Payton Thorne

TexasTiger

Just now, cole256 said:

We definitely need to get a playmaker and leader at qb. Nobody wins anything big in spite of their qb. 

If your qb needs all sec players all around him to be good he's not a great qb. For whatever reason it seems Auburn fans think the team carries the qb as opposed to a qb being so good he makes everybody Around him better

Thorne got better over time. Our receivers had a lot of drops down the stretch.

• Like 1

Just now, yngwie1995 said:

Thorne got better over time. Our receivers had a lot of drops down the stretch.

Yeah that's a mantra here.  Qb gets better as we play worse teams usually and we don't seem to understand that every team has drops.... but of course we don't watch them the way we watch us.  

Your qb is supposed to be good at throwing the ball.  

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah that's a mantra here.  Qb gets better as we play worse teams usually and we don't seem to understand that every team has drops.... but of course we don't watch them the way we watch us.  

Conversely, your WRs are supposed to be good at catching the ball…

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Auburn fans love certain QBs and hate others. It makes no sense. I agree with your sentiments. Too many POTENTIALLY game changing WRs coming to hope PT gets the offense. Only thing that will happen is Keon Coleman 2.0 

Bailing out the QB.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Auburn fans love certain QBs and hate others. It makes no sense. I agree with your sentiments. Too many POTENTIALLY game changing WRs coming to hope PT gets the offense. Only thing that will happen is Keon Coleman 2.0 

Bailing out the QB.

Do you watch any other football. WRs are constantly “bailing out” their QB. That’s how successful teams compete. However, those same WRs are catching the normal passes consistently. So you don’t focus on the “bailing out” catches as much. 
Im not saying PT will make more normal passes than bad passes, but I can see the correlation. 

13 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Do you watch any other football. WRs are constantly “bailing out” their QB. That’s how successful teams compete. However, those same WRs are catching the normal passes consistently. So you don’t focus on the “bailing out” catches as much. 
Im not saying PT will make more normal passes than bad passes, but I can see the correlation. 

Did you read my comment smart ass? I never said they don't bail out their QB.  I said fans like you are wanting our WRs to be Keon Coleman 2.0? Do you watch any other college football or do you need to google that name?

Edited by DAG

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Did you read my comment smart ass? I never said they don't bail out their QB.  I said fans like you are wanting our WRs to be Keon Coleman 2.0? Do you watch any other college football or do you need to google that name?

You mean the guy that dropped several passes tonight that could have bailed out the true freshman. Never heard of him.

Hopefully PT can make plenty of catchable throws next season. Or maybe a new guy will make it happen. Either way, the bottom line is there needs to be guys who can catch the ball a lot better than they did this year. And they don’t even have to be as dynamic as Coleman. Just catch the ball. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

You mean the guy that dropped several passes tonight that could have bailed out the true freshman. Never heard of him.

Hopefully PT can make plenty of catchable throws next season. Or maybe a new guy will make it happen. Either way, the bottom line is there needs to be guys who can catch the ball a lot better than they did this year. And they don’t even have to be as dynamic as Coleman. Just catch the ball. 

Yeah the future NFL draft pick. Good one. Holy crap, you suck at this.

Edited by DAG

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Yeah the future NFL draft pick. Good one. Holy crap, you suck at this.

What does that have to do with AU having WRs that can catch the ball? 
You get so wound up when folks don’t 100% agree with you. It’s like a sport to you.  Then you claim no one want to have a conversation with you. Some of us have a little different opinion. So yeah. I guess I do suck at this. I say what I say. If you don’t agree, that’s fine. But you take it a little too personal. 

Just now, CCTAU said:

What does that have to do with AU having WRs that can catch the ball? 
You get so wound up when folks don’t 100% agree with you. It’s like a sport to you.  Then you claim no one want to have a conversation with you. Some of us have a little different opinion. So yeah. I guess I do suck at this. I say what I say. If you don’t agree, that’s fine. But you take it a little too personal. 

I give you the energy you give me, I wasn't even talking to you. I responding to Cole, and you wanted to chime in with a little slick rebuttal.  My point is the QB and WR should complement each other. I don't agree with the idea that we need to get people to bail out the QB for poor play. 

Just now, DAG said:

I give you the energy you give me, I wasn't even talking to you. I responding to Cole, and you wanted to chime in with a little slick rebuttal.  My point is the QB and WR should complement each other. I don't agree with the idea that we need to get people to bail out the QB for poor play. 

And all I said was it’s a symbiotic relationship in which WRs bail out their QB all the time. It can’t be a game plan, but it is part of having a successful passing game. 
If you don’t want people responding to your posts, post somewhere private or post less. We can’t go one page without you posting. So it seems you prefer discourse. Or should we just assume you are posting for like five people and not the rest of us? 
Let us know so we know how to respond here on your forum.

Just now, CCTAU said:

And all I said was it’s a symbiotic relationship in which WRs bail out their QB all the time. It can’t be a game plan, but it is part of having a successful passing game. 
If you don’t want people responding to your posts, post somewhere private or post less. We can’t go one page without you posting. So it seems you prefer discourse. Or should we just assume you are posting for like five people and not the rest of us? 
Let us know so we know how to respond here on your forum.

I didn't say you couldn't respond to me. I said quit playing victim when you started out with a very slick comment. I agree and disagree with people all day on here. That isn't no big thing to me.

As I see it Thorne didn't play great for most of the season but did have a few good games AND:

Was learning a new offense,

With mediocre receivers he didn't have time to develop a good sense of timing with,

With a lackluster OL,

While adjusting to the SEC defensive speed,

And being subjected to the most idiotic QB rotation I've ever witnessed.

So if you want to bang on him and hope we get an awesome portal QB (that will go through the same things he has minus HOPEFULLY the mediocre receivers, lackluster OL, and idiotic rotation) then by all means. But I saw enough to think he was catching on to the speed of the game and learning the offense to think he would be a decent game manager next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe an up grade is needed. PT didn’t play well on the road besides the two bottom feeders. Tamu game guy wide open and pass wasn’t  in the same area codes. Bama game showed grit but passing wasn’t good. The OSU transfer was as wide open and had to stretch out like plastic man in what should have been an easy throw. I still say the Fairweather drop could have been better. He was wide open and had to reach down. Then there’s the across the middle throw that could have got him seriously injured. Just my two cents

4 minutes ago, gman87 said:

As I see it Thorne didn't play great for most of the season but did have a few good games AND:

Was learning a new offense,

With mediocre receivers he didn't have time to develop a good sense of timing with,

With a lackluster OL,

While adjusting to the SEC defensive speed,

And being subjected to the most idiotic QB rotation I've ever witnessed.

So if you want to bang on him and hope we get an awesome portal QB (that will go through the same things he has minus HOPEFULLY the mediocre receivers, lackluster OL, and idiotic rotation) then by all means. But I saw enough to think he was catching on to the speed of the game and learning the offense to think he would be a decent game manager next year.

An interesting question was open on the war rapport. What game did Auburn win this year with PT that u probably don’t win with RA or HG and close doesn’t count because it’s still a loss

4 minutes ago, e808 said:

An interesting question was open on the war rapport. What game did Auburn win this year with PT that u probably don’t win with RA or HG and close doesn’t count because it’s still a loss

Well we haven't seen HG so I don't think it is fair to put him in the equation. For me, it is as simple as we won against teams we were expected to win and loss to teams we were expecting to loss to and then some. I live in big ten country and I watched PT play way before most people on here knew who he was. We know what type of player he is at this stage. Very rarely do people just drastically improve after two to three years starting and that is what we are going to need next year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Bailing out the QB.

I think it will help but with a group of WRs that we're expected to get, I want a better QB if we can get one. Even though we should've beat Bama, it wasn't because PT had a really good passing game. I believe we can be a 8 or 9 win team and beat the teams we're supposed to beat. However, I'm still not a believer that PT is enough to beat LSU, UGA or Bama. 

We play Mizzou next season. I certainly don't think PT can win a shootout with Brady Cook (if he returns). I want a little more than a competent passing QB. And yes I get it's not all on PT. But the times when all variables were in line...I wasn't that impressed. I trust him to beat the teams we should beat but beyond that....I'm hoping for more at the position. 

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well we haven't seen HG so I don't think it is fair to put him in the equation. For me, it is as simple as we won against teams we were expected to win and loss to teams we were expecting to loss to and then some. I live in big ten country and I watched PT play way before most people on here knew who he was. We know what type of player he is at this stage. Very rarely do people just drastically improve after two to three years starting and that is what we are going to need next year.

Probably didn’t expect a loss to New Mexico State though. Still not sure how to access that one. Lack of talent was the theme but that same talent was within seconds of beating a much more talented Bama team 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I’d kind of disagree here. The light can sometimes just come on with QBs, especially if they start a season with not a lot of reps with wrs. Thorne has enough skill that he could conceivably get better. He’s not ever going to be a heisman contender type guy. But he could be efficient enough to keep chains moving.

9 hours ago, DAG said:

Bailing out the QB.

We are propping up a guy that was between 14-16th in nearly all QB related metrics.  Those include YPA ans QB eating which account for low volumes

But he has grit!!

• Haha 3

Just now, W.E.D said:

We are propping up a guy that was between 14-16th in nearly all QB related metrics.  Those include YPA ans QB eating which account for low volumes

But he has grit!!

Well stats and things don’t matter , only the eye test . Unless, you are Alabama with a chance to get into the playoffs, then the stats on the field does matter. That is general Auburn fan logic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

I’d kind of disagree here. The light can sometimes just come on with QBs, especially if they start a season with not a lot of reps with wrs. Thorne has enough skill that he could conceivably get better. He’s not ever going to be a heisman contender type guy. But he could be efficient enough to keep chains moving.

It can be that guy when he has enough talent around him. 

6 hours ago, e808 said:

Probably didn’t expect a loss to New Mexico State though. Still not sure how to access that one. Lack of talent was the theme but that same talent was within seconds of beating a much more talented Bama team 

Throw away NMSU bc apparently no one wanted to play or coach the game, but we were within a score of beating nearly everyone ourside LSU, I think.

We have some talent issued but it isn't as detrimental.  

There should be a drive to upgrade every position. QB should not get some pass bc of grit or he ran the read option well at time

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

It can be that guy when he has enough talent around him. 

Are we going to have KW3 and 2-3 developed 2nd day WR draft picks next year and also play against 10 awful teams in the B1G?

No, that talent or schedule ain't walking through the door for us next year

• Like 2