Jaylin Simpson when asked if he likes Under Armour

GwillMac6

Auburn won't get an Air Jordan deal.  Jordan has kept it one team per conference (with the exception of Pac who had both UCLA and Cal).  With OU coming into the conference that will give us two Jordan schools (UF and OU). I doubt Jordan adds a third.

Auburn is UA's 2nd biggest college brand (behind Notre Dame) so I am sure they will make the contract lucrative. I think switching to Nike might be more beneficial for basketball than football. 

10 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Adidas is terrible. Nike or Jordan

It's wild. The sole reason everyone is against the best sports clothing brand in the world is bc of Bama

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Only people who like under armor were the people on this board 50 and over.....

Well I'm way over 50 and I have never had anything UA can't stand the crap. 

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

i got a great pair of shades they made back in the day. they were great and i rode my sporster back then  they took a hell of a beating. i think that is the only stuff of theirs i bought.

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Okay...how about not everyone over 50 likes under armour but anyone who likes under armour is over 50

Given Cohen's level of competency, I expect we'll get fleeced with another 10 years of Under Armor. Who knows, we may become the first school with Athletic Works or Kirkland Signature deal.

Edited by JBiGGiE
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Given Cohen's level of competency, I expect we'll get fleeced with another 10 years of Under Armor. Who knows, we may become the first school with Athletic Works or Kirkland Signature deal.

Maybe we get a Golf signature deal.!!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Maybe we get a Golf signature deal.!!!!!

we could do a lot worse hank........

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

It's wild. The sole reason everyone is against the best sports clothing brand in the world is bc of Bama

Is anyone on here actually against going to Nike?  I've said it before that any extra money we would be getting from UA for continuing with them would be made back in spades with getting better athletes and winning more games in the future with Nike/Jordan.  Basketball would be even better.

Edited by fishepa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fishepa said:

Is anyone on here actually against going to Nike?  I've said it before that any extra money we would be getting from UA for continuing with them would be made back in spades with getting better athletes and winning more games in the future with Nike/Jordan.  Basketball would be even better.

I don't know now, but not that long ago you absolutely had people against it for whatever reason

29 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well then I guess that means you are one who doesn't,  but the group of people who were for it and against let's say Nike were absolutely people over 50, which still raises the point that maybe since this stuff plays a role with recruiting that should be thought about as to that individual may not have a grasp on what is fashionable at the time and they should consider that. 

There's no need to face palm me and all of that I'm sure much worse things have been said that didn't cause a reaction or maybe you even laughed at. 

1 hour ago, fishepa said:

Plenty of people have been against Nike/Jordan for reason other than money, it's mainly b/c of Bama.

The amount of money is peanuts.  So UA is going to give us 12mm and Nike/Jumpman is going to give us $4?.  8 Million sounds like a lot, but what is the opportunity cost of 1-2 elite basketball players per year or not being a hurdle in Football recruiting b/c no one likes their gear?  

It's not like the clothing deal is going to fund our $400 million stadium renovations or make or break it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Plenty of people have been against Nike/Jordan for reason other than money, it's mainly b/c of Bama.

The amount of money is peanuts.  So UA is going to give us 12mm and Nike/Jumpman is going to give us $4?.  8 Million sounds like a lot, but what is the opportunity cost of 1-2 elite basketball players per year or not being a hurdle in Football recruiting b/c no one likes their gear?  

It's not like the clothing deal is going to fund our $400 million stadium renovations or make or break it.

$8M/year over the course of a 10 year deal is $80M.  It might not fund a $400M stadium renovation, but that isn't peanuts.

I do agree though, that if the figures are relatively close, you go with Nike.

And I know you were dogging adidas earlier, but the same is true of them whether you like their consumer gear or not.  They are one of the "Big Two" in college basketball recruiting and make good competition gear for athletic teams.

• Like 1

In our current position, we need to do everything we can to not look like a second rate program. And UA is below second rate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/8/2023 at 8:48 AM, cole256 said:

Think they started in the 90's made a huge advertising push in the early '00s. Never really reached that level again after that.

Most people who hop onto and stay with brands choose them in their 20's, which would make those that UAs last/only popularity run gained now in their 40s-50s.

