Payton Thorne

TexasTiger

37 minutes ago, e808 said:

Just food for thought 2021 IB Bryce Young was getting hammered for the majority of the game but when he was given a small window of opportunity he made Auburn pay. An elite Qb make everyone around them better . Just adding to the conversation 

Yeah I get it but you also have to have the receivers that can get open and CATCH the ball...if we had thrown that hail mary pass it would have hit our receivers in the hands and fallen to the ground..it takes both and I have seen a lot of dropped balls this year...you need both. 

• Like 1

These decisions are why coaches make the big bucks. At the end of the day, I don't think Thorne is the problem with our offense.  Our O line is much better at run blocking than pass protection, and we need receivers who can create separation. If we fix those 2 things, I think we can have a productive offense. The tough question Freeze has to ask is "Is the QB I bring in clearly better than Thorne"?  I think mobility is essential.  I watched Will Howard play a few times and I was impressed. But I look at his stats, and I can't say he will be clearly better than Thorne if we bring him in, especially since Thorne has experience in our system now, and Howard does not.  There's probably only a few guys worth taking a risk on for next year.  A lot of people on here blamed Bo Nix for our offense woes, and look at how that turned out.  (Ugg, one more reminder that Harsin was an idiot).

A lot of Texas people wanted to dump Ewers after last season. My wife was one of them.   A year of experience in the system made a big difference.  I'm not going to be unhappy if we stand pat at QB.  We should have beat Bama this year with Thorne at QB.  That says a lot.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

These decisions are why coaches make the big bucks. At the end of the day, I don't think Thorne is the problem with our offense.  Our O line is much better at run blocking than pass protection, and we need receivers who can create separation. If we fix those 2 things, I think we can have a productive offense. The tough question Freeze has to ask is "Is the QB I bring in clearly better than Thorne"?  I think mobility is essential.  I watched Will Howard play a few times and I was impressed. But I look at his stats, and I can't say he will be clearly better than Thorne if we bring him in, especially since Thorne has experience in our system now, and Howard does not.  There's probably only a few guys worth taking a risk on for next year.  A lot of people on here blamed Bo Nix for our offense woes, and look at how that turned out.  (Ugg, one more reminder that Harsin was an idiot).

A lot of Texas people wanted to dump Ewers after last season. My wife was one of them.   A year of experience in the system made a big difference.  I'm not going to be unhappy if we stand pat at QB.  We should have beat Bama this year with Thorne at QB.  That says a lot.

PT home and road is two different people. U gonna need really good qb play to win in ttown and on the road period. Why all the comparisons to Ewers. See the below ratings. Guess which one is which

IMG_2063.jpeg

IMG_2064.jpeg

QBs better than Thorne are entering the portal right and left. It’s the most important position on the field. Of course we should get one. I’m surprised this is even a question. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

15 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

I would have to counter... If we had a competent passing attack this yr . We beat Bama and Ga... I take that back, not competent. Just an average passing attack and we beat GA and Bama

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cbo said:

QBs better than Thorne are entering the portal right and left. It’s the most important position on the field. Of course we should get one. I’m surprised this is even a question. 

Them cats who disagree didn't watch what I did this year. PT needs to be on the team ... as a back up QB.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

You got a lot of apple to orange comparison going on here. Ewers was a red shirt freshman in 2022, starting and playing for the first time (PT was not last year). Bo nix was playing good and Auburn was hoping for great (He has now done that). PT in his two years at Michigan state (who also wouldn't commit to them) never showed he could will them to a victory against quality appointments  like Bo Nix had done his career at Auburn.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, cbo said:

Me too! He improved towards the end of the season. But not enough to say without a doubt he's our guy to lead us to a long run in the playoffs. At some point your QB is going to be counted out to make plays with his arm. I understand other variables affected PT but I don't believe in PT as a runner next season. We caught teams off guard with his running. Defenses will adjust. The memo is clear when it comes to our offense; make our QBs prove they can throw the ball consistently. We have not been able to do so in a long time.  

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, cbo said:

Man you are one of the favorites here so hopefully it comes off better with you saying it. This is so bizarre. PT was below average last year and he is an upper classman, no clue why folks here keep defending him. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

Was it because of him or in spite of him?

1 hour ago, e808 said:

PT home and road is two different people. U gonna need really good qb play to win in ttown and on the road period. Why all the comparisons to Ewers. See the below ratings. Guess which one is which

IMG_2063.jpeg

IMG_2064.jpeg

Ewers had elite receivers last year and a pretty decent Oline. He struggled in enough games that fans were ready to ditch him anyway. That was the point, not that Thorne is a comparable QB to Ewers. Ewers is not mobile at all however, and probably would have gotten killed behind our line. I'm not against bringing in a better QB. And I'm sure Freeze isn't either.  It's just not going to be as easy as a lot of you guys seem to think.

45 minutes ago, DAG said:

Man you are one of the favorites here so hopefully it comes off better with you saying it. This is so bizarre. PT was below average last year and he is an upper classman, no clue why folks here keep defending him. 

