2024 QB Portal Thread

Paladin

I think this will end up playing out like last year. We'll slow play it until most of the top QBs are locked up and we get a late but decent portal QB on the cheap. But thinking we shouldn't expect something soon unless we lose a QB from our room. 

I'm not necessarily excited about this plan, but also think investing in the O-line, D-line and Ryan Williams is probably a better bang for the buck than putting all our eggs into a transfer QB basket. But who knows. I'm guessing most of us would prefer that we swing for the fences on a QB.

20 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

I think this will end up playing out like last year. We'll slow play it until most of the top QBs are locked up and we get a late but decent portal QB on the cheap. But thinking we shouldn't expect something soon unless we lose a QB from our room. 

I'm not necessarily excited about this plan, but also think investing in the O-line, D-line and Ryan Williams is probably a better bang for the buck than putting all our eggs into a transfer QB basket. But who knows. I'm guessing most of us would prefer that we swing for the fences on a QB.

The ON3 guys said in a recent podcast that Williams coming to Auburn would be dependent on which QB was brought in thru the portal. It now seems uncertain if anyone is brought in. Im holding out hope as names keep dropping that Freeze will add somebody.

58 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

I'm not necessarily excited about this plan

@HAPvsOA ICYMI we had a plan & deal in place with Riley Leonard but his side went back on the deal when his agent got ND involved.

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@HAPvsOA ICYMI we had a plan & deal in place with Riley Leonard but his side went back on the deal when his agent got ND involved.

I hope we have a solid plan B.  Kentucky has now grabbed Brock Vandargriff from uga.  He lacks experience, but is extremely talented and would walk into our QB room and be the most talented guy in the room on day 1. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 9:13 AM, Mikey said:

From UCF to Okie to ??? I'm thinking this musical chairs by QB's is nothing but them trying to get the benefit of a bidding war. Starters leaving successful programs can't have much other reason than money. I'm not a fan of this crap.

It likely is exactly that, but until the grown ups actually fix the system, I can't really blame them for taking advantage of it.  There are clearly a large number of people with wealth that don't mind giving it away in exchange for hope.  Imagine if they cared as much about real problems.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 7:09 PM, ellitor said:

@NWALA Tiger Not sure if you missed it earlier in the thread but RL may have some mending to do with Hugh on going back on the deal we had in place with him before Hugh may take him back.

In the current environment, I doubt that would require much more than a simple phone call.

It would be nonsensical for Freeze to be mad about Riley Leonard's representative looking for other deals when Freeze's agent does the same things. If Freeze is upset about that, he needs to drop the ego. Sexton has a reputation for a reason. Leonard's representative is no different. 

• Like 1

GM was the #1 QB on our board last year.   I’m assuming CHF knows something we don’t that explains the lack of interest.   
I have no idea how much money we’re talking about, but I hope we haven’t completely given up on RL.   I like him a lot.  
There are other good QBs out there.   I really hope we don’t play it too slow.   I think PT can be good.  But not getting here until July really hurt his progress.  We need a QB in the Dec/Jan window!

17 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

GM was the #1 QB on our board last year.   I’m assuming CHF knows something we don’t that explains the lack of interest.   
I have no idea how much money we’re talking about, but I hope we haven’t completely given up on RL.   I like him a lot.  
There are other good QBs out there.   I really hope we don’t play it too slow.   I think PT can be good.  But not getting here until July really hurt his progress.  We need a QB in the Dec/Jan window!

Transfer QBs want to go in to a situation like we had last year with zero to little competition and no established starter. They want a wide open runway to the starting job. McCall has way less competition if he goes to nc state or ucf for the starting job. They basically want it all but guaranteed that they will be a starter.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Transfer QBs want to go in to a situation like we had last year with zero to little competition and no established starter. They want a wide open runway to the starting job. McCall has way less competition if he goes to nc state or ucf for the starting job. They basically want it all but guaranteed that they will be a starter.

It’s especially important if you only have 1 year of eligibility left

• Thanks 1

A PT that has an experienced OL, better offensive weapons, deep RB room, a full year in the system, and not sharing snaps with RA will be a much better PT than we saw this year. 

Auburn is not in “win the national title” mode yet. We’re in “compete every game, beat a rival or two, and get to 9-10 wins mode” 

Thorne is the guy who is supposed to bridge to the next long term starter (hopefully WW if HG leaves). 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, woodford said:

A PT that has an experienced OL, better offensive weapons, deep RB room, a full year in the system, and not sharing snaps with RA will be a much better PT than we saw this year. 

Auburn is not in “win the national title” mode yet. We’re in “compete every game, beat a rival or two, and get to 9-10 wins mode” 

Thorne is the guy who is supposed to bridge to the next long term starter (hopefully WW if HG leaves). 

This is how we should be looking at things.  Patience, there is a plan.  Let's all pray that PT takes that step forward and we finish the ESP and TP strong.  Need all hands on deck come spring training.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BoogingBarner said:

Haven't read thru every post so it may have already been posted but UGA quarterback Brock Vandagriff transferred to Kentucky to take the place of Devin Leary 

Yeah, not sure if it has been mention either, but I did hear about Vandagriff's transfer to Kentucky on the radio.

Makes you wonder what kind of deals are being worked out with the top dogs still in the portal if the ugag qB has already committed/signed with uk?

I wonder if CHF is still trying to work something out with one of the top tier QBs behind the scenes?

33 minutes ago, BoogingBarner said:

Haven't read thru every post so it may have already been posted but UGA quarterback Brock Vandagriff transferred to Kentucky to take the place of Devin Leary 

@BoogingBarner in the QB portal thread, which your post has now been moved to.

On 12/6/2023 at 3:05 AM, ellitor said:

Yes. Couldn't transfer anywhere due to grades. It wasn't just AU. A lot of schools wanted him. He would have transferred to a number of places last yea if his grades were better.

So it wasn't because we didn't offer his major? 

On 12/6/2023 at 8:31 PM, NWALA Tiger said:

Is there a 2nd page?

Have you heard anywhere that Robby will graduate and transfer and Walker White will fill his spot and that's it for our plans at QB? Thorne, Geriner, WW and Hank Brown next year.

7 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

So it wasn't because we didn't offer his major? 

@TeamZero77 No. Florida was a contender too & had his major but couldn't accept him because some of his grades from CCU wouldn't transfer.

• Thanks 1