2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Most of us aren't asking for contention yet, just some improvement (see sig).

One of the most logical post I have ever seen you make haha. My fear is if we suck on the offensive end, the recruits we got this year may transfer.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am hoping for hank brown to please make major strides. I don't think I can stomach another season of PT. Nice young man, but he is who he is.

Hope so, his inexperience is scary.

17 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

So your stance is that literally any portal QB would have elevated the QB room, but it wouldn't be a gamble? 

My stance is this. I worry that HB and WW won't be ready to take over the team next yr. Long term? Yes. I would prefer they get an upgrade to PT for 1 yr to bridge that gap. That's no more of a gamble than relying on a True Fresh and another guy that's taken 9 snaps to run the show. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

That's no more of a gamble than relying on a True Fresh and another guy that's taken 9 snaps to run the show. 

...and vice versa. That's my point. 

6 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

6 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

We just have a different opinion and that's cool. Looks like u will get your wish as it doesn't appear Freeze will add a portal QB. Time will tell who was right. But, I will be shocked if PT isn't the starter next yr, if Freeze doest bring in another QB. Then good luck to holding onto Cam and Perry

Edited by NWALA Tiger

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

One of the most logical post I have ever seen you make haha. My fear is if we suck on the offensive end, the recruits we got this year may transfer.

I think your fear may come true. Two 5 stars who were sold on early playing time will definitely be looking get theirs. There will be a lot of pressure on the QB and the play caller. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FB11 said:

I think your fear may come true. Two 5 stars who were sold on early playing time will definitely be looking get theirs. There will be a lot of pressure on the QB and the play caller. 

I think we have about zero percent chance with RW if we do NOT get a QB.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think we have about zero percent chance with RW if we do NOT get a QB.

Its hard to make sense of going all in on RW while standing pat at QB. The ON3 guys have all but said no way he comes if another QB isnt brought in.

1 minute ago, CR said:

Its hard to make sense of going all in on RW while standing pat at QB. The ON3 guys have all but said no way he comes if another QB isnt brought in.

I truly believe we went all in on the recruiting class now using family techniques to rope other people in. My fear is the lack of line play and QB talent. Repeat of Gus to get awesome skill players but no line play...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

Haha thanks. I go back and forth between thinking my five year expectation timetable is just right or too low. As my sig states, I'm guessing the SEC goes to 9 games in 2026 so that *could* drag down the average SEC team's record a little.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

We just have a different opinion and that's cool. Looks like u will get your wish as it doesn't appear Freeze will add a portal QB. Time will tell who was right. But, I will be shocked if PT isn't the starter next yr, if Freeze doest bring in another QB. Then good luck to holding onto Cam and Perry

My wish is that CHF will play the guy that gives them the best possible chance to win. I'm not specifically saying that guy is currently on the roster, and I'm not specifically saying that guy is not currently in the portal. What I am saying is, only looking to the portal for a QB will not work out for specific reasons. 1) There's no one AU can get that 100% increases their win total, 2) 1st year transfer QBs typically don't do well, and 3) PT is a prime example of #1 and #2. If you want to bring another transfer in to be the next PT, then fine. I'd rather CHF evaluate well in the Spring with who is here and sell out on him come Fall. 

8 hours ago, DAG said:

My fear is the lack of line play and QB talent.

The online is and has always been the starting point for offense. Get a great line and a decent QB can look great.

Likewise a mediocre OL can make a good QB look bad (see Bo Nix as example 1).

If Freeze thinks he has the OL pieces he needs (skeptical) then we could probably roll with who we have at QB. If not it makes more sense to NIL the line up instead of adding one more stud WR.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DAG said:

I truly believe we went all in on the recruiting class now using family techniques to rope other people in. My fear is the lack of line play and QB talent. Repeat of Gus to get awesome skill players but no line play...

We will have to wait and see. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gman87 said:

The online is and has always been the starting point for offense. Get a great line and a decent QB can look great.

Likewise a mediocre OL can make a good QB look bad (see Bo Nix as example 1).

If Freeze thinks he has the OL pieces he needs (skeptical) then we could probably roll with who we have at QB. If not it makes more sense to NIL the line up instead of adding one more stud WR.

I actually don't think the line is as bad as people make them out to be but I am not so sure by next year they will be up to the standards needed to make a PT proficient.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

I actually don't think the line is as bad as people make them out to be but I am not so sure by next year they will be up to the standards needed to make a PT proficient.

Yep I agree the line has gotten much better but still not where we need it to be and I do not think the OL is PTs problem nor will it be his savior. 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

17 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Yep I agree the line has gotten much better but still not where we need it to be and I do not think the OL is PTs problem nor will it be his savior. 

Good to hear from ya bud. Hope all is well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AUwent said:

Most of us aren't asking for contention yet, just some improvement (see sig).

He’s going to get three years to do this...

If he doesn’t, fire, rinse and repeat. 

11 hours ago, CR said:

I don't blame him but what's funny is that his QB next year will be Jalen Milroe.

If RW wants an experienced QB (who will play in the NFL) right away he should just go to Georgia.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Good to hear from ya bud. Hope all is well. 

Oh yeah all is good. Living life and watching Auburn's situation playing out from a distance. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Posted in the Rivals Recruiting channel, but has anyone heard anything on the USCe transfer Tanner Bailey?

image.png.8a27d34b915e4e9f0733a0a7de66572f.png

So, I'm a New Testament professor who reads Greek. The Greek word on this young man's post means "to forget, to disregard." Does that seem weird to anyone? Make sense to anyone?

• Haha 1

If you're a southern baptist, I seriously doubt you do read greek. Or otherwise it's heavily, heavily through broken glasses.

There's no way you could be a Southern Baptist then. I've never met a Southern Baptist you could actually read most English, let alone for century Greek

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

If you're a southern baptist, I seriously doubt you do read greek. Or otherwise it's heavily, heavily through broken glasses.

There's no way you could be a Southern Baptist then. I've never met a Southern Baptist you could actually read most English, let alone for century Greek

What faith/denomination typed your last sentence?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Aren’t you kind!! Lol