Payton Thorne

TexasTiger

Thorne played well enough to win the game yesterday. Even with an ugly stat line -- and the INT was on a hail mary so I forgive that -- he played well enough for us to get the W.

As far as next year, he'd probably do well for himself to pull a Bo Nix and find somewhere with an OL to play behind and some WRs on the outside. I don't think he'll be on anybody's draft board but right now we are a QB graveyard.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I just didn't see anything he did more tough than Finley did that bammer game but the consensus was Finley was soft and I guess you guys are saying PT is tough. I assume it has to be because of other games because there's no way we can look at each in their respective game and come to that conclusion

Finley would take a hit. He’d be getting sacked at the time, but he’d take it. But he was -42 yards rushing against Bama.  He was minus for the year. The only reason we were in that game was our defense. I don’t think he was soft. I thought he had a good arm. But if he didn’t complete a pass, it was unlikely he’d make a play.

• Like 3

Just now, TexasTiger said:

Finley would take a hit. He’d be getting sacked at the time, but he’d take it. But he was -42 yards rushing against Bama.  He was minus for the year. The only reason we were in that game was our defense. I don’t think he was soft. I thought he had a good arm. But if he didn’t complete a pass, it was unlikely he’d make a play.

The toughness is in making the passes though. Our o line was horrible, bammers defense was better then and he was playing with a hurt leg. I just know I watched him take a few blows that I actually wished the coaches would have sat him down. They were teeing off on him, over and over and over. Had to add up.

At least when you are running you can prepare for the hit a bit. And I'm not saying you personally I'm just saying I remember after the game there were many downing him saying he wasn't tough. 

That's just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The toughness is in making the passes though. Our o line was horrible, bammers defense was better then and he was playing with a hurt leg. I just know I watched him take a few blows that I actually wished the coaches would have sat him down. They were teeing off on him, over and over and over. Had to add up.

At least when you are running you can prepare for the hit a bit. And I'm not saying you personally I'm just saying I remember after the game there were many downing him saying he wasn't tough. 

That's just my opinion.

I don't think TJ was soft.  He didn't like to run much for sure, but he took some shots.  I really wanted him to be good here, but he really needs an excellent OL to keep him clean because he's just not going to do much damage otherwise.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't think TJ was soft.  He didn't like to run much for sure, but he took some shots.  I really wanted him to be good here, but he really needs an excellent OL to keep him clean because he's just not going to do much damage otherwise.

We have a bunch of problems....and I mean a bunch, but if we had a decent o line we would at least have a chance.

Last night we were running so well I just don't understand why they went away from it the last 6/7 minutes of the game.

I will say this even those pass plays they called at the end of the game were called they didn't do PT any favors. When they kept motioning the hb to the slot........I just really can't understand our logic.....at least use play action.....they would have had to respect it. Would PT been able to make the throw? Idk, but somebody would have been open. 

Or at least throw on 1st and go deep then they at least have to respect that and then run.....I'm so frustrated by the loss and I told myself I wasn't going to do that

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Oh ok. Well when somebody accuses you of it and somebody else co signs it that can start a bunch of trouble for that person because nobody on the outside is going to view it as sarcasm.

Unfortunately on here is you aren't the most agreeable person people will say that about you and gang ups and stuff can happen. 

But cool I just wanted to make sure you didn't feel like I did that to you just because I disagreed with you. No worries.

No one has “started a bunch of trouble” . This is not a court of law. Your choice to continue posting or contributing. 

Easy to see that your beef is PT not taking the hit you feel that TJ took after the 21 game. Don’t recall anything other than accolades for TJ after the 21 game. 

“Finley was soft and I guess you guys are saying PT is tough.”

33 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

No one has “started a bunch of trouble” . This is not a court of law. Your choice to continue posting or contributing. 

Easy to see that your beef is PT not taking the hit you feel that TJ took after the 21 game. Don’t recall anything other than accolades for TJ after the 21 game. 

“Finley was soft and I guess you guys are saying PT is tough.”

What are you even saying? If you lie and make up stuff and say somebody did something they didn't do it can start trouble, just because you don't know the trouble doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. 

And please stop trying to matter of factly say anything about me. I don't have any reason to lie on this board. If I had a beef I would simply say I have a beef and that would be it.

I said he played horribly because once again he completed 30% of his passes and didn't have a hundred yards....if he had 250 yards and 2tds then you know what I would have said? He played well. That's it. 

As far as the hit it's funny you say it's easy to see when you literally don't see anything of the sort. I could care less about him taking a hit. I actually wish he didn't take any hits. Cool that you don't recall anything but accolades after that game. I recall people questioning his toughness and complaining about him myself. 

