2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

3 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

PT has a pile of weapons.  Zero excuses for poor QB play. None. Put boot to ass for AU PT. Let’s go 

The only excuse would be terrible play calling and I would hope and assume Hugh won’t have that issue.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

PT has a pile of weapons.  Zero excuses for poor QB play. None. Put boot to ass for AU PT. Let’s go 

Yes he does....but how well will the OLine improve to give him time to find these weapons.

2 hours ago, tinman1 said:

Yes he does....but how well will the OLine improve to give him time to find these weapons.

Come on man. The o line is fine , the rb room is fine and the WRs are fine. All of these groups are more than capable. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I won’t crystal ball predict on how Thorne will look this season. But I will point out the following:

- At Michigan State, when he had a solid run game and had a solid receiver to throw to, he relaxed and balled out. 
-Last season, his best games were the games where we were able to run the ball effectively. Minus drops (which were a major issue last year), he had ridiculously good completion percentages in those games. 

If we can run block well, the added weapons should majorly open up the passing game. I’m not saying I think he’ll break Auburn records. But he should be good enough to manage the game effectively. In an RPO scheme like Freeze’s, you don’t need a world beater at QB. You just need someone who can confidently make the right reads. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

Come on man. The o line is fine , the be room is fine and the WRs are fine. All of these groups are more than capable. 

Yep...In fact I can’t remember the last time we were ok at o line headed into a season 

• Like 2

So what are we missing now to be a contender? 
We seem to have addressed our weaknesses and were competitive with the best we played last year. 
We assume the offensive system and play calling will be better. 
At which positions do we need to get better to get over the hump?

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

I won’t crystal ball predict on how Thorne will look this season. But I will point out the following:

- At Michigan State, when he had a solid run game and had a solid receiver to throw to, he relaxed and balled out. 
-Last season, his best games were the games where we were able to run the ball effectively. Minus drops (which were a major issue last year), he had ridiculously good completion percentages in those games. 

If we can run block well, the added weapons should majorly open up the passing game. I’m not saying I think he’ll break Auburn records. But he should be good enough to manage the game effectively. In an RPO scheme like Freeze’s, you don’t need a world beater at QB. You just need someone who can confidently make the right reads. 

And CHF doing the play calling. That and recruiting got him where he is now.

So Coach, when you read my comment, take note. Start winning regularly before you give up the play calling.

• Like 1

Ok what happens if the ASU QB Jaden Rashada signs with AU?  I wonder if he is willing to back up PT then compete for the starting job as a sophomore?

Freeze is killing it in the Portal plus a great freshman class that will give us one or two starters and depth. We now have both talent and experience at WR and RB. It appears we have beefed up O-line and D-line. We look strong at LB and we have talent at DB but some have not been tested.

If QB is solid and DB's play well we should be improved a good bit. I would like to say we will be real good but I need to see the product on the field before I get to excited.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

That is a win. I can't believe we outbid TAM with NIL. This is an old fashioned recruiting win based on relationships. This is different from getting unknown guys from North Texas, Hawaii, and small schools. We know the portal now. 

It's never straight forward. I'm sure A&M has a higher overall NIL number than we do. But everyone tries to stay within the "market."  You don't want to go back and have a bunch of guys feeling they got a bad deal because of what you paid the new guy.  It's complicated, and I trust Hugh more than almost anyone to navigate those treacherous waters.  We needed a proven WR a lot and that matters too.  

• Like 1

I'm not only impressed that we landed this guy, but I've been very impressed with how Freeze has handled the portal this go around. Looks like he actually made adjustments

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I'm not only impressed that we landed this guy, but I've been very impressed with how Freeze has handled the portal this go around. Looks like he actually made adjustments

We've landed everyone we targeted 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I think the GM/Personnel hires have made a huge difference in the portal recruiting compared to last year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Did I see where Javarious Johnson still hasn’t found a home? How’s that possible? Could he come back?

No spot with the group now on the roster.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Come on man. The o line is fine , the be room is fine and the WRs are fine. All of these groups are more than capable. 

Thorne has been given everything a QB could ask for to be successful. No excuses this year.

• Like 3

There I say…I am starting to get excited .

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We've landed everyone we targeted 

Off the top of my head we missed on AJ Harris. Wouldn't be suprised if we missed on a few others as well.

24 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

More like...

Steve Austin Entrance GIFs | Tenor

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Off the top of my head we missed on AJ Harris. Wouldn't be suprised if we missed on a few others as well.

party pooper

2 hours ago, aujohnson said:

So what are we missing now to be a contender? 
We seem to have addressed our weaknesses and were competitive with the best we played last year. 
We assume the offensive system and play calling will be better. 
At which positions do we need to get better to get over the hump?

I still think, if the numbers allow, they would take another D-lineman if they could. They may not be able to in order to keep the younger guys on the roster happy, but better chances if they’re one-and-done guys. Of the 3 we got this week, I think Bliddi is the only one that seems to be a likely starter. Raikes has always been a backup at A&M and has issues getting pushed around at times. I have to think that it’s gonna be a mixture of him and Jayson Jones at nose or however Durkin is actually going to line them up. Crawford is like this year’s version of McLeod, but he’s not gonna beat out McLeod for the starting spot. He’s an excellent addition and provides quality depth to the outside D-line/edges but he’s a sub guy. Auburn is still lacking a guy that will be good enough to win the starting job on the interior within the first few practices. 

If Holden goes, Auburn likely snags a QB. If Battie, Alston, or Cobb go, we’d certainly grab an RB. I think we’ll probably try to take at least 1, maybe 2 DBs to replace Hood and Scott but also to bolster the back end with a bit more depth. Maybe a LB? Other than that, the only other position I could see is us taking another OL for added depth, but that would have to be the exact right fit and situation to work, otherwise we risk alienating some of the HS dudes we’re working on for the ‘25 class.

So, if the current roster stays the same, I’d think 4-5 more at most? Probably just 4 as it turns out: 2 DBs, likely a QB, and maybe either a LB or another DL.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Did I see where Javarious Johnson still hasn’t found a home? How’s that possible? Could he come back?

Every year there are guys who don't get to another P5 program and wind up worse off than they were. West Georgia's NIL pool is not very deep.

• Like 1