How does Auburn Matchup against other SEC Teams

I have been watching a lot of SEC games today plus some non-SEC games.

Tenn  - looks like the cream of the crop. Tough D and they have both an inside and outside game. They have two very good bigs great PG and multiple solid wing players. I think the current Tenn team is better then our team at this point in the season. This teams D is special.

KY - Lot of talent play hard but defense is not always great but they can score.  Hard to say who is better right now I think 50/50 chance of outr beating them.

Ga - an awful lot of really good 3 point shooters , Broome should hurt them and we should be able to take 3 away from them. We can beat them.

bama - good team Sears is a really go PG who is complete in scores, assists, and plays D. Lots of shooters suspect on D. We can beat them if we play like we are capable

Ole Miss -  not as good as their record we can beat them.

Fla - played KY to wire we can beat them but must brring our A game.

SC - Really good will need to see a couple more games.

Miss State - Solid team will be tough but beatable.

Don't know enough about other teams to comment yet.

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I have been watching a lot of SEC games today plus some non-SEC games.

Tenn  - looks like the cream of the crop. Tough D and they have both an inside and outside game. They have two very good bigs great PG and multiple solid wing players. I think the current Tenn team is better then our team at this point in the season. This teams D is special.

KY - Lot of talent play hard but defense is not always great but they can score.  Hard to say who is better right now I think 50/50 chance of outr beating them.

Ga - an awful lot of really good 3 point shooters , Broome should hurt them and we should be able to take 3 away from them. We can beat them.

bama - good team Sears is a really go PG who is complete in scores, assists, and plays D. Lots of shooters suspect on D. We can beat them if we play like we are capable

Ole Miss -  not as good as their record we can beat them.

Fla - played KY to wire we can beat them but must brring our A game.

SC - Really good will need to see a couple more games.

Miss State - Solid team will be tough but beatable.

Don't know enough about other teams to comment yet.

Our ceiling is right there with Kentucky and Tennessee. Bama and Texas A & M are very solid as well. Those teams are the 5 best, in my opinion. Spot on about Ole Miss. Anybody that knows basketball knew they were a paper tiger. Their schedule has been a joke, thus the undefeated record. They are getting exposed in a major way tonight.

I think our upside is up there with any of them. We might be the best team in the league, or we might be the sixth best. I just hope we are playing our A game in February/March. If Denver Jones  and Baker can go on a little roll to close the season we can compete. I’m loving our point guard rotation. I think we go 11-7 or 12-6 and finish about fourth in the league right now. 

1 hour ago, arktiger1975 said:

Spot on about Ole Miss. Anybody that knows basketball knew they were a paper tiger. Their schedule has been a joke, thus the undefeated record. They are getting exposed in a major way tonight.

I could have put together a team from this forum and gone 6-6 against their schedule.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, OfficiatingExpert said:

I think our upside is up there with any of them. We might be the best team in the league, or we might be the sixth best. I just hope we are playing our A game in February/March. If Denver Jones  and Baker can go on a little roll to close the season we can compete. I’m loving our point guard rotation. I think we go 11-7 or 12-6 and finish about fourth in the league right now. 

Given that although it is round, the ball bounces funny sometimes but I do not see seven losses on our schedule unless every pick ‘em game is a loss. We have an excellent chance to start the season strong before we take our first conference loss.  I see a max of five losses and four of those are on the road.  And I truly believe that we have a chance, given no injuries or bad breaks, to have three or less. 

I may eat crow in a few weeks but I like this team the more I see them play.

• Like 2

Well,  against Arkansas - pretty good!

I think we are top 3 in the SEC.

Edited by AUY2K
  • Like 1

There are SEC teams that have already played actual real quality opponents, losing some and winning some. Then there are teams like Auburn that have played a weak pre-season nonconference schedule and look good, but without being really tested. (e.g., Auburn played Baylor and lost, but has not yet played any other nationally ranked quality team.)

I'm very optimistic about Auburn, but have some concerns. For example, when our guys are throwing bricks from outside, what happens if the other team has stout defense and quality bigs inside? That's Tenn and Florida. And when speed and offensive firepower line up against our guys (Kentucky and Bama), can we score enough to win?

Personally, I like the rotation of Aden and Tre. B-M and Williams have been very solid. Jonni taking 3s is kinda worrying. KD is an unpredictable wild card every time he steps on the floor.

I wish Jones could achieve his hype as a 3point sharp-shooter. We could sure use him in that role, but he isn't there (yet?).

So, JMO, Auburn's potential depends a lot on who shows up against a particular opponent. Game to game consistency is not there, although depth certainly has helped so far.

I kinda expect Auburn to finish 4th in the SEC, but am hoping for better! WDE!

Edited by AURex

2 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

Our ceiling is right there with Kentucky and Tennessee. Bama and Texas A & M are very solid as well. Those teams are the 5 best, in my opinion. Spot on about Ole Miss. Anybody that knows basketball knew they were a paper tiger. Their schedule has been a joke, thus the undefeated record. They are getting exposed in a major way tonight.

I may take back what I said about A & M. Losing at home to garbage LSU early in the 2nd half.

46 minutes ago, NCAubs said:

Given that although it is round, the ball bounces funny sometimes but I do not see seven losses on our schedule unless every pick ‘em game is a loss. We have an excellent chance to start the season strong before we take our first conference loss.  I see a max of five losses and four of those are on the road.  And I truly believe that we have a chance, given no injuries or bad breaks, to have three or less. 

I may eat crow in a few weeks but I like this team the more I see them play.

I’d love it if we pull it off. We’ve only played one quad one game so far. We need to win some of these tossups to get a good seed. War Eagle

• Like 1

I'm watching the A&M game with LSU since we play them next at home.  A&M has gotten us the last few times and had their way playing us.  I really want to beat this team.  

What surprises me is that A&M is playing at home and only has 3 players making up the bench - 3!  If they are that low on players, we will want to play up tempo to wear them down.  At the half, the bench pitched in 3 pts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 81spacetiger said:

I'm watching the A&M game with LSU since we play them next at home.  A&M has gotten us the last few times and had their way playing us.  I really want to beat this team.  

What surprises me is that A&M is playing at home and only has 3 players making up the bench - 3!  If they are that low on players, we will want to play up tempo to wear them down.  At the half, the bench pitched in 3 pts.

Can't believe A & M is struggling at home with this dreadful LSU team. McMahon's tenure there has gone about like the Tony Barbee's tenure did at Auburn. 

2 hours ago, AURex said:

There are SEC teams that