I've tried to be cordial to you but you don't want that and that's fine. Nothing changes on my end though you know I didn't say anything about your IQ and I just ask not say I did stuff that I didn't do. Thanks. Now you can go your way and I'll go mine and we can choose to not interact. That's cool with me. 

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What are you even saying? If you lie and make up stuff and say somebody did something they didn't do it can start trouble, just because you don't know the trouble doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. 

And please stop trying to matter of factly say anything about me. I don't have any reason to lie on this board. If I had a beef I would simply say I have a beef and that would be it.

I said he played horribly because once again he completed 30% of his passes and didn't have a hundred yards....if he had 250 yards and 2tds then you know what I would have said? He played well. That's it. 

As far as the hit it's funny you say it's easy to see when you literally don't see anything of the sort. I could care less about him taking a hit. I actually wish he didn't take any hits. Cool that you don't recall anything but accolades after that game. I recall people questioning his toughness and complaining about him myself. 

I've tried to be cordial to you but you don't want that and that's fine. Nothing changes on my end though you know I didn't say anything about your IQ and I just ask not say I did stuff that I didn't do. Thanks. Now you can go your way and I'll go mine and we can choose to not interact. That's cool with me. 

Thanks for trying to be cordial.

4 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thanks for trying to be cordial.

Np. Thank you for trying to do whatever you were trying to do

Kinda to @TAYLORKEETON point.   As perspective, I just read where a former TCU player was in a car crash traveling over Thanksgiving that killed him and his 2 kids.  His wife survived, but is in critical condition.  She has been in and out of consciousness, but has been told her immediate family is gone.   He was named CEO of his family's business 3 years ago.  He had a really good life I suspect.   I hate we lost.   I really hate it.   But all 3 of my "babies" made it home safely, and I will lay down tonight with my fully healthy and God loving wife.   What more does a man really need?   

• Love 1

4 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

PT isn't horrible.  Limited yes. Gamer yes. Win a game for u... no...  I think that was the point of the OP

A "Gamer" or someone with "grit" wins games for you.

Idk why we need to be putting lipstick on a pig here

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Guess he should have insisted on fielding the punt.

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I just wish it was a guide to read to understand when the passes are given out....it's ok to criticize some guys then other guys are off limits, then you're supposed to pretend like there's not a difference.....

He played a very good game

Edited by cole256

Two things I don't think I understand is the he wanted to win, and he played well enough for us to win.....can't you say that about any QB that played in a close game?

7 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Guess he should have insisted on fielding the punt.

Yes. Thanks for the serious discourse you've shown this entire thrrad

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I just wish it was a guide to read to understand when the passes are given out....it's ok to criticize some guys then other guys are off limits, then you're supposed to pretend like there's not a difference.....

He played a very good game

60yds rushing and 90 passing could probably get him a Heisman invite in the 30s.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's all semantics. I've stated he probably won't win a game on his own. He may game manage us to some wins. I'll go with somewhere between horrible and a gamer. I've stated numerous times we need an upgrade.  

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

It's all semantics. I've stated he probably won't win a game on his own. He may game manage us to some wins. I'll go with somewhere between horrible and a gamer. I've stated numerous times we need an upgrade.  

The reality is he’d led the team to come from behind in the second half to be in position to win the game. No punt muff, no defensive failure on 4th and 31, the story would be, as pedestrian as it may have appeared on a stat line, that Auburn’s offense did what it took to win the game. Auburn had TD drives of 68, 88 & 75 yards and a FG drive of 72 yards. There were no gimmes. Who expected that? 

37 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Two things I don't think I understand is the he wanted to win, and he played well enough for us to win.....can't you say that about any QB that played in a close game?

Probably not any QB in a close game and be accurate, but if you want to, you can.

9 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

The reality is he’d led the team to come from behind in the second half to be in position to win the game. No punt muff, no defensive failure on 4th and 31, the story would be, as pedestrian as it may have appeared on a stat line, that Auburn’s offense did what it took to win the game. Auburn had TD drives of 68, 88 & 75 yards and a FG drive of 72 yards. There were no gimmes. Who expected that? 

Let's move forward.. U think PT could lead us to 9 wins next yr or should we portal A QB?

Edited by NWALA Tiger

After the first 2 series, Thorne played a heck of a game. His receivers had at least 3 drops - one for a touchdown where we had to settle for a field goal. Could’ve been the difference in the game. Thorne wasn’t the problem yesterday.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Let's move forward.. U think PT could lead us to 9 wins next yr or should we portal A QB?

I’m all for upgrading if we can across the board. UGA & Bama will be tough away games for any QB we get. 

• Like 1