2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

18 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

He is not that good, and he is not going to get what he wants. 

I don’t think any major D1 program head coach agrees. He’s considered on of the best players in the portal currently 

16 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This x 1000. We are really bad a some key positions. Guys I have zero confidence. Someone tell me I’m wrong . 

If the OL is as good as reported and Cobb is as talented as the staff believes and if Freeze really wasn’t calling/designing the offense last year, then we could see a drastic improvement even with Thorne. We have a better receiving group for sure. Defense looks better.

8-4 is attainable but I’m not convinced of anything more than that 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

I don’t think any major D1 program head coach agrees. He’s considered on of the best players in the portal currently 

Not denying he is in the portal or that he can run and catch the ball. Not denying he would be a good replacement for some of our 2 star players. Yet, how much are they going to pay? Penn State is not paying. He is no Cameron Coleman or Perry Thomas and I don't think we will pay him what we are paying them. Yet, it sounds like he is asking for that. That is what I'm saying. 

Edited by Auburn93

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

If the OL is as good as reported and Cobb is as talented as the staff believes and if Freeze really wasn’t calling/designing the offense last year, then we could see a drastic improvement even with Thorne. We have a better receiving group for sure. Defense looks better.

Not to a point where I have bought into HF as a coach yet. Recruiter, for sure, but skeptical about the rest. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Auburn93 said:

Not denying he is in the portal or that he can run and catch the ball. Not denying he would be a good replacement for some of our 2 star players. Yet, how much are they going to pay? Penn State is not paying. He is no Cameron Coleman or Perry Thomas and I don't think we will pay him what we are paying them. Yet, it sounds like he is asking for that. That is what I'm saying. 

Outside of the true freshman WR’s coming in, I believe Robert Lewis?, will end up being a great portal pick up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

Do you expect year 3 to be better despite how many starters we lose? Because that’s where I’m conflicted with what I’m asking for this year…if only half our projected starts by lineup were seniors I’d for sure take 7 wins, no question.

45 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Do you expect year 3 to be better despite how many starters we lose? Because that’s where I’m conflicted with what I’m asking for this year…if only half our projected starts by lineup were seniors I’d for sure take 7 wins, no question.

So hard to predict. I think we see an obnoxious amount of frosh playing this year. The portal has made it easier than ever to plug holes too. Year 3 is definitely a better schedule for us but it all focuses on QB play frankly. We’ll be looking for a new starter. Early signs of White aren’t impressive to me. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Not to a point where I have bought into HF as a coach yet. Recruiter, for sure, but skeptical about the rest. 

I believe that if CHF actually takes on full in-game play calling responsibilities, our offense could quite possibly get us into a 7+ win season. However, if he plays only part-time play caller, we may all be unhappy.

His strengths in his resume have been recruiting and play calling. Until AU gets loaded on Offense, he needs to be ready to do both—even if only for a season.

It can’t be a shared task between 2 coaches, which costs time and continuity. That’s as bad as rotating Quarterbacks.
JMO

I’m gonna hang up and wait for CHF phone call… 

Edited by au701948
  • Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 3:26 PM, Zeek said:

If I had to guess the staff’s evaluation of the backs right now from articles and some things that have been shared with me:

1. Jarquez

2. Cobb

3. Alston

4. Battie

I think years of eligibility left, ability as a receiver, and just preferences in build play a part in Cobb being viewed more favorably than Alston currently. This is coming from a running backs coach who actually was really high on Alston out of high school.

Cobb could be better in the long term but Alston is so underrated. He actually has vision and one-cut ability. Right now we’ve only seen Cobb as a gadget guy running East-West in a McCalebb role. He could definitely develop though.

JH is the best home run threat of the bunch because of pure speed. But he doesn’t really have great feet or vision. He’s a faster version of what Peyton Barber was for us - no patience, just straight downhill into the line, whether or not a hole is there. If it is - 70 yard TD. If it isn’t - no gain. Alston is a back that can actually make people miss and make something out of nothing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

So hard to predict. I think we see an obnoxious amount of frosh playing this year. The portal has made it easier than ever to plug holes too. Year 3 is definitely a better schedule for us but it all focuses on QB play frankly. We’ll be looking for a new starter. Early signs of White aren’t impressive to me. 

We’ve had one really good QB signed out of HS since Campbell left, and really most starting QBs in the league are from the portal anyways. 

Looking positive for Edge Keyron Crawford, DL Philip Blidi (no longer visiting OK), and NT Isaiah Raikes (who transferred to USC four months ago!?).

Rumors of a transfer out by a rising player on D who would play a lot this season.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 5:59 PM, Zeek said:

Early signs of White aren’t impressive to me. 

Are you serious??? Dude's head is spinning so how could you expect anything from him now? Arch Manning tore it up today! Do you know why? Because he had to have time to learn the system and that took a year. It takes time but you are already calling Walker a bust. 

Edited by maryland tiger
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

Are you serious??? Dude's head is spinning so how could you expect anything from him now? Arch Manning tore it up today! Do you know why? Because he had to have time to learn the system and that took a year. It takes time but you are already calling Walker a bust. 

I hope I’m wrong but I was concerned with his film and numbers coming out of high school too. It’s one thing to not know the full offense but his ball placement was brutal. We shall see.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 6:56 PM, AUght2win said:

Cobb could be better in the long term but Alston is so underrated. He actually has vision and one-cut ability. Right now we’ve only seen Cobb as a gadget guy running East-West in a McCalebb role. He could definitely develop though.

JH is the best home run threat of the bunch because of pure speed. But he doesn’t really have great feet or vision. He’s a faster version of what Peyton Barber was for us - no patience, just straight downhill into the line, whether or not a hole is there. If it is - 70 yard TD. If it isn’t - no gain. Alston is a back that can actually make people miss and make something out of nothing. 

Agreed, any time JH danced around in the backfield, it was lost yardage. 

• Like 1

Jay Fair had a ton of potential, but he just never fit into the plan here. Wonder if he lands at one of the major Texas schools.

Jaden Rashada is reportedly visiting. Georgia has been considered the favorite, but it seems like they have so many QBs already. Could we pony up the NIL here if we want to? Would we want to?

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Jaden Rashada is reportedly visiting. Georgia has been considered the favorite, but it seems like they have so many QBs already. Could we pony up the NIL here if we want to? Would we want to?

Good question. I wonder how the pursuit of juju lewis affects the budget for QB across the board? Hes going to command a huge price but I hope we can finally land a QB who makes the other players better instead of one who has to have other players lift him. 

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

If he leaves Georgia without being committed I’ll start entertaining Rashada. We have the money but is he okay with sitting the bench and if we’re fine with paying a backup that much.

Seems like a commitment. Definitely an upgrade to the interior of the defensive line. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

12 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Lovely...

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

X post deleted

IMG_7785.gif

IMG_7784.gif

IMG_7783.gif