Our Season in 2 plays

LPTiger

Play 1-- On the long 60 yard pass play on Maryland's first drive --- the backup QB literally throws the ball about 5 yards to a running back behind the LOS.   Nixon is about 1/2 of a step too slow to get his head across the RB and instead his falling down/diving tackle behind the LOS is not successful.   Meanwhile, Asante is flying toward the ball carrier like a bat out of hell and would have made the tackle at or near the LOS except for the fact that Maryland's TE grabs him by his jersey and spins him 180 degrees.   A hold that goes completely unnoticed.    Then at the 20, our true freshman DB whiffs on the tackle giving up another 15 yards.   If Nixon makes the tackle or if the hold is called -- Maryland is in a hole.   

Play 2 -- On the Terp's second possession, they complete a 10 yard pass over the middle around mid-filed.  We have great pursuit on the play and no less than 7 Tigers surround the receiver as the ball comes out.   At least 3 Tigers among the 7 touch the football (# 12 is seen sprinting off the field signaling it is our ball) and the player that actually secures the ball is Maryland's left tackle.   We look haphazard simply trying to recover a fumble...    How many times this year did we fumble the ball and not be able to recover it or the other team fumble and us not able to recover it... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Play 1-- On the long 60 yard pass play on Maryland's first drive --- the backup QB literally throws the ball about 5 yards to a running back behind the LOS.   Nixon is about 1/2 of a step too slow to get his head across the RB and instead his falling down/diving tackle behind the LOS is not successful.   Meanwhile, Asante is flying toward the ball carrier like a bat out of hell and would have made the tackle at or near the LOS except for the fact that Maryland's TE grabs him by his jersey and spins him 180 degrees.   A hold that goes completely unnoticed.    Then at the 20, our true freshman DB whiffs on the tackle giving up another 15 yards.   If Nixon makes the tackle or if the hold is called -- Maryland is in a hole.   

Play 2 -- On the Terp's second possession, they complete a 10 yard pass over the middle around mid-filed.  We have great pursuit on the play and no less than 7 Tigers surround the receiver as the ball comes out.   At least 3 Tigers among the 7 touch the football (# 12 is seen sprinting off the field signaling it is our ball) and the player that actually secures the ball is Maryland's left tackle.   We look haphazard simply trying to recover a fumble...    How many times this year did we fumble the ball and not be able to recover it or the other team fumble and us not able to recover it... 

Just sounds like losing mentality. And lack of fundamentals.

• Like 1

I saw it from the first game to the last game.   This Auburn team is not very football savvy.   I’ve seen too many mental errors or lack of judgment to say it’s poor coaching.   It’s things that were thought in high school, and I’m sure it’s thought in college.    Oh well, this year is over and let’s hope next year is a better year.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I saw it from the first game to the last game.   This Auburn team is not very football savvy.   I’ve seen too many mental errors or lack of judgment to say it’s poor coaching.   It’s things that were thought in high school, and I’m sure it’s thought in college.    Oh well, this year is over and let’s hope next year is a better year.   

We will be hoping the next year is better, after next year

• Haha 1

Many comments in this thread and other recent threads go hand in hand with Freeze yesterday saying that this team has a "loose leashes...disease of me" problem.  I knew we were short on SEC-caliber talent, but didn't realize the extent of the attitude issues.

‘Loose leashes’ and the ‘disease of me’ plague Auburn’s locker room. Hugh Freeze must fix it in 2024 - al.com

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

Many comments in this thread and other recent threads go hand in hand with Freeze yesterday saying that this team has a "loose leashes...disease of me" problem.  I knew we were short on SEC-caliber talent, but didn't realize the extent of the attitude issues.

‘Loose leashes’ and the ‘disease of me’ plague Auburn’s locker room. Hugh Freeze must fix it in 2024 - al.com

I would settle for just increasing the overall team football IQ out of the single digits. don't know if that's coachable or not

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

I would settle for just increasing the overall team football IQ out of the single digits. don't know if that's coachable or not

I’ve said this all season. 

2 hours ago, woodford said:

I think you’re right on. Fumbles are tricky because there’s more luck involved with an oddly shaped ball bouncing around but yes, we should’ve fallen on that. 

Fall on the football.  You don’t have to pick it up and take it to the house. 

• Like 1

We have a fundamental lack of talent in our 2 deep.  High caliber and affective coaching isn’t enough.  

We need 2 years of high level recruiting.  Then magically our coaching will be better.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

We have a fundamental lack of talent in our 2 deep.  High caliber and affective coaching isn’t enough.  

We need 2 years of high level recruiting.  Then magically our coaching will be better.

It’s evident there’s a lack of talent, I’m not so sure we have affective and high caliber coaching either.  

There needs to be some serious development going on in the offseason and the coaching staff needs it just as much as the players. 

• Like 1

Elite athletes just make plays -- over and over.   Whether it is catching a 50/50 ball, making every tackle when they get their hands on you or recovering fumbles.   I'm not sure we have an elite athlete on our entire roster rn (maybe Harris and Faulk).   But we do have some coming in this recruiting class. As @mustache eagle noted, elite athletes make coaches look smarter.

20 hours ago, keesler said:

It’s evident there’s a lack of talent, I’m not so sure we have affective and high caliber coaching either.  

There needs to be some serious development going on in the offseason and the coaching staff needs it just as much as the players. 

Thank you. I for one am tired of hearing excuses from head coaches. HF has chosen not to go to the portal for QB help, so it’s on him as far as I’m concerned. We will see if he can develop a QB at a high level school and conference. 

Why pay for all these flashy new recruits? Multiple times this year it seems like the guys didn’t even line up right. We don’t play with leverage, we don’t tackle well. The list goes on. 

Or two plays:

4th & 31 is incomplete

Bowers is covered, then OT

Or one play:

Cal doesn't sleepwalk during that 4th quarter play - (no bowl game again for Auburn)

Not being fast enough to run down a fast running back is talent. Not being smart enough to know the right angle to take to pursue a ball carrier, a d lineman not getting their hands up to deflect a pass, or for a punt returner not knowing when to run away from a punt instead of fielding it (IronBowl) are fundamentals and have to be coached into players. Our staff has a lot of work to do in drilling football IQ into our team members.