2024 4* OL DeAndre Carter commits to AUBURN!!

ellitor

14 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Freeze has shown that he can get OL in the Portal but we also need HS O-line.  This player would be a key get. Then I understand we are looking at an Alabama O-line Reese Baker not rated but is the type player we passed on in the past. Has frame of a tackle very athletic with good feet but only about 260 pounds.  An awful lot of players like this get to college add muscle mass and become very good players a couple years down the road. 

O-line is a tough position to analyze as an awful lot of top players had to be developed over time. So try for the top 4* and 5* players but also grab a few players who you think have the frame and talent to become top O-line.  Last few coaches didn't sign or develop this type player.

Hypothetically, a top 50 player should project as a 2nd or 3rd round player.  That's an All-SEC type guy in 2-3 years.  That's was 247's profile has him at.

While we did well in the portal on OL, I don't think we got a Day 2 NFL draft pick last year.  We got good players, we didn't get any elite projected kids.  Could we next year?  Sure, but we need to have a heavy pipeline of HS kids

• Like 1

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Hypothetically, a top 50 player should project as a 2nd or 3rd round player.  That's an All-SEC type guy in 2-3 years.  That's was 247's profile has him at.

While we did well in the portal on OL, I don't think we got a Day 2 NFL draft pick last year.  We got good players, we didn't get any elite projected kids.  Could we next year?  Sure, but we need to have a heavy pipeline of HS kids

I think you missed my point of course we want the top 40 or 50 but so does every one else. We always try for them but seldom get them. The next option is to scout young men with the right Frames 6'4" to 6'7" long arms, can bend at the waist, nimble feet and very athletic but not heavy enough to play in the SEC. Many of these kids because they are not so big already have better fundamentals as not heavy enough to just overpower everybody.  Two years with proper diet and conditioning program and some will become SEC linemen. In the past we swung for homeruns and if we missed which we usually did we had no backup plan. 

Recently we have seen some very talented O-line in what some have said was a weak O-Line class that we pursued hard, but they decided not to come to Auburn. This staff has two backup plans one the Portal which they did well in this year but lets be honest how many times are you going to get 3 starting O-linemen from the Portal and the other is also pursuing players they have scouted and they see potential to develop. 

Without a recent track record of putting O-line into NFL this three prong attack is our best chance. Try for the best, use the Portal, develop players you have scouted for their potential. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think you missed my point of course we want the top 40 or 50 but so does every one else. We always try for them but seldom get them. The next option is to scout young men with the right Frames 6'4" to 6'7" long arms, can bend at the waist, nimble feet and very athletic but not heavy enough to play in the SEC. Many of these kids because they are not so big already have better fundamentals as not heavy enough to just overpower everybody.  Two years with proper diet and conditioning program and some will become SEC linemen. In the past we swung for homeruns and if we missed which we usually did we had no backup plan. 

Recently we have seen some very talented O-line in what some have said was a weak O-Line class that we pursued hard, but they decided not to come to Auburn. This staff has two backup plans one the Portal which they did well in this year but lets be honest how many times are you going to get 3 starting O-linemen from the Portal and the other is also pursuing players they have scouted and they see potential to develop. 

Without a recent track record of putting O-line into NFL this three prong attack is our best chance. Try for the best, use the Portal, develop players you have scouted for their potential. 

None of that has to do with wanting an Elite OL vs an Elite WR or LB b/c Bama wants them.

"Weak OL Class" has been disproven.  Same amount of 4* and high 3* kids as the past few years.

Edited by W.E.D

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

None of that has to do with wanting an Elite OL vs an Elite WR or LB b/c Bama wants them.

"Weak OL Class" has been disproven.  Same amount of 4* and high 3* kids as the past few years.

Again you missed my point. I want elite OL and elite WR and LB. I would want the elite WR and LB even if they were not bama and UGA commits. I was not taking sides on which was more important as that is a personal choice. My whole spiel was not about which was most important but was around this staff having a plan. This staff is pushing as hard as it can to get this young man and to flip the the bama commit and the UGA commit.  What my point was and still is whether we get Deandre or not unlike past staffs they have a plan. 