Because he did improve once Ashford wasn’t being woven into the game plan and Freeze forced Monty to run zone read a LOT more. Also, more often than not, PT put the ball where his receivers coulda/ shoulda made the plays. I guess PT apologists are expecting 1.) growth in the system and 2.) MUCH better receiver play that will make him look that much more competent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

People worry about feelings getting hurt and creating rifts in the locker room. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cbo said:

Of course we will if opportunity is there. Doubt it will hurt Payton’s feelings. Another competition so be it. Nothing to read into other than fast tracking more wins while building a program.

With Dag. You are becoming one of my favorites here. Somewhat reluctantly admit you are a pretty good person.

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Ewers had elite receivers last year and a pretty decent Oline. He struggled in enough games that fans were ready to ditch him anyway. That was the point, not that Thorne is a comparable QB to Ewers. Ewers is not mobile at all however, and probably would have gotten killed behind our line. I'm not against bringing in a better QB. And I'm sure Freeze isn't either.  It's just not going to be as easy as a lot of you guys seem to think.

You think it is easy to bring in stud WRs into an offense with a marginal QB? Let me tell you, the WRs we are bringing in have a ton of potential but they are not going to go for inconsistent play the QB position (IMO). I am not asking for Cameron Ward to get here (although that would be nice) . I will be just as happy for McCall. 

Edited by DAG

Think I must be missing some pixels and need to buy a new TV. I didn’t see where PT was great passing in the IB. He did well as a runner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Are we down so bad that we don't even expect good QB play anymore? Are we pre-coping because we're afraid we won't land a transfer QB?

Anyone who watched the games or took a glimpse at the stats can see Thorne wasn't getting it done. Yes, he might improve next season and yes the WRs were bad. 

But we need to swing for the fences. Lots of other teams are. Freeze is a good recruiter and I keep hearing we have the NIL money. Let's get it done. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Of course we will if opportunity is there. Doubt it will hurt Payton’s feelings. Another competition so be it. Nothing to read into other than fast tracking more wins while building a program.

With Dag. You are becoming one of my favorites here. Somewhat reluctantly admit you are a pretty good person.

Haha I'll take it. I might be an acquired taste. And don't worry, I'm sure I'll annoy you later. 

18 minutes ago, cbo said:

Are we down so bad that we don't even expect good QB play anymore? Are we pre-coping because we're afraid we won't land a transfer QB?

Anyone who watched the games or took a glimpse at the stats can see Thorne wasn't getting it done. Yes, he might improve next season and yes the WRs were bad. 

But we need to swing for the fences. Lots of other teams are. Freeze is a good recruiter and I keep hearing we have the NIL money. Let's get it done. 

Because he shows grit. This fanbase sometimes ..

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

😑

I'll say it this way...

There were plenty of both, but I saw more drops than bad throws.  

It wasn't just the drops though, it was when they occured.  Drive after drive were stopped and wide open TDs were dropped. 

• Like 6

The folks in favor of and not in favor of Thorne both make valid points.  At the end of the day, we are paying CHF $6.5MM a year to make these calls.   He has had a full season to figure out what PT can and can't do, whether our receivers limited him in a meaningful way, what our other needs are, how best to fill those needs, etc. etc.   If he comes here in search of advice, he might leave confused....    

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'll say it this way...

There were plenty of both, but I saw more drops than bad throws.  

It wasn't just the drops though, it was when they occured.  Drive after drive were stopped and wide open TDs were dropped. 

Good points.  Dropped passes and bad passes are easy to see. What's harder to see is how many times did PT hold onto the ball too long? Did he ever " throw a receiver open,,"?. Did he make the correct read more times than not. Also, does he possess the necessary talent to overcome any of those mistakes and still make a play. That's where PT falls short IMO

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Good points.  Dropped passes and bad passes are easy to see. What's harder to see is how many times did PT hold onto the ball too long? Did he ever " throw a receiver open,,"?. Did he make the correct read more times than not. Also, does he possess the necessary talent to overcome any of those mistakes and still make a play. That's where PT falls short IMO

I think he is short on many of those attributes too. However, I think it's a product of a lack of trust in the receivers and a lack of understanding of the offense.  

I think that a complete off-season under CHF and Kent will pay off larger than others seem to think. 

• Like 4

I think I'm just a little jaded by all the fan criticisms I've seen over the years of every single quarterback I have ever seen at both Texas and Auburn, with the possible exception of Cam Newton.  Lots of Texas folks wanted to turn Vince Young into a receiver or linebacker his sophomore year at Texas after he threw for something like 14 yards against OU.  Same with Colt McCoy early on.  Ewers last year.  To be honest, I was a harsh critic of Ewers myself, and of Sarkisian for playing him.  And Bo Nix, you all were not kind when you spoke about him.  I just don't think fans have the full picture ever.  I'm happy to let Freeze handle this one.  Maybe he can bring someone in to compete.  I don't think Thorne can transfer again.  But I don't think there are "lots of QB's" that would be a sure upgrade in his system. (try naming them). Maybe a few. If he can get one, fine.   If not, we have other positions to worry about.  Bottom line, I just don't trust fans when they criticize QB's.  They seldom know what they are talking about on that subject, including myself. Although I did defend Vince Young and Colt McCoy. Ewers not so much. And Nix, I thought you guys were unduly harsh, but I did think he was pedestrian.  When the offense sucks, the QB ALWAYS gets the blame. Deserved or not. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1