Bama Postgame

bishoptf

2 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

The wait is not worth it. The disappointment is not worth it. The highs almost seem years from reach. My kids are growing up and I like many others on this board showed my ass worse than I have in a while in front of them. 

I feel ya. My last 2 kids are a junior and a senior at AU. The senior has been in the band his whole time there. There have been a LOT of lows since they’ve been there. To be honest, when the last one graduates, I think I’m done with it all. Like most of us on here, I’ve spent too much time letting this game ruin a lot of Saturdays. I’m addicted to golf, so from now on, as long as Bammer stays good, I’ll have the course to myself on Saturdays in the fall

• Haha 1

I remember in midget football when the coach would say “get in there number 0 and field the punt”. Of course we only had one number 0. How is the head coach supposed to know who is fielding the punt if we use multiple numbers?  I guess we’ve retired so many number at Auburn that players can’t have their own unique number?  Change the system. A pass rush would have won the game today. That’s ALL. 

1 hour ago, gulftiger66 said:

I remember in midget football when the coach would say “get in there number 0 and field the punt”. Of course we only had one number 0. How is the head coach supposed to know who is fielding the punt if we use multiple numbers?  I guess we’ve retired so many number at Auburn that players can’t have their own unique number?  Change the system. A pass rush would have won the game today. That’s ALL. 

A caught punt would have won it earlier…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

Truth.   This isn't the "JHS voodoo" we were looking for. 

Bama’s last 2 visits to JHS have been reverse voodoo and bad for Auburn.  

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, aujohnson said:

I’m don’t like the two man rush prevent but if DJ does his job or we don’t muff the punt we win. 

For about 5 seconds the entire secondary did their job.  The rule of thumb is a secondary can maximinally cover receivers for about 3 seconds that is why you need a pass rush.  How long do you expect DJ to cover receivers 10 seconds, 10 minutes. How long?

Edited by Carnell

8 minutes ago, Carnell said:

For about 5 seconds the entire secondary did their job.  The rule of thumb is a secondary can maximinally cover receivers for about 3 seconds that is why you need a pass rush.  How long do you expect DJ to cover receivers 10 seconds, 10 minutes. How long?

This. Some people think it’s that simple haven’t played in the secondary before. U can’t be chasing a receiver around that long. All it takes is a split second for u to lose ur guy and u burnt

• Like 1

Bama has stolen Auburn’s Jordan Hare voodoo.  2 straight Iron Bowls that Auburn had Bama dead to rights and blown it.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Carnell said:

You don’t have to even start covering any body for at least 5 seconds. But you can’t let them behind you, or give them space to the sideline, or lose track of the ball, or let yourself get manhandled. When we threw our Hail Mary at half time they had five guys behind our two guys and all five could have broken up or intercepted the pass. Neither one of our guys could have caught it. We had ONE guy even near the ball and he got shoved aside. We had two more guys close when the ball was thrown and nobody ran over there to help. It was a buffoon act. Completely different from extended man coverage as you implied in your post and yes I did play db in high school.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Bama has stolen Auburn’s Jordan Hare voodoo.  2 straight Iron Bowls that Auburn had Bama dead to rights and blown it.  

We gotta get to the point where we don't rely on voodoo. We need to be kicking tail and taking  names at JHS

Stolen from @bigbird on the Nest:

”We're what we thought we'd be-- a very thin, talent deprived team that has a very low football IQ. However, I saw those boys go toe to toe and not lose heart or faith in each other or their coaches. In fact, it seems to be having a galvanizing effect; from coaches to recruits. 

What I found, for myself anyway, is that last night's loss hurt so much because I was so invested in the game. 

Guys, do y'all realize how long it's been since we've been invested in games like these. For the better part of a decade we just shrugged off loss after loss to our biggest rivals because we were so apathetic to the doldrums we were stuck in. It hurts because I finally felt some of that old AU spirit throughout the game and stadium and I let myself begin to believe again. Last night, I think we started to wake up as a program and fan base.”

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m beginning to think that the majority of people on this forum are trolls or people that have never played sports.    I’m thinking mostly trolls because people can’t be this dumb when it comes to how this play should have been covered.   The question that no one is asking is why was #4 running behind the receiver?  He could have stood in the end zone and waited for the guy to make a move with his eyes on the quarterback.   And where was the help?   It’s football IQ and situational awareness.    Same reason you don’t return the kickoff 5 yards deep in the end zone with 30 seconds on the clock.   

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain you could have chosen 8 random people in this thread, given us 60 seconds to come up with a strategy, and we would have been able to defend the 4th and 31 successfully.  I'm being serious.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I'm fairly certain you could have chosen 8 random people in this thread, given us 60 seconds to come up with a strategy, and we would have been able to defend the 4th and 31 successfully.  I'm being serious.

A strategy was in place. Execution didn’t happen. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Carnell said:

That rule really doesn't apply for a hail Mary with eight db's in the end zone. Just stick to your fundamentals and execute.

4 hours ago, e808 said:

This. Some people think it’s that simple haven’t played in the secondary before. U can’t be chasing a receiver around that long. All it takes is a split second for u to lose ur guy and u burnt

Hail Mary is defended completely different. Really no excuse. Just keep your fundamentals and execute.

23 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Stolen from @bigbird on the Nest:

”We're what we thought we'd be-- a very thin, talent deprived team that has a very low football IQ. However, I saw those boys go toe to toe and not lose heart or faith in each other or their coaches. In fact, it seems to be having a galvanizing effect; from coaches to recruits. 

So very well stated. 

• Thanks 1

I’ll say this is not much of a rivalry game. We are just a nat on their schedule. I wish people would quit saying “you can throw the record books out in the iron bowl”. The better team most always wins. 

26 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

You don’t have to even start covering any body for at least 5 seconds. But you can’t let them behind you, or give them space to the sideline, or lose track of the ball, or let yourself get manhandled. When we threw our Hail Mary at half time they had five guys behind our two guys and all five could have broken up or intercepted the pass. Neither one of our guys could have caught it. We had ONE guy even near the ball and he got shoved aside. We had two more guys close when the ball was thrown and nobody ran over there to help. It was a buffoon act. Completely different from extended man coverage as you implied in your post and yes I did play db in high school.

First of all I am not sure what you mean by you don't have to start coverage for 5 seconds you have to start covering prior to the snap by determining how a db will lineup. The difference between our Hail Mary was that everybody was in a bunch and that the bama players behind our receivers was that if our receiver caught the ball in the field of play the backers were in a position to make the tackle before he could reach the end zone.  Their Hail Mary if you want to call it that was that the receivers were not bunched but spread out which gave our dbs more area to cover.  And I never implied extended man coverage.  I will say this I have heard announcerwith both NFL and college experience say you give a quarterback too much time he is going to find an open receiver or find holes in the  zones.

Again I will ask you the question in our original post how long do you expect dbs to cover these receivers.  Being Bama I would guess that their receivers are 4 stars and above.

And one more questions for you.  How many games did you team win running a 2 man rush.

36 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

That rule really doesn't apply for a hail Mary with eight db's in the end zone. Just stick to your fundamentals and execute.

First of all it wasn't a Hail Mary because the receivers were spread apart throughout the endzone.  Hail Mary receivers are in a bunch.  I will tell you I have not heard of any exceptions to this rule.  But again my question is how long do you expect our dbs to cover those 4&5 star receiver bama probably have.