Where we are, where we’re going.

gr82be

I wish I had your enthusiasm. I just don’t see it anymore. We have talent problems. But talent problems aren’t why we lost tonight, and isn’t why we’ve lost a lot of games this season. It’s been coaching. Our players are not focused or are ill prepared for a facet or more of the game. I hope freeze can turn it around. But we’ve lost 2 games in a row on bad coaching preparation. Well coached teams don’t lose to group of five schools. They don’t muff punts at key times. And well coaches teams certainly don’t give up scores on 4th and 31. It’s pathetic and unacceptable. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Classic “snatching defeat from the jaws of victory “ loss by Auburn. So disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

I wish I had your enthusiasm. I just don’t see it anymore. We have talent problems. But talent problems aren’t why we lost tonight, and isn’t why we’ve lost a lot of games this season. It’s been coaching. Our players are not focused or are ill prepared for a facet or more of the game. I hope freeze can turn it around. But we’ve lost 2 games in a row on bad coaching preparation. Well coached teams don’t lose to group of five schools. They don’t muff punts at key times. And well coaches teams certainly don’t give up scores on 4th and 31. It’s pathetic and unacceptable. 

We're in the age of player entitlement with NIL and an open portal. Gone are the days of a team full of players sold out for their beloved school. No more "old college try" days. That's history. 

Get ready for for it to get worse. It's not just Auburn. The way it's been allowed to unfold, it's a cancer in all of college football. No regulation, no boundaries. Sort of like society as a whole, now.

I predict if it continues to spread, I won't give it a second look 5 years from now. It's sad, really.

• Like 4

Preparation and execution can reflect each other but breakdowns happen. Bama had some breakdowns yesterday too and I don’t think anyone doubts Saban’s attention to detail. My point is that the coaches coach and players play and if one breaks down it affects both. The score at the end changed the narrative of Auburn playing the game of the season to being ill prepared in some minds. I just don’t think it’s all about the players being unprepared. I think the players have as much ownership of that loss as coaches. 

• Like 4

We are a team that went on a four game losing streak, we had the most embarrassing loss in our history, we found a creative way to choke/lose to our rival. We are a program that accepts this, and we now count our wins based on moral victories. We are not a top program anymore and haven’t been for a very long time. All we have to look forward to is next year, every single year where we repeat the same results. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry, but disagree with everything about this.   Jimmy’s and Joe’s when football games.    Have there been questions and frustration with coaching decisions? Absolutely!  But that’s going to happen in every loss no matter the outcome.    The what if game can be played over and over.   

This exactly. I have very little faith in this coaching staff, regardless of how many blue chip recruits we sign. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Sorry, but disagree with everything about this.   Jimmy’s and Joe’s when football games.    Have there been questions and frustration with coaching decisions? Absolutely!  But that’s going to happen in every loss no matter the outcome.    The what if game can be played over and over.   

Sorry but I disagree with everything about this. The jimmy's and Joe's were clearly sufficient last night. The coaches made critical judgement errors last night to give bama a change to win the game. All year that has happened starting with the qb rotation every other play for the first 4-5 games.

This take is another example of not taking in all into account in context and reflecting on the whole season. Go back and watch our loses. You can see it in every game. Of course when the players are "off" and the coaches make boneheaded calls it is detrimental.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Yep.. Give me top talent and watch them bad in game coaching decisions vanish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I encourage some of you to look at this weeks new Coaches poll. Several coaches have their teams in the Top 12 who were recently hired and had a bad first season or two on the field in terms of W-Ls and bad losses (3 seasons in the case of Drinkwitz) Get better players, refine the culture rebuild, and we will have much happier times soon. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Yep.. Give me top talent and watch them bad in game coaching decisions vanish.

U still need a coach that makes good decisions and that applies in any sport.  That especially applies in the critical moments. Yes Auburn needs talent but coaching still matters. Malzahn, Ed and Jimbo all had pretty decent talent. Why did they get fired . 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

Sorry but I disagree with everything about this. The jimmy's and Joe's were clearly sufficient last night. The coaches made critical judgement errors last night to give bama a change to win the game. All year that has happened starting with the qb rotation every other play for the first 4-5 games.

This take is another example of not taking in all into account in context and reflecting on the whole season. Go back and watch our loses. You can see it in every game. Of course when the players are "off" and the coaches make boneheaded calls it is detrimental.

Not sure what you are disagreeing with, but clearly I stated that boneheaded decisions were made by the coaching staff.    If you don’t think that players win games, then you don’t know sports.   An Auburn receiver dropped a touchdown last night and no one is saying anything about it.   Was that coaching that made that call?   And did coaching drop the pass?   It all comes down to making a play.   
Again, there have been plenty of boneheaded mistakes by the coaching staff.  I think none more egregious than the QB rotation.   Ashford was never the starter and really should have been moved to a different position or regulated to scout team.   

I'm sure I will get blasted for this again but here goes. I wanted to win as much as anyone on here. But nobody wanted to win as much as our players and coaches.  They are the ones who invest all the sweat,  blood and time. The  truth is we are limited at several positions.  Freeze had us in position to win and we couldn't seal the deal. If he is gonna be criticized for 4th and 31. He should be praised for us having the lead with 35 seconds left.  That's reason for frustration as well as hope. During the game, I went from apathy to actually believing.  I'm not sure which feels worse.  

We haven't had a coach in the last 20 yrs who has put emphasis on talent acquisition like Freeze has.  They either wanted to go duck hunting or pump iron in their basement. I look forward to the day when we can field a team talent wise the same as our rivals. 

To put it in perspective.  James Smith and Qua Russaw both flirted with AU b4 signing with Bama.  Both would be starting at AU right now. They barely sniff the field this yr at bama. That's where we are right now. Not a single player that signed with Auburn in Jarquez Hunters class is still on the team other than Jarquez himself. Let that sink in

We have no choice but be patient.  I'm guessing most on here would be in a better frame of mind today if we had got beat by 3 TDs. I know I would. Rebuilds are painful but a reality right now.

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

I agree, but we need way more

Not saying we don’t…we need better everywhere.   And I mean everywhere.   I find it hilarious that people blame coaching for this epic loss.   There were too many instances of poor situational awareness on the part of several players throughout the game and the year for that matter.   Oh well, there is nothing anyone on this board can do about it and none of us put in the hours, sweat and pain to make this season happen.   Next year, Auburn will strap on the helmet and go at it again….lets hope for better results 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Not saying we don’t…we need better everywhere.   And I mean everywhere.   I find it hilarious that people blame coaching for this epic loss.   There were too many instances of poor situational awareness on the part of several players throughout the game and the year for that matter.   Oh well, there is nothing anyone on this board can do about it and none of us put in the hours, sweat and pain to make this season happen.   Next year, Auburn will strap on the helmet and go at it again….lets hope for better results 

Can't agree more.   I'm pretty sure Moore has been coached repeatedly that it is pretty important to catch punts and not drop them.   When he realized he had mis-judged the punt by 2 or 3 steps, particularly where the mis-judgment meant he had to go back instead of forward, I'm pretty sure he had been coached to get out of the way -- particularly with 4 minutes to go in the game.   I'm pretty sure Fairweather has been coached to stay in bounds before a catch and to catch everything that hits your hands.   At the end of the day, in a complete rebuild year, where Hunter's class is gone and the last 2 classes were non-existent to begin with, we were 1 play away from beating our biggest rival.    We catch a punt, and we win.   We get off the field on 4th and 31, and we win.

That qualifies for at least a "good" coaching job.   Players have to make plays. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

We have no choice but be patient.  (Yep.  With you there all the way.)    

I'm guessing most on here would be in a better frame of mind today if we had got beat by 3 TDs.  (Eh ... let's not get carried away!  Dial the hyperbole back just a bit.)     

Rebuilds are painful but a reality right now.  (Absolutely agree.  It's called taking our lumps.)    

27 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Not sure what you are disagreeing with, but clearly I stated that boneheaded decisions were made by the coaching staff.    If you don’t think that players win games, then you don’t know sports.   An Auburn receiver dropped a touchdown last night and no one is saying anything about it.   Was that coaching that made that call?   And did coaching drop the pass?   It all comes down to making a play.   
Again, there have been plenty of boneheaded mistakes by the coaching staff.  I think none more egregious than the QB rotation.   Ashford was never the starter and really should have been moved to a different position or regulated to scout team.   

Didnt says players don't win games. I said we had the players to do it last night. Maybe reread what I wrote.

3 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

Didnt says players don't win games. I said we had the players to do it last night. Maybe reread what I wrote.

Good enough players, not good enough execution in just a few instances. Players got to make the plays.

• Like 1

Theres a purge about to happen.  Jay Tate has been saying for about a month that a couple coaches are gonna be gone.  I think the on3 guys have said expect to lose a couple guys with some being guys we’re gonna be disappointed about.  The good news is Hugh probably knows what he wants to do coach wise and the staff has had a year to figure out exactly what positions need the most help in the portal.  The coaching staff should be on even footing to the other staffs in the SEC from a scouting.  The big question is how long will it take to show significant improvement?  Will it be next year or Is the damage to the roster going to require another year of struggle?  

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I think the on3 guys have said expect to lose a couple guys with some being guys we’re gonna be disappointed about.  

Who would that imply?    Marcus Davis maybe?  Our receivers have underperformed but it is hard to imagine letting him go with the receiving recruiting class we think we are about to have.   No way it is Caddy.   Zack Etheridge -- secondary played pretty well and he recruits well.   McGriff?   I can't think of anyone else on staff that AU people would have a connection with and thus be disappointed about?   Is there someone I'm not thinking about?

I appreciate the comments on this thread. It's been a rough 24 hours. I totally agree with gr82be that the only other time I remember feeling like this was after Van Tiffen's kick in 85. I also appreciate Gowebb11's comment about coaches who struggled in their 1st years & especially his ref to the Missouri coach (can't spell his name!). Do y'all remember how Missouri lost to us last year? I've never felt less like a winner than I did on that day, but note where Mizzou & their coach are today. Crap happens, which actually makes me wonder less about why I'm an Auburn fan & more about why I'm a sports fan. Sigh... What I'd like to contribute here is a reminder that 2 things can be true at once. In this case, I think our coaches & players were shockingly competitive in the Iron Bowl, played with heart & guts & fire (where was any of that against NMS?) & stood tall against our more talented rival. I'm really proud of them for that. AND they (coaches & players) blew it on the 1 play that would have sealed the win. Both of those things are true which has made this past 24 hours so hard. I think if I were Hugh I'd use our last 2 games as a rallying point. "The way we played against NMS & the way we lost the Iron Bowl--beginning with the bowl game, NEVER AGAIN." Or something like that. War Eagle my fellow sad Aubies.