2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

18 hours ago, DAG said:

There I say…I am starting to get excited .

image.gif

• Haha 2

Penn State site's video breakdown of KeAndre from two weeks ago that explores which receiver position fits him best. They didn't mention him as being a candidate to enter the portal, so perhaps Penn State wanted to play him in a spot he didn't wanna play. Just speculating. Anyway, ton of footage of him in it.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

You got us beating Oklahoma? Wow. 

@DAG OU historically has not been a great road team, even against less talented teams. That was in a Big 12 that's weaker than the SEC. Life on the road in year 1 in the SEC could be tough for OU. Also AU is their 1st SEC road game. The atmosphere will be nothing like they have ever seen in the Big 12, especially when you factor they never had to go to Austin to play Teexas.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@DAG OU historically has not been a great road team, even against less talented teams. That was in a Big 12 that's weaker than the SEC. Life on the road in year 1 in the SEC could be tough for OU. Also AU is their 1st SEC road game. The atmosphere will be nothing like they have ever seen in the Big 12, especially when you factor they never had to go to Austin to play Teexas.

True. I can see the opposite happening as well too and them getting up BIG TIME for this game to prove their belong. I certainly am not ready to pencil this in as a W.

• Like 3

I don't understand getting more wrs, we already have too many that are going to want the ball. We need QBs that can get the ball to them.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't understand getting more wrs, we already have too many that are going to want the ball. We need QBs that can get the ball to them.

I think it's pretty evident that freeze thinks we do have that quarterback. We'll see what he does now that all the pieces are in place. Remember even Bo Nix  look terrible with what was surrounding him.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I like the young talent we have but we needed a proven veteran for this year.  I suspect a few of our receivers may take it as a message.  More than anything, we need a line that can pass block. Hopefully we have that.  Thorne will still have to prove himself every game.  Fortunately, we have a few games to get the bugs out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Yeah, I think they are overvalued. UTx is going to be a big problem for the SEC

I don’t have enough faith yet to say we beat OK. Mizzou might be a very tough win and we didn’t play them last year, luckily. I want to see play calling, WR play and OL play improve and look better the first 4 games, before we even worry about OK. To me, those wants will be difficult, but not impossible I hope. 

• Like 1

Thorne is not taking this team to the playoffs. 

But we could maybe get to 8 wins now. Win the bowl game for once and I'd be happy with a 9-4 finish. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, shabby said:

I think it's pretty evident that freeze thinks we do have that quarterback. We'll see what he does now that all the pieces are in place. Remember even Bo Nix  look terrible with what was surrounding him.

Bo didn't look terrible but he looked like Bo because he couldn't play in that system. It wasn't like Bo was doing something good and the players around him did bad. He went to a school whose conference doesn't play the type of defense they here. He also went to a system where they didn't ask him to make pro throws. That worked out well for him, except when they played a SEC team. Then he looked the same. 

The super game manager isn't going to work here yet. We don't have the line or the defense. Yet. Right now here we need a QB that will put it on his back and will make accurate throws even under pressure. 

And I disagree I think it was evident he didn't think he did, he just felt he didn't have anybody if that guy became upset and transferred. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I like the young talent we have but we needed a proven veteran for this year.  I suspect a few of our receivers may take it as a message.  More than anything, we need a line that can pass block. Hopefully we have that.  Thorne will still have to prove himself every game.  Fortunately, we have a few games to get the bugs out.

I feel that, and agree. But I'm saying if you are going to bring in somebody the needs of QB and o line is far greater IMO. Freshmen can come in and make impacts at wr and HB pretty easy if they are physically gifted enough. O line and QB not so much

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Auburn Football Schedule 2024

Aug. 31 vs. Ala. A&M
Sept. 7 vs. California
Sept. 14 vs. New Mexico
Sept. 21 vs. Arkansas
Sept. 28 vs. Oklahoma
Oct. 5 at Georgia
Oct. 12 Idle
Oct. 19 at Missouri
Oct. 26 at Kentucky
Nov. 2 vs. Vanderbilt
Nov. 9 Idle
Nov. 16 vs. UL Monroe
Nov. 23 vs. Texas A&M
Nov. 30 at Alabama
Dec. 7 SEC Championship

I have us 5-0 going into UGA.

A loss at UGA

Mizzou is gonna be tough and most likely a L, but the bye helps us tremendously 

Wins vs UK, Vandy

TAMU is a toss up, but at home I lean W.

That's 7-3 to 9-1 going into Bama.

I think this is a reasonable expectation for year two. Anything less than 7-8 is a problem.I’d almost say 8 should be the floor expectation with this staff and roster. When the weak link of your offense is a 5th year QB with 8300 yards passing 8 wins should be very reasonable.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't understand getting more wrs, we already have too many that are going to want the ball.

