Will Jarquez Hunter return?

Old fan 47

Saw this article as to where he is undecided. I believe it would hurt some, but not be as big an impact as we think. AU rushed for almost 2,700 this year and he had 865. I believe we are good without him, but I think it’s a mistake for him to go pro. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Saw this article as to where he is undecided. I believe it would hurt some, but not be as big an impact as we think. AU rushed for almost 2,700 this year and he had 865. I believe we are good without him, but I think it’s a mistake for him to go pro. 

His grade has to be pretty low. May be ready to move on regardless of the grade though.

If he believes in himself to find the right situation as an undrafted free agent it’s probably the right move. Probably gonna be a lot fewer carries next year with the WR class we have. 

Edited by zeroforwinger
  • Like 1

Huge mistake if he thinks he's NFL ready. I'll never forget Robert Johnson, Auburn TE that by the end of his junior yr was hurdling would be tacklers and looking like a man. He clearly wasnt ready but was on his way. Listened to handlers who told him to go early. Didn't get drafted and is sitting on a porch now selling insurance.

• Like 4

I think he is NFL ready. But that’s a position where you almost have to show it on the field. With his slow start this year and inconsistency in the OL, his numbers weren’t that great overall this year. If he comes back, he has a real chance at improving his stock by showcasing what he really can do. Right now, I’d think he’d go undrafted. Could be one of the best in the league if he comes back. That said, he’s probably just wanting to see where he stands before deciding, and I’m not going to fault him for wanting a grade. 

Edited by ScotsAU

3 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

He clearly says it in this video linked. He is undecided.  I think that room is in good shape one way or another. He is a good back so I take nothing away from him. Those behind him are also good backs. To say we won't miss Hunter is a disservice to him. To say that his leaving is a huge step back is a disservice to the others in the room and Caddy.  

i read this morning in posting articles that he is the only kid left from the 21or 22 signing class. i have no idea if that is true but it surprises me.

17 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i read this morning in posting articles that he is the only kid left from the 21or 22 signing class. i have no idea if that is true but it surprises me.

It doesn’t surprise me. 

54 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

'21 class, and there's others still there but not many.

Bridges

Langlo

Marquis I think... maybe?

Just now, Mims44 said:

'21 class, and there's others still there but not many.

Bridges

Langlo

Marquis I think... maybe?

it was in an article i posted today. i have gotten where i post stuff but i am fully aware some folks will stretch the truth. i know it is slim anyway. merry christmas mr mims................

28 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

it was in an article i posted today. i have gotten where i post stuff but i am fully aware some folks will stretch the truth. i know it is slim anyway. merry christmas mr mims................

Outta 18 signees and I'm not sure if Marquis is still around or not.

1-3 outta 18 is still pretty rough. Looking through a lot of the transfers too, a lot of them landed at decent P5 schools. No idea how much they contribute there but it's not a bunch of guys who went down to juco/fcs schools.

I would be interested to know if that is normal numbers for a school going through multiple head coaches in just a few years.

And Merry Christmas Fiddy

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Outta 18 signees and I'm not sure if Marquis is still around or not.

1-3 outta 18 is still pretty rough. Looking through a lot of the transfers too, a lot of them landed at decent P5 schools. No idea how much they contribute there but it's not a bunch of guys who went down to juco/fcs schools.

I would be interested to know if that is normal numbers for a school going through multiple head coaches in just a few years.

And Merry Christmas Fiddy

Most of those guys jumped off after Harsin's first year. Way above normal and I can't blame them.

• Like 1

From an "AU perspective"  I'd love to have him back.  Granted, we have depth and talent in the RB room, but I think JH is the clear leader.

From a "Jarquez Hunter perspective" I wish him luck whichever way he decides to go, but I think he'd be better suited to stay.   As someone above said, with the WR class coming in he may get a few fewer carries, but that same class will also force the defenses to play honestly as opposed to running into a stacked box every time as he did this year.

• Like 2

Maybe "undecided" is a negotiating tactic, because I don't think he's on any NFL Draft boards at this time. 

And to be clear, I'm not one that thinks you have to be regarded as a high round pick to leave early. Sometimes things in life dictate those decisions.

On 12/19/2023 at 8:26 PM, aucanucktiger said:

Huge mistake if he thinks he's NFL ready. I'll never forget Robert Johnson, Auburn TE that by the end of his junior yr was hurdling would be tacklers and looking like a man. He clearly wasnt ready but was on his way. Listened to handlers who told him to go early. Didn't get drafted and is sitting on a porch now selling insurance.

Scored two TD’s on Bama , in t-town, if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

If he jumps, I wish him well. I don't think he has earned the NFL cred, but I wish the best for him if he decides to go pro..

We got guys ready to step up. I'm not concerned about Auburn at RB.

Edited by AURex