2024 QB Portal Thread

Paladin

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

How are we supposed to get our bids in when he doesn’t want to be contacted by teams?  I mean our coach has to make contact to throw out the AU sales pitch somehow.  

I think he means teams that he is not already talking to. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2023 at 10:00 AM, Mikey said:

Which one would be a dead-solid upgrade from Thorne the day he walked onto campus? 

No one has answered this question.   Someone put a name out there, explain their connection to Auburn and post their stats vs Thorne.   Also, state what you think their price is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

No one has answered this question.   Someone put a name out there, explain their connection to Auburn and post their stats vs Thorne.   Also, state what you think their price is. 

Riley Leonard, from Fairhope so that helps.  Price is in a bidding war with ND.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keesler said:

How are we supposed to get our bids in when he doesn’t want to be contacted by teams?  I mean our coach has to make contact to throw out the AU sales pitch somehow.  

II have no idea. I was simply commenting on portal QBs. Auburn pays millions to people that do know and I'm certain they aren't getting their ideas from message board suggestions.  😀

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 3:52 PM, woodford said:

They've always been paid. The elite ones at least. It's public now so people aren't that comfortable with it. I don't know why, Auburn has sure benefited from paying players in the past. Paying a college athlete is only "taboo" because the newspaper and TV said it was for decades. You tune in every week, and you have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. Doesn't seem to bother people. Who really cares? It's not a zero-sum game nor does it guarantee victory or championships.

They don't just get paid in money. They receive goods and services and things beyond material goods.

Remember the ESPN 30 for 30 Pony Excess? That one SMU player's family was offered livestock lol it's not blood-stained dollars.

They haven't always been paid to the extent and price point that they are now.. Yes, money has been exchanged in the past for some, but many never saw a dime, regardless of talent.  There have been many very talented players that came from families that refused any kind of incentives that were outside the rules. In today's environment, they do expect compensation & can openly make demands. Some even have agents.  There has never been a time when there were multiple QBs that could expect million dollar deals for one season.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 2:27 PM, bishoptf said:

I guess I am more of a free market, people should be paid what they are worth, many of these kids will not go on to play NFL ball and this money will help them on there career outside of football. They are putting there physical bodies on the line every time they go out there and why should the university, or espn or anyone else make the boat loads that they have been getting for some time and the kids not get a piece of it. I don't disagree that I wish more money could be used for some of the less popular sports but the football program bringing in money does help provide those other sports to be played. QB and some positions will also just draw higher prices since they are a key piece, just my humble opinion. 

All these years working for my corporate overlords kind of has changed my outlook on things...

If this was purely business, I would agree. However, it is about more than just business. There is not an unlimited supply of money. While a business is concerned with the bottom line, an educational institution has a long list of competing priorities. Treating college athletics like any other business will be disastrous in the long term. Unfortunately, people won't consider reasonable parameters until they see the damage.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I love that you included the stats piece. It’s interesting when you compare the whole body of work over 3-4 years, how many people are clamoring for QBs with lower key stats than Thorne like completion percentage, y/a, yards per game, TD, QB rating, etc. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Or you could ask if Thorne entered the portal where would he be ranked on the QB list? My guess would be way down the line compared to the names being mentioned.

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

From that list, my preferences would be:

1.  Leonard

2. Howard

3. McCall

Leonard's stats are very similar to Thorne's. Leonard 61.7%, 7.2/attempt, 24 TD 10 Int.  Thorne 61.3%, 7.4/attempt 64 TDs 33 Ints.   Howard's completion % is worse and all else is equal 58.8%  7.4/attempt 48TD 25 Int.  McCall's are clearly better 69.9%, 88Td 14 Int  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, keesler said:

@keesler We were already in contact with him. In fact, we led at 1 time.

22 hours ago, AUatHeart said:

Riley Leonard, from Fairhope so that helps.  Price is in a bidding war with ND.

Not so much. We already had an agreement with RL before his agent got ND involved. RL may have to smooth things over with Hugh before we would take him now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I dont get it. We would have give our left arm for mccall last yr. He is available now, why the hesitation?

@NWALA Tiger It's not even hesitation this time. More like not interested. Either way I haven't heard why. Just that we aren't interested.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Putting all our eggs in riley leonard or cam ward basket it appears

Likely not in the Cam Ward basket & as I said above likely not the Riley Leonard basket anymore either. Will Howard may be 1 to watch.

Apparently Will Howard already made a trip to USC. Hopefully this does not become a repeat of last year . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Likely not in the Cam Ward basket & as I said above likely not the Riley Leonard basket anymore either. Will Howard may be 1 to watch.

Don't know alot about Howard. Is he much of an upgrade

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Why not go all in on Cam Ward? We gonna be stuck with PT again, I can smell it.

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Why not go all in on Cam Ward?

There's mutual interest but I don't think Hugh will break the bank to get him.

We gonna be stuck with PT again, I can smell it.

To be brutally honest Hugh is fine with that. He expects a big upgrade out of PT in year 2 at AU.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 2

43 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Gonna   be wild today. Ohio St starting QB in the portal 

Wasn't impressed overall with McCord.

Why not go all in on Cam Ward? We gonna be stuck with PT again, I can smell it.

• Like 1