@cole256 Nost of the ones we had before the incoming freshman class & transfers we brought in since January simply aren't good. They couldn't run the correct routes, much less catch the ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DAG said:

There I say…I am starting to get excited .

Another Lucy and Charlie Brown moment for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

55 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@cole256 Nost of the ones we had before the incoming freshman class & transfers we brought in since January simply aren't good. They couldn't run the correct routes, much less catch the ball.

I agree the receivers were bad, but I also agree with Cole's assessment of Thorne. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

Auburn Football Schedule 2024

Aug. 31 vs. Ala. A&M
Sept. 7 vs. California
Sept. 14 vs. New Mexico
Sept. 21 vs. Arkansas
Sept. 28 vs. Oklahoma
Oct. 5 at Georgia
Oct. 12 Idle
Oct. 19 at Missouri
Oct. 26 at Kentucky
Nov. 2 vs. Vanderbilt
Nov. 9 Idle
Nov. 16 vs. UL Monroe
Nov. 23 vs. Texas A&M
Nov. 30 at Alabama
Dec. 7 SEC Championship

I have us 5-0 going into UGA.

A loss at UGA

Mizzou is gonna be tough and most likely a L, but the bye helps us tremendously 

Wins vs UK, Vandy

TAMU is a toss up, but at home I lean W.

That's 7-3 to 9-1 going into Bama.

I’m right at 8 wins.  But it will feel better than that because our O will be better.  Our O has to be better for continued recruiting.  Hopefully bowl game puts at 9.  I’d be more surprised if we had 7 regular season wins than if we had 10 bowl included wins

Edited by mustache eagle
  • Like 1

Until PT starts playing better, I’ll remain a bit skeptical on a good season. I’m not saying it’s not going to happen, I just don’t see it..

Maybe the talent around him can lift him up to a better level..
you can’t hide a mediocre QB in this league.. He’s going to have to perform 

• Like 1

After watching NMSU pummel us in JHS,  then get dismantled by Maryland, I’m in full wait and see mode on each game this season. Hate it, but that’s where it is with me.  

• Like 7

I have us beating Missou, but losing to Oklahoma.  

Barring an upset loss, I’m thinking most likely 8-4 to 9-3.  Would be great going into Bama 10-1 or 11-0 though.  😁

10 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

After watching NMSU pummel us in JHS,  then get dismantled by Maryland, I’m in full wait and see mode on each game this season. Hate it, but that’s where it is with me.  

Definitely a reasonable angle. The optimistic side though would be that both sides of the ball are under new management. 
We apparently had the talent to hang with bama and uga so even a small upgrade in talent and an upgrade in coaching could make a huge difference. 
Big emphasis on the could and the upgrade description is still waiting to be proven

All in all it’s hard to hate someone for being either optimistic or pessimistic. 

It’s going to be an interesting ride! 

• Like 2

On 4/25/2024 at 7:48 PM, ellitor said:

So frustrated at having drives die from receivers dropping the ball 

19 hours ago, aujohnson said:

Definitely a reasonable angle. The optimistic side though would be that both sides of the ball are under new management. 
We apparently had the talent to hang with bama and uga so even a small upgrade in talent and an upgrade in coaching could make a huge difference. 
Big emphasis on the could and the upgrade description is still waiting to be proven

All in all it’s hard to hate someone for being either optimistic or pessimistic. 

It’s going to be an interesting ride! 

The iron bowl is usually always a strange game, talent gets thrown out the window for that game. Auburn treats that game like a Super Bowl. The next game after the iron bowl with a break they came out and played arguably their worst game of the year.

Freeze is a good salesman but as coaching is concerned im more on the pessimistic side right now

On 4/25/2024 at 7:48 PM, ellitor said:

Help me understand,  they could not run a precise given route or could not adapt to the coverage and run an optional route.  First is effort and desire, second requires experience, both require coaching, neither is related to ability (see Kansas State under CBS)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sizzle said:

The iron bowl is usually always a strange game, talent gets thrown out the window for that game. Auburn treats that game like a Super Bowl. The next game after the iron bowl with a break they came out and played arguably their worst game of the year.

Freeze is a good salesman but as coaching is concerned im more on the pessimistic side right now

A lot of people would’ve been a lot less disappointed if they let themselves be this rational about the 2021 Iron Bowl. Oh well 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 9:52 PM, CR said:

Thorne has been given everything a QB could ask for to be successful. No excuses this year.

I keep seeing people say this but until I see a competent OL play to expectations, well..... Missouri. Maybe we were better at times last year but it still wasn't "good". Anybody that wants to argue that, I refer to exhibit A, Bo Nix.