problem. 

To deny that the actual on-the-field performance hasn't played a part in Auburn's inability to draw top quality olinemen & WR's isn't logical.  When prospects watch AU struggle in the trenches year after year after year, that we can't field a line that can protect and enhance our QBs AND we have struggles at the WR position AND we aren't preparing players for the pro's, it most definitely plays a part in recruiting.  If for no other reason than getting negatively recruited by other programs that can easily point out Auburn's ongoing weaknesses.  

30 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

It depends on how much money is in the NIL fund and the strategy. Spend big on a small set of players or spread the wealth and give something to everyone Also, all of the other sports are getting some NIL funds too so you have to budget for that as well. 

NIL folks would be wise to spread the wealth and give everyone a taste.  What big ugly in the trenches working his tail off in the weight room, classroom, the practice field and listening to his coach crawl his ass for pennies while his QB is pulling in thousands a month?  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

NIL folks would be wise to spread the wealth and give everyone a taste.  What big ugly in the trenches working his tail off in the weight room, classroom, the practice field and listening to his coach crawl his ass for pennies while his QB is pulling in thousands a month?  

I totally agree.  Just wait until someone or some group feels they aren't getting their fair share and watch how fast everything starts to unravel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Just for the sake of your point, Jimmy Raines contributions to NIL could be just for O and D linemen. They are after all the “fence” of the Offense and Defense and since he is the lumber man, why not?

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

With a new coaching safe, and having years of sub-recruiting years for the various positions of need, play on the field is not significant IMO. 

• Like 2

This is a quote by AU's top rated player in the '24 class linebacker Demarcus Riddick.

"Riddick was most recently in Auburn to watch the Tigers take on the top-ranked team in the nation and the program he was previously committed to — Georgia. Although Auburn didn't come away with the upset victory, it was encouraging to see how competitive of a game it was, even with Auburn as heavy underdogs.

"I had fun because I know that Auburn’s good enough to compete with any team in the nation," Riddick said. "We competed with the No. 1 team in the nation, what do you think we’re gonna do with the rest of these teams we get ready to play?"

With what Riddick described as a "great" atmosphere inside Jordan Hare Stadium, he kept a close eye on how the defense operated, noting how the linebackers were "flying to the ball" and the defensive backs were "locking stuff up". It gives him a lot of confidence in the future of the defense.

"It just gives me the momentum of knowing that ‘Oh yeah, I’m gonna be able to do the things they’re doing," Riddick said."

The complete article is in a post by Paladin on the last page of the thread about Riddick. It looks like play on the field mattered to him.

• Like 4