2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

WR | I still expect two more receivers to hit the portal and we want to add at least one more from the portal. Though I haven't seen any buzz recently

Moore is in the portal

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

LB | We would like to add one more on the interior. South Alabama's Khalil Jacobs just visited on the 30th and has received an offer.

Feeling very good

DB:  I think we may be looking at a Safety as well

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Moore is in the portal

Feeling very good

DB:  I think we may be looking at a Safety as well

I missed Moore entering. Thank God.

Just now, Zeek said:

Heard it today

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

So, I saw an article that said CHF is planning to add 4 more players through the portal.

@AUpreacherman22 Sounds like the staff will be good if they only add 2 more players, ILB & CB. but will keep an eye out at other positions.

Any idea on targets and or visits?

Khalil Jacobs, USA LB just visited AU. And 4* transfer CB Javion Cole from San Jose St. is visiting next week.

It’s been really quiet since our flurry last week.  

Staff has been out making eval visits on 2025 & 26 class kids.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zeek said:

we want to add at least one more from the portal

@Zeek I agree if we lose 2 more but where have you seen we wanted at least 1 more transfer? JLee has said for a week or more that it's an option to take 1 more but that we weren't definitely going to.

Dang!  T. Dawson has a hotplate strapped to his butt don't he?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Dang!  T. Dawson has a hotplate strapped to his butt don't he?

English...

• Haha 1

Just now, ellitor said:

English...

Talking about Dawson just left us last year & went to play for Deion & now he's in the portal again.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Zeek said:

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Zeek I agree if we lose 2 more but where have you seen we wanted at least 1 more transfer? JLee has said for a week or more that it's an option to take 1 more but that we weren't definitely going to.

Just looking at depth and expected losses. Koy just left and I still think Burton will be gone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Just looking at depth and expected losses. Koy just left and I still think Burton will be gone.

FWIW, I agree

• Like 1

Do we have any interest in Tony Mitchell (DB from Thompson who just hit the portal from bama)?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tinman1 said:

Do we have any interest in Tony Mitchell (DB from Thompson who just hit the portal from bama)?

you think!?

44 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

you think!?

I hope so.  He does have a bit of baggage but we did really want him out of high school.

2 hours ago, tinman1 said:

@tinman1 he’s interested in Auburn, but it remains to be determined if Auburn is interested in him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

@tinman1 he’s interested in Auburn, but it remains to be determined if Auburn is interested in him.

He'd have to be willing to sit a year along with a couple other stipulations 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He'd have to be willing to sit a year along with a couple other stipulations 

How can the SEC enforce a transfer sit-out rule when the NCAA can't? Genuinely asking.

28 minutes ago, phillyeagle said:

How can the SEC enforce a transfer sit-out rule when the NCAA can't? Genuinely asking.

@phillyeagle The NCAA could still at the moment if they wanted to but they chose not to by changing their own rules to where transfers can play immediately. Conferences can still go above that & set their own internal conference transfer rules.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, phillyeagle said:

I don't pretend to understand the SEC or NCAA rules.  It's a convoluted mess full of traps and snares

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

@phillyeagle The NCAA could still at the moment if they wanted to but they chose not to by changing their own rules to where transfers can play immediately. Conferences can still go above that & set their own internal conference transfer rules.

Well then, will Aden Holloway have to sit a year at bammer? If not, why not?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don't pretend to understand the SEC or NCAA rules.  It's a convoluted mess full of traps and snares

I was thinking the other day it may be a good thing if the school that a kid is transferring TO (or the player themself) ,  has to pay a % back of the Original school's  (transferring from) NIL investment.  Esp.  at the level of the SEC.  May be the SEC can work something  similar out.

This will  slow down a lot of transfers.

It is not right for a school to invest large amounts of money, time, and training in a kid only to have them transfer to a rival, pretrained, for a little more $.  It is a lost investment and there should be some protection. 

The way it is now,  it is just a mater of time before medium "sized" schools tell players to go to Auburn (example) for a very low NIL.  Use AU's training facilities and nutrition program,  and next year when you are a little more mature and ready to hit the field,  we give you a huge NIL to transfer to here (La. Mo.). 

^^^ no more redshirting players for smaller schools.   Just send them to the school with the BEST training the player can get into at low NIL....  with a large NIL carrot in a year for transferring. 

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

19 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Talking about Dawson just left us last year & went to play for Deion & now he's in the portal again.

Love Deion and think he’s good for CFB, but anyone who committed to that program…questionable decision 

Tarvarish (sp?) did have some good showings when he got PT for them though. Hope he lands somewhere more steady 

20 hours ago, Zeek said:

I really really think Burton has potential. Need to keep him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I was thinking the other day it may be a good thing if the school that a kid is transferring TO (or the player themself) ,  has to pay a % back of the Original school's  (transferring from) NIL investment.  Esp.  at the level of the SEC.  May be the SEC can work something  similar out.

This will  slow down a lot of transfers.

It is not right for a school to invest large amounts of money, time, and training in a kid only to have them transfer to a rival, pretrained, for a little more $.  It is a lost investment and there should be some protection. 

The way it is now,  it is just a mater of time before medium "sized" schools tell players to go to Auburn (example) for a very low NIL.  Use AU's training facilities and nutrition program,  and next year when you are a little more mature and ready to hit the field,  we give you a huge NIL to transfer to here (La. Mo.). 

^^^ no more redshirting players for smaller schools.   Just send them to the school with the BEST training the player can get into at low NIL....  with a large NIL carrot in a year for transferring. 

NIL is not paid by the school.