Ideally we get Deandre and at least another player like I have described. 

I understand your thinking the OL player is most important you have made some good points but flipping 5* players from out top opponents is also very important. I am greedy I want us to do both but will be happy with either. 

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Again you missed my point.

As are you, so we'll just end it there and not continue 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 8:40 PM, AUINSY said:

Is there some sort of anti-Auburn NIL collective out there from the likes of Alabama, Georgia, and LSU where they pool in leftover money that pays offensive linemen to sign anywhere but Auburn, in addition to what the new/other school gives them to go to that other destination? I could be crazy, but it sure seems that way…

You joke, but for years I have thought this has been going on. The turds, leg humpers, corndogs have been winning the recruits we all wanted and paying off the 2nd, 3rd and 4th options to go anywhere but Auburn.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 1:52 PM, W.E.D said:

Weak excuse by some of our people for our lack of success recruiting offensive linemen. If we had landed Calhoun, Taumua, Poe, etc and others that we targeted there would be no talk of '24 being a weak OL Class.

Edited by autan
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, autan said:

Weak excuse by some of our people for our lack of success recruiting Oofensive linemen. If we had landed Calhoun, Taumua, Poe, etc and others that we targeted there would be no talk of '24 being a weak OL Class.

A weak class doesn't mean that there aren't great players. There, however, isn't the quality depth across the position this year as there has been in recent classes.  

The plan, like last year, was always to rely more on the portal for OL until the development of the HS recruits we do identify catches up.  I expect 2-4 HS OL in this class

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

isn't the quality depth across the position this year as there has been in recent classes

There are literally the same number of 4*+ and high 3* vs the last few cycles. They all have 40+ 4* kids and a good bit more high 3*.

They aren't perfect, but they wouldn't just ranked 50% of the class higher to meet some threshold 

"The plan, like last year, was always to rely more on the portal for OL until the development of the HS recruits we do identify catches up.  I expect 2-4 HS OL in this class"

Right, and if we get Carter plus didn't miss on 50% of the ones listed, then added a 3* kid with potential not a sole would be talking about a "weak class"

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

There are literally the same number of 4*+ and high 3* vs the last few cycles. They all have 40+ 4* kids and a good bit more high 3*.

Not from the Southeast though. There are only 5 4*s OTs from the Southeast, 10 if you want to count Texas. There are only 7 4* IOL in the Southeast, 14 if you count Texas. It's a down year in the Southeast specifically.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

And they probably are, compared to other players in this class.  If they were part of previous classes, they wouldn't hold the same rank.  The talent compared to other years is down.  The services still rank classes the same, strong or weak.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Not from the Southeast though. There are only 5 4*s OTs from the Southeast, 10 if you want to count Texas. There are only 7 4* IOL in the Southeast, 14 if you count Texas. It's a down year in the Southeast specifically.

So now it's moved to "the southeast"

Now do comparisons to years prior

• Like 2

This is awesome; really hope it happens. I really like this kid.  Freeze and his staff are killing it.

"The #1 Interior Offensive Lineman IN THE COUNTRY, who is from California, is about to commit to Auburn University."    Just imagine those words being typed in any of the last 7 years....   

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Brandon Baker

@BigBlueWDE His name hasn't been mentioned with AU besides getting an offer a good while back so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

"The #1 Interior Offensive Lineman IN THE COUNTRY, who is from California, is about to commit to Auburn University."    Just imagine those words being typed in any of the last 7 years....    ever.

FIFY

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

"The #1 Interior Offensive Lineman IN THE COUNTRY, who is from California, is about to commit to Auburn University."    Just imagine those words being typed in any of the last 7 years....   

You unlock this door with the key of imagination...

When is he expected to make announce a decision?

Just now, AUwent said:

When is he expected to make announce a decision?

@AUwent DC has said it wouldn't be before late August. Now the feeling is it could be sooner.

• Like 1