Payton Thorne

TexasTiger

Thought he played the best game you could ask out of him. Couple sacks where he held the ball too long, but I can’t really think of another BAD play. The missed play to Fairweather was objectively not a good ball, but he should’ve made that catch. Other than that, did everything you could ask for in a game where he’s facing a largely dominant front 7 and the opposing team has 2 of the top ~8 CBs in the conference. 

• Like 1

he seems to have no brain. throwing past the line of scrimage, running out of bounds early when he could pick up a yard or 2 more, taking terrible sacks. but then, like you said he will run through linebackers picking up a big run. i dont get it.

He showed some grit, I will give him that. Still need to bring in a transfer next year. Expecting some major roster turnover.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Several critical runs & first downs.

And several crucial misses in the passing game. He may play with a lot of heart running the ball. But he’s very tentative in the passing game. 

Have to give him an A for effort. Then again the receivers and Oline haven’t helped him much either. Hit the receiver in the hands and they drop it. Wonder how many drops we’ve had this year?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

He showed some grit, I will give him that. Still need to bring in a transfer next year. Expecting some major roster turnover.

He's done pretty well, given the circumstances. I don't think the coaches or receivers have helped him much. 

Completely agree we need to bring in some one better. It's the most important position so "fine" is not good enough. 

• Like 3

He is the proto typical gamer type. He won't win a game 4 u. Surround him with elite talent and win 8 or 9 games. Not a difference maker.  Your post is spot on IMO

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

And several crucial misses in the passing game. He may play with a lot of heart running the ball. But he’s very tentative in the passing game. 

Dude. My praise was focused and with disclaimers. You can keep repeating the same criticisms in this thread if you like, but I’m simply appreciating an Auburn player showing grit.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, cbo said:

He's done pretty well, given the circumstances. I don't think the coaches or receivers have helped him much. 

Completely agree we need to bring in some one better. It's the most important position so "fine" is not good enough. 

Yep and that is my biggest issue with him. If he is surrounded by mature talent he is quality. We aren't there at the state of our program. And we just need someone who fits with Freeze wants to do. Granted the WRs and coaches have put him in pickles, but he just doesn't even excel at running the RPO. We need a RPO qb. Someone who truly understands it. Make the right reads most of the time, a savant in the quick pass game and somewhat more comfortable running. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep and that is my biggest issue with him. If he is surrounded by mature talent he is quality. We aren't there at the state of our program. And we just need someone who fits with Freeze wants to do. Granted the WRs and coaches have put him in pickles, but he just doesn't even excel at running the RPO. We need a RPO qb. Someone who truly understands it. Make the right reads most of the time, a savant in the quick pass game and somewhat more comfortable running. 

IMG_9143.webp

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I appreciated his grit, drive, and dedication tonight. It was nice to see him push through and take some runs and hits. I truly applaud his effort and willingness to get in there and fight. He made a valiant effort in many ways tonight. (Yes, I know he wasn’t perfect before anyone thinks I’ve lost the plot). 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is what I said before the season. And I think you did too. 

We need an elite QB to cover up deficiencies. That we had this past season and will still have next season. 

Easier said than done, but that would always be my top priority. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Dude. My praise was focused and with disclaimers. You can keep repeating the same criticisms in this thread if you like, but I’m simply appreciating an Auburn player showing grit.

Even in a game like this, there’s some dudes who deserve some appreciation and just leaving it at that. Hunter was a beast before the injury. Alston looked great. Coming out party for Var. There’s definitely many guys who deserve props for this one 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

6/19 less than 100 yards. That’s a poor showing offensively. 

Several flat out drops.

• Like 1

Stating the obvious, but the most important player decision for the future of Auburn football and stability of the program is at QB. We have been making bad decisions on talent/scheme for years.  Without a passing game a team is toast. Any sec DC will find a scheme to beat you.  Transfer portal, Walker White, Geriner, Hank….at this point just find someone who can read a defense, rpo, throw a consistent and accurate forward pass.  With the WRs in this class, OL improvements, stable of RBs, this offense should be fine. 

It's time we stop blaming the qb and realize what they are surrounded with. Nix went from a serviceable qb to a heisman contender and all it took was leaving to another team with solid pass blocking and wide receivers. If Peyton had those things here no he wouldn't be a Heisman candidate  but he would be a decent quarterback.

• Like 3

Just now, shabby said:

It's time we stop blaming the qb and realize what they are surrounded with. Nix went from a serviceable qb to a heisman contender and all it took was leaving to another team with solid pass blocking and wide receivers. If Peyton had those things here no he wouldn't be a Heisman candidate  but he would be a decent quarterback.

And a coach that could call plays 

• Like 2

Eh. He still misses easy throws and is consistently inaccurate. I applaud his heart, but he's not that guy.