What 3 losses hurt you the most in Auburn sports history?

TeamZero77

1. FSU NC '13

2. LSU '88

3. Virginia, Final Four

* This year's Iron Bowl would come in around #6 or 7 and would only round out the top 3 of worst IBs. I'd still rank both '84 and '85 as more painful.   

• Like 1

2013 FSU

1985 Tennessee

Final 4 loss to VA

Honorable mention the 1985 Iron Bowl...we were cheated and the kick should have never been an option!

I would have preferred to have won this past Saturday, but we weren't supposed to be in the game. It's funny to me that a lot of bammers want to replace it for the Kick 6. They were 14 point favorites to win and should have never been in that position to have to have a "pull it out of your rectum" type play! WE WERE 6-5 and coming off of a terrible loss. For Dinky to be the GOAT, as some claim, he tends to get out coached/outplayed by Auburn teams with a LOT less talent OFTEN. We have let him and the best teams that money can buy off the hook in 2021 and 2023!

Disappointed by the 2023 IB, but there are plenty of worse losses from my perspective(GA Tech 03, 05, both USC games 02/03, 2017 SEC Title game, 1998 SEC Title game, Florida 1986 and THUGA 1986(wet dawg game and they beat us with their backup QB) 88 LSU!

Edited by GAAubie

12 hours ago, gr82be said:

The obvious ones have been mentioned already but the ‘71 Iron Bowl hurt a lot. First time I ever “saw” Auburn play and lose. Undefeated and yet we got destroyed. 

I remember this one. I read about it on old stone tablets

22 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I remember this one. I read about it on old stone tablets

Yeah, actually we used top punch paper in those days😂 My buddy AUsince72 was a mesh jersey fan like me. I miss him on here. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1. Final 4 hose job against VA

1B. Ditto

1C. Ditto

2. 1988 Earthquake game.

3.2016 uga game. Gus should have been left at the stadium and never coached another game at AU. 

Every other big loss hurt , but those made me lose my religion for a short while. 

One still does. 

11 hours ago, Georgeair said:

The pain of the 2013 loss was deep and enduring for me, almost physical for 4-5 years whenever it came up.  I had finally gotten beyond that, apparently just to make room for this new gut punch. Ouch.

This and the VA Double Dribble comes in a not so distant 2nd but the 13 NC was extremely painful. 

My wife and I had started dating that year....and She watched every game with me....the first time she missed one was the first half of LSU....and we were getting mopped....then she watched second half and we played better. She was there for the prayer....the kick 6...SECCG and watched the first bit of the NC and then went to bed with a headache. Not 3 minutes after she went to bed FSU did the fake punt. Things went dwnhill from there. 

I still thought we had it when Mason scored. We were about to win our 2nd NC in 4 years....and all I could see was world domination on the horizon.  Man it hurts just thinking about it. 

I couldn't rewatch any of that game afterwards... for 10 years. I still can't. 

• Like 3

1. Final Four loss  We were robbed plain and simple

2. 1984 Iron Bowl  We had two chances to win - Bo missed the play call and McGinty missed the field goal.

3. 1970 LSU  Played in the rain and mud.  Weather was so bad that the scoreboard clock went out.  I still remember Wallace Clark trying to get traction in the mud down at the goal line.

Honorable mentions: FSU 2013, Iron Bowl 1985, 2009, 2021, 2023, LSU 1988, Georgia 1986 

• Like 1

I was hosting a watch party for the Final Four game. Though I was the only Auburn fan at the party. When we lost I had to excuse myself and go lie down I felt so physically ill. 

The 2013 NC was less so, but similar. Maybe because we had just won one recently and the fact that we lost that game ourselves, instead of it being ripped away from us by refs.

The third I will throw in a curveball. The 1998-99 loss to OSU and Scooney Penn in the Sweet 16 as a 1 seed. I was just a kid and it was my first time getting to enjoy the tourney as an Auburn fan and not some neutral observer. I had such high hopes and expectations that came crashing down that day.

On 11/27/2023 at 2:29 AM, bigbird said:

1. Final four

2. '23 IB

3a. '96 UGA

3b. '17 UGA 2.0

3c. '17 LSU

3d. '17 UCF

3e. '16 UGA 

3f. '14 TAMU

3g. '07 LSU 

3h. '06 Arkansas 

3i. '05 Wisconsin

Now I'm depressed and gonna stop... '13 FSU is there somewhere too. 

‘88 LSU (I think that was the year). Earthquake game…gotta be up there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AUApostle said:

‘88 LSU (I think that was the year). Earthquake game…gotta be up there.

I stopped at '05, I couldn't do it to myself any longer. 🤣

I guess it doesn't count since I can't remember the details. Wasn't there a baseball game where we about to go to the World Series and we let up a bunch of runs in the 9th? I'm getting older and some of these things start to get foggy.