TL/DR - I concur with Cole.

Also down with a change, which sweat shop/slave labor clothes line we wanna go with next?

4 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Think they started in the 90's made a huge advertising push in the early '00s. Never really reached that level again after that.

Most people who hop onto and stay with brands choose them in their 20's, which would make those that UAs last/only popularity run gained now in their 40s-50s.

TL/DR - I concur with Cole.

Also down with a change, which sweat shop/slave labor clothes line we wanna go with next?

UA was transformative.  They were the first company to start changing the fabric of athletic clothes and pushing away from cotton.  That helped them gain marketshare...their problem was everyone else quickly caught up and started making better products.

I guess I don't understand some of the thinking that goes into deciding on a "clothing" brand. 

From the older 50 group's perspective, why would they decide to go with something different just because bama wears this or that? That's just plain stupid and stupid to suggest it.

From the younger than 50 group's perspective, why would they decide just to go with Nike because it's assumed they have better this or that? News....they don't, they just have more money and can buy more endorsements.

Bottom line, AU should choose the brand that pays us the most money. All you +50, -50, and such, wear what you want to wear it's your money. 

Geeze this is a dumb topic. LOL

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, creed said:

I guess I don't understand some of the thinking that goes into deciding on a "clothing" brand. 

From the older 50 group's perspective, why would they decide to go with something different just because bama wears this or that? That's just plain stupid and stupid to suggest it.

From the younger than 50 group's perspective, why would they decide just to go with Nike because it's assumed they have better this or that? News....they don't, they just have more money and can buy more endorsements.

Bottom line, AU should choose the brand that pays us the most money. All you +50, -50, and such, wear what you want to wear it's your money. 

Geeze this is a dumb topic. LOL

It is Such a dumb topic you decided to do your senior thesis on it…. 

IMG_6124.gif

IMG_6089.gif

IMG_6075.gif

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It is Such a dumb topic you decided to do your senior thesis on it…. 

IMG_6124.gif

IMG_6089.gif

IMG_6075.gif

Yes. I do that sometimes. 😉

Today’s AJs are way better shoes than versions 1,2, and 3. In that regard, I’m highly skeptical that today’s UA shoes are as bad as the first few editions, or what gets reported here. However, at the end of the day, each one of us has individual needs in a shoe. I get the $$$$ involved with the school branding thing, but the punch line is the kid’s comfort and performance….not what is “cool”. Much as I’d like a bit more style, I wear New Balance, because they work better for me than the swoosh or UA. 

4 hours ago, tomcat said:

Today’s AJs are way better shoes than versions 1,2, and 3. In that regard, I’m highly skeptical that today’s UA shoes are as bad as the first few editions, or what gets reported here. However, at the end of the day, each one of us has individual needs in a shoe. I get the $$$$ involved with the school branding thing, but the punch line is the kid’s comfort and performance….not what is “cool”. Much as I’d like a bit more style, I wear New Balance, because they work better for me than the swoosh or UA. 

New balance helps us in our recovery from joint replacement surgery.

On 12/8/2023 at 8:48 AM, cole256 said:

50? You must be thinking Converse... My sons are in college and when they were 10ish, UA was the rage.  10 yrs ago. They rose quickly and faded quickly.

However, sports apparel is all about perception and brand. And if most people are like you and see them as old guy stuff - they’re cooked. I think the major practical concern about UA is in bball recruiting.

2 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

50? You must be thinking Converse... My sons are in college and when they were 10ish, UA was the rage.  10 yrs ago. They rose quickly and faded quickly.

However, sports apparel is all about perception and brand. And if most people are like you and see them as old guy stuff - they’re cooked. I think the major practical concern about UA is in bball recruiting.

No I'm thinking UA. UA was OK as far as football stuff and had a nice run but they weren't ever go to as far as basketball.  Even with steph, which people would joke about sometimes.  (He had a couple of shoes which were actually dope) 

But really as far as fashion and stuff goes football isn't as impactful as basketball as far as culture. It's not a perception It's the style,  UA just haven't made too many stylish clothes that people would wear.  It's not that I see them as old guy stuff it's nobody really wears their stuff but mostly old guys

• Like 1