2024 Transfer Portal Thread (Merged Zeek's New Thread)

AU80cruiser

On 4/21/2024 at 5:06 PM, AUght2win said:

White is the prospect I’m most excited about. More than Coleman. Just appears to be totally bought in and know his role as a potential face of the program. Physically I’m so impressed with his build. Reminds me of Andrew Luck - sturdy, muscular, ahead of schedule for a freshman for sure. I don’t know why you’d already be down on him. 

He just said in his post why he’s down on him. He said he doesn’t like his accuracy and could be a problem for him, that’s a fair criticism. But he’s only a freshman and has plenty of time to improve 

39 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

How do you feel about the three guys we're bringin in?

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952bvn9y2t3lm2ag3z5ub

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

He just said in his post why he’s down on him. He said he doesn’t like his accuracy and could be a problem for him, that’s a fair criticism. But he’s only a freshman and has plenty of time to improve 

Unless Zeek is going to practice every single day (and hey, maybe he is idk) I just don’t think there’s enough tape to judge his accuracy this early.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Wow!  Just like that, our DL looks a lot better!!!!🙌🙌🙌

They actually looked good in A-Day game. These our the type players we needed as we rotate so many D-Line players.

WAR EAGLE AND WELCOME TO AUBURN.

• Like 1

Crawford played at the same high School in Memphis that Freeze started his coaching career 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sizzle said:

People going to believe what they want. I don’t expect him to be ready next year and it will do him some good just to sit and learn. 

It’s a concern and one that was noted in high school. Here are a couple of excerpts from a 247 evaluator:

“Needs to cut down on the errant throws as he’s thrown more picks than any other blue-chip passer in the 2024 cycle, but TD-to-INT ratio did improve in his final prep season when he led his squad to the state finals.”

“Must improve his accuracy and get more consistent with his ball placement, but has the arm strength to attack the deeper third and occasionally flashes some touch.”

Edited by DAG
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

How do you feel about the three guys we're bringin in?

Our secondary is solid so any improvement and depth to the front seven is a win for Auburn's defense. Raikes and Blidi raise our floor at worst. I honestly think Durkin would benefit from running a more true 4 man front when possible and not expecting to have a powerful nose tackle. Blidi is a guy who doesn't pop on a stat sheet but creates enough chaos in the middle to be impactful. Raikes I honestly haven't gotten to watch much of but those who know more than me seem high on him.

The edge rusher is legit. Definitely helps the rotation there.

I would like to see a little more momentum in terms of landing a receiver or two in the portal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 4/20/2024 at 7:12 PM, cbo said:

Rumors of a transfer out by a rising player on D who would play a lot this season.

Colton Hood enters the transfer portal. This one stings. 

14 minutes ago, cbo said:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cbo said:

Was he upset at being redshirted? Or did he get beat out?

As he is just a freshman, I think he would have progressed tremendously this season.

I guess these freshmen see the writing on the wall. It used to be work hard and show them all. Now it’s go elsewhere.

Edited by CCTAU
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Was he upset at being redshirted? Or did he get beat out?

As he is just a freshman, I think he would have progressed tremendously this season.

Everything I've seen is he was likely the #3 CB, expected to play a lot this season. Young guy getting good reviews from coaches. So this one is a little odd to me. 

• Like 3

Just now, cbo said:

Everything I've seen is he was likely the #3 CB, expected to play a lot this season. Young guy getting good reviews from coaches. So this one is a little odd to me. 

It would be a shame if this is about money this early in their career.

• Like 1

Not enough to work on your craft and climb the charts. It's now or go somewhere else. 

Don't think I've seen on here that Wesley Steiner is also entering the portal.

He's the exact opposite of what we all are complaining about. Good kid, hard worker. Playing time diminishing. Freshman passing him by. 

There is no loyalty on either side. I get if you don't like that. Just remember it goes both ways. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cbo said:

Don't think I've seen on here that Wesley Steiner is also entering the portal.

He's the exact opposite of what we all are complaining about. Good kid, hard worker. Playing time diminishing. Freshman passing him by. 

There is no loyalty on either side. I get if you don't like that. Just remember it goes both ways. 

I thought Wes had been discussed. Excellent person, step slow. Freshmen aren’t passing him by because he is not liked, or worked hard, or hasn’t been given a chance to prove himself. After a couple of seasons, one realizes they are a step too slow for this level of football.

The freshmen leaving now did not even give themselves a chance after their redshirt year to see if they would progress. 

These are two different scenarios.

Edited by CCTAU
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

I thought Wes had been discussed. Excellent person, step slow. Freshmen aren’t passing him by because he is not liked, or worked hard, or hasn’t been given a chance to prove himself. After a couple of seasons, one realizes they are a step too slow for this level of football.

The freshmen leaving now did not even give themselves a chance after their redshirt year to see if they would progress. 

These are two different scenarios.

Like the majority of our transfers out, Wes is gone because AU didn't want him anymore. He is no longer useful, so he is benched and/or asked to leave. That's fine, it's the only way to win games. 

But then you can't expect someone like Hood to be loyal. AU wanted Hood to stay. He HAS progressed and knows where he stands, which is a good spot. He must be leaving for what he sees as a better opportunity, whether due to money, family, personal reasons, who knows. 

I don't love any of it but I don't fault the players more than the coaching staff. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Steiner leaving is honestly for the better on both sides. For someone who scored so insanely high on his physical measurements he has looked so slow and awful at Auburn. I think maybe his brain and body just don’t process at the same time. Instincts are hard for overly cerebral players. This is a good sign regarding the freshmen linebackers we brought in early.

Scott was practically processed. The staff didn’t plan on taking DBs in the portal but some better names have emerged than expected. Additionally some young guys are coming on really strong.

Hood stings a little but not as much as some might think. Keionte Scott, Kayin Lee, Champ Anthony, Jay Crawford, and Jerrin Thomson are all ahead of him for me. I’d like to see Auburn get longer at corner too instead of 5’11” I’d love to see more rangey 6’2” guys. Makes a difference. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Going forward, let's please start a new thread for each player when a transfer commits to AU like we have always done. When I have time, I have quite a bit of cleaning to do in this thread with the various commits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

WR Keandre Lambert-Smith from Penn state made his final 2. Us & Texas A&M. 

anybody know how we standing? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

WR Keandre Lambert-Smith from Penn state made his final 2. Us & Texas A&M. 

anybody know how we standing? 

I’d imagine A&M is the favorite because of what they can offer via NIL. But it would be very nice to have him. Maybe Freeze is giving the green light for competitive funds. The dude can definitely play and would fit what Freeze is looking for in this transfer spot because he only has the one year left.