2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

52 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Off the top of my head we missed on AJ Harris. Wouldn't be suprised if we missed on a few others as well.

Thanks auwent 

sorry e couldn’t resist 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Off the top of my head we missed on AJ Harris. Wouldn't be suprised if we missed on a few others as well.

Who?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, aujohnson said:

So what are we missing now to be a contender? 
We seem to have addressed our weaknesses and were competitive with the best we played last year. 
We assume the offensive system and play calling will be better. 
At which positions do we need to get better to get over the hump?

QB, WR, and DB. Until progress is shown on the field, it is still a deficiency. Feeling good about the new players is great. Just don't count on them until they produce. 

QB- My personal biggest want. The position has held Auburn football back for so long.

WR- Drops and half-assed blocking need to disappear. For the record, drops have been an issue since Trooper Taylor was coaching them. 

DL- The Defensive line should not be giving up 4-7 yards on first down. It was no wonder that Auburn had issues with 3rd downs last season. It was always third and short. 

Edited by Chaotic_zx

6 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

QB, WR, and DB. Until progress is shown on the field, it is still a deficiency. Feeling good about the new players is great. Just don't count on them until they produce. 

QB- My personal biggest want. The position has held Auburn football back for so long.

WR- Drops and half-assed blocking need to disappear. For the record, drops have been an issue since Trooper Taylor was coaching them. 

DL- The Defensive line should not be giving up 4-7 yards on first down. It was no wonder that Auburn had issues with 3rd downs last season. It was always third and short. 

I think your assessment is fair. AU moderators are trying to lead a conversation that getting Lambert transforms our team. We are still a seven win team. I think expectations need to be held in check this year again. We have a better roster, but it has to be coordinated into a cohesive unit. The world is in chaos and football is like life. It is hard to get a handle on things without elite leadership and supreme fire power. 

11 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I'm not only impressed that we landed this guy, but I've been very impressed with how Freeze has handled the portal this go around. Looks like he actually made adjustments

11 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

I think your assessment is fair. AU moderators are trying to lead a conversation that getting Lambert transforms our team. We are still a seven win team. I think expectations need to be held in check this year again. We have a better roster, but it has to be coordinated into a cohesive unit. The world is in chaos and football is like life. It is hard to get a handle on things without elite leadership and supreme fire power. 

Getting Lambert doesn't in and of itself transform the team, but it adds quality experience to the WR corps to go along with the influx of talented freshmen we signed. Combined with the other additions to the team, I don't think it's unfair to say the unit has been transformed. How many new starters will we have? How many additions to the 2-deep?

The question is whether the transformation is a healthy one. I refuse to enter this season with my expectations set at a 7-win year because I do think we'll be better than that.

But apparently it's a bad thing for me, a moderator, to lead a conversation suggesting that getting Lambert completes (or at least furthers) a transformation of the team we had last year. Heaven forbid that we think a better roster should lead to better results and try to encourage Auburn fans to be positive about the coming season...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Getting Lambert doesn't in and of itself transform the team, but it adds quality experience to the WR corps to go along with the influx of talented freshmen we signed. Combined with the other additions to the team, I don't think it's unfair to say the unit has been transformed. How many new starters will we have? How many additions to the 2-deep?

The question is whether the transformation is a healthy one. I refuse to enter this season with my expectations set at a 7-win year because I do think we'll be better than that.

But apparently it's a bad thing for me, a moderator, to lead a conversation suggesting that getting Lambert completes (or at least furthers) a transformation of the team we had last year. Heaven forbid that we think a better roster should lead to better results and try to encourage Auburn fans to be positive about the coming season...

WR overall has definitely been upgraded. I'm not referring to any particular moderator or forum. I certainly didn't have you in mind when I wrote this. I don't know what you have said. Our roster is better. Still, let us not over hype what we just got. I am excited about the direction. I just don't want to see Auburn be its worst enemy when Hugh does some bad coaching. There are a lot of coaches having bad games repeatedly. There aren't many great ones out there.

Edited by Auburn93
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, aujohnson said:

So what are we missing now to be a contender? 
We seem to have addressed our weaknesses and were competitive with the best we played last year. 
We assume the offensive system and play calling will be better. 
At which positions do we need to get better to get over the hump?

A better QB

• Like 2

WR room - waaaay better

RB room - at worst same, probably better

TE room - better

OL room - better (I think/hope much better)

coaching, cohesion, play calling, scheme  - better

QB room - at worst same, should naturally be better

we aren’t a playoff team but we will be much better on offense with respectable numbers.  My guess is we play more uptempo with at least 10-12 more plays a game with most of that being passes.  At a 60-65% completion that’s around 50 more yards a game x 13 games equals pushing nearly 3000 yards passing next season.  With a solid run game equivalent to last year and a defense equivalent to last year … 

The transfer DL and new WR are essential to make this happen.  We are gonna have to rotate DL at a much higher clip because we’ll be more uptempo on O because our O HAS to show notable improvement.

Edited by mustache eagle
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, CR said:

Thorne has been given everything a QB could ask for to be successful. No excuses this year.

And in my opinion he needs to be on a short leash to prove himself as true QB1.

I say if he is not just clicking right along by game #3, its time to give Hank or Walker a shot.

14 hours ago, DAG said:

Come on man. The o line is fine , the rb room is fine and the WRs are fine. All of these groups are more than capable. 

My comment was made on what I saw last year when Thorne was running for his life.  I know we've made improvements since then but it is yet to be determined if it translates on the field.

1 hour ago, Auburn93 said:

WR overall has definitely been upgraded. I'm not referring to any particular moderator or forum. I certainly didn't have you in mind when I wrote this. I don't know what you have said. Our roster is better. Still, let us not over hype what we just got. I am excited about the direction. I just don't want to see Auburn be its worst enemy when Hugh does some bad coaching. There are a lot of coaches having bad games repeatedly. There aren't many great ones out there.

To be fair, I knew you weren't specifically talking about me because I haven't been talking on the subject. I was going to bat for those in my position... but then, I really don't know what, exactly, is being said about this except for what's on this board. He's supposed to be the best WR in the portal this round, but that doesn't mean we're dealing with the next Randy Moss here, it just means he's the best we could reasonably have hoped to add to the WR room in the portal.

That said, you're not wrong that we should be slow to put great expectations on this year's team. I prefer to look at it as a floor/ceiling type of deal... but 7 wins is the absolute floor for this team, IMHO, and that's only if we suffer key injuries. I don't think we're a true playoff contender, but I think we're good enough that we'll get some hype so long as we aren't too slow out of the gate, and with just a touch of Auburn magic we could be right in the thick of things.

So no, don't put lofty expectations on us, but don't count us out, either.

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

So no, don't put lofty expectations on us, but don't count us out, either.

Have you seen the modern AU fan?

Good luck with this.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, tinman1 said:

My comment was made on what I saw last year when Thorne was running for his life.  I know we've made improvements since then but it is yet to be determined if it translates on the field.

Some of the running for his life was his own doing. The other could be blame on the o lineman/WRs/Scheme. I think the offensive line got way too much blame last year. I tend to think the WR play and schemes were worse. It would seem all of these have been approved. He has all the support now with an extra year to boot and full support from the staff. There should be no more excuses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

With Jerry Kill and and NM Sate QB at Vandy, I'm not taking Vandy for granted as some are.

After that embarrassing loss to NMSU and Maryland in the bowl game I’m not taking any game for granted 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Rednilla said:

me too. I think we have a real chance for 8 wins. 

On 4/23/2024 at 2:44 PM, Zeek said:

Steiner leaving is honestly for the better on both sides. For someone who scored so insanely high on his physical measurements he has looked so slow and awful at Auburn. I think maybe his brain and body just don’t process at the same time. Instincts are hard for overly cerebral players. This is a good sign regarding the freshmen linebackers we brought in early.

Scott was practically processed. The staff didn’t plan on taking DBs in the portal but some better names have emerged than expected. Additionally some young guys are coming on really strong.

Hood stings a little but not as much as some might think. Keionte Scott, Kayin Lee, Champ Anthony, Jay Crawford, and Jerrin Thomson are all ahead of him for me. I’d like to see Auburn get longer at corner too instead of 5’11” I’d love to see more rangey 6’2” guys. Makes a difference. 

Looks like Scott got unprocessed! Here's hoping to improves and does some good things on the field this year because it seems like he has a lot of the tools we're looking for. 

image.png

• Like 4

16 hours ago, DAG said:

There I say…I am starting to get excited .

image.gif.6591d7d35ba9e923c4646f50f301d36f.gif

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

If Auburn lands Jaden Rashada will we make the playoffs?

He committed to UGA today 

5 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

we aren’t a playoff team

Auburn Football Schedule 2024

Aug. 31 vs. Ala. A&M
Sept. 7 vs. California
Sept. 14 vs. New Mexico
Sept. 21 vs. Arkansas
Sept. 28 vs. Oklahoma
Oct. 5 at Georgia
Oct. 12 Idle
Oct. 19 at Missouri
Oct. 26 at Kentucky
Nov. 2 vs. Vanderbilt
Nov. 9 Idle
Nov. 16 vs. UL Monroe
Nov. 23 vs. Texas A&M
Nov. 30 at Alabama
Dec. 7 SEC Championship

I have us 5-0 going into UGA.

A loss at UGA

Mizzou is gonna be tough and most likely a L, but the bye helps us tremendously 

Wins vs UK, Vandy

TAMU is a toss up, but at home I lean W.

That's 7-3 to 9-1 going into Bama.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I imagine this is how Freeze walks into his office everyday with how he is killing recruiting lately.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Auburn Football Schedule 2024

Aug. 31 vs. Ala. A&M
Sept. 7 vs. California
Sept. 14 vs. New Mexico
Sept. 21 vs. Arkansas
Sept. 28 vs. Oklahoma
Oct. 5 at Georgia
Oct. 12 Idle
Oct. 19 at Missouri
Oct. 26 at Kentucky
Nov. 2 vs. Vanderbilt
Nov. 9 Idle
Nov. 16 vs. UL Monroe
Nov. 23 vs. Texas A&M
Nov. 30 at Alabama
Dec. 7 SEC Championship

I have us 5-0 going into UGA.

A loss at UGA

Mizzou is gonna be tough and most likely a L, but the bye helps us tremendously 

Wins vs UK, Vandy

TAMU is a toss up, but at home I lean W.

That's 7-3 to 9-1 going into Bama.

You got us beating Oklahoma? Wow. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

You got us beating Oklahoma? Wow. 

Yeah, I think they are overvalued. UTx is going to be a big problem for the SEC

• Like 2