What do you want to see against Samford?

Win4AU

1) Jarquez running some of that “rust” off

2) Thorne looking more relaxed and making better decisions 

3) Holden getting the 2nd string snaps and either showing us he’s not ready or making some throws.  

4) No injuries on D

Samford should go a lot like UMass.  Probably not going to be very flashy 

Also 0 turnovers please

• Like 2

improvement.  And when i think of Samford i think of Pat Sullivsan. as for the game i read they have no oline to speak of and other troubles in an article i posted so i expect these guys to get hammered.

1 minute ago, woodford said:

- Thorne throwing for 350+ yards

- Running backs running for 300+ yards

- Shutout for the defense 

- Holden play the entire 4th quarter 

have you ever laid the wood to anyone?

Correct reads and decisions from our QB. 

Limited QB rotation until the game is put away.

No turnovers on O

Limit drops and poor route spacing 

Generate a pass rush with just our front 4 

2 turnovers on D 

Find a 2nd LB

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Correct reads and decisions from our QB. 

Limited QB rotation until the game is put away.

No turnovers on O

Limit drops and poor route spacing 

Generate a pass rush with just our front 4 

2 turnovers on D 

Find a 2nd LB

One and four are huge before we get aTm!!

Without those we have no running game against them- aTm, which should be our strength.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

1) No turnovers

2) No injuries

3) No turnovers

4) Offensive execution, especially in the passing game

5) No turnovers

6) Continue the defensive momentum 

7) No turnovers

8 ) RBs running wild!

9) No turnovers

10) Some defensive takeaways 

Oh,  and did I mention NO TURNOVERS?!?!

What do i want to see. 

1) Multiple flags thrown on our offensive line because they are blocking too aggresivley to the point of inflicting severe pain on the openent.

2) Multiple flags thrown on our defense because we're tackling so hard the openents can't keep their helmets on.

• Like 3

I want to see Thorne play the entire game from start to finish.  May as well find out what we have.

The constant QB shuffling doesn't do either of them any good and Thorne needs reps with this team in this system.

• Like 2

An overall good game plan to work on the areas that team needs to improve in

A lot more passing to build confidence for PT and route running/blocking/timing of the WR.  Confident, decisive and quick decision making by PT.  We need the 2021-2022 version of PT to show up.

Limited packages for RA to come in the game.  We know what he can/can't do and this game is not needed to showcase that.  Having said that, if you want to put him in the slot or defensive backfield.......go right ahead.  Otherwise, please have a seat this week.  If anything, HG needs any mop up duty (preferably all of 4th quarter).

Repeat of UMASS game in that no turnovers and little to no penalties.  Clean game.

Identify your two primary Rb's to use to open up SEC the following week.  Knocking the rust of JQ

Another LB to step up besides Assante.  We feel good about what we have in him, but shaky about anyone else at this point.

At least 4 downfield (40 yards plus) shots with at least 2 of them completed.

Getting Shorter some touches (he led the NCAA last year in yards per catch) and only has 1 target in 2 games.

8 to 10 targets to Fairweather.

5 or fewer penalties

Samford is a pass first O, 2 strip sacks and 2 ints by our D.

A special teams TD

The new halftime lightshow

72 degrees and a beautiful AU orange and blue sunset

Our homecoming court

Orange facemarks -- just kidding 

• Like 1

TBH, I mainly just want to get through this one with a Win. I know our D looked much better at Cal, but this Stamford offense is really good and is returning a lot of starters from their best offensive season ever last year. Also their run D is their weakness, so I know we'll be tempted to run a lot to control time of possession. 

Based on that, I really want to see: 

• More than 20 pass attempts by Thorne
  • 2 or more throwing TDs
  • A blistering pass rush and a strong pass D. I've heard so much about our new edge players and they're going to get a lot of chances this weekend. 

An improvement in the fundamentals and techniques  of football.    

Line up correctly

Run correct routes

Hold the ball correctly high and tight.  in the correct hand.  finger placement.

proper footwork/ hand work/ polished specific techniques and moves

etc.

Anything else will just be dressing.  Can we really learn much from stats vs Samford?

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

On 9/14/2023 at 9:22 AM, Win4AU said:

1) Jarquez running some of that “rust” off

2) Thorne looking more relaxed and making better decisions 

3) Holden getting the 2nd string snaps and either showing us he’s not ready or making some throws.  

4) No injuries on D

Samford should go a lot like UMass.  Probably not going to be very flashy 

Also 0 turnovers please

Lots of intentional work on the passing game, even though we all know we could run it down Samford's throat.  It's fine to run it and score points, but we don't need to rack up 450 yds rushing and throw for 120.

No more QB rotation.  If Robby comes in, it's at garbage time.  We've got to get Thorne and the offense more practice running all aspects of this offense in all downs, distances and game situations.

The offensive coaches figuring out ways to emphasize what these players on offense are or can be good at, what it probably beyond their talent level and capabilities, and adjusting the playcalling going forward accordingly.  

Developing more creative ways to get these WRs more openings and separation.

i want to see them jump out to a great start. get the "O" tuned up early and rest the starters. AND i will be hoping miss state will bring it against the jimbo's so they do not get the rest we do. i will not get to see it unless i get lucky on youtube tonight. i hope everyone traveling is safe and has a great time!

On 9/15/2023 at 10:27 AM, LPTiger said:

At least 4 downfield (40 yards plus) shots with at least 2 of them completed.

Getting Shorter some touches (he led the NCAA last year in yards per catch) and only has 1 target in 2 games.

8 to 10 targets to Fairweather.

We are well on our way at the half.   Check, check and check.

On 9/15/2023 at 12:43 PM, TitanTiger said:

Lots of intentional work on the passing game, even though we all know we could run it down Samford's throat.  It's fine to run it and score points, but we don't need to rack up 450 yds rushing and throw for 120.

No more QB rotation.  If Robby comes in, it's at garbage time.  We've got to get Thorne and the offense more practice running all aspects of this offense in all downs, distances and game situations.

The offensive coaches figuring out ways to emphasize what these players on offense are or can be good at, what it probably beyond their talent level and capabilities, and adjusting the playcalling going forward accordingly.  

Developing more creative ways to get these WRs more openings and separation.

I feel like we did at least 80% of this. I’m happy with our plan and happy to see Payton run it so well. Got to work on those interceptions and the offensive line needs to impose its will more. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I feel like we did at least 80% of this. I’m happy with our plan and happy to see Payton run it so well. Got to work on those interceptions and the offensive line needs to impose its will more. 

The first interception likely wouldn’t have happened if the previous low percentage corner passes weren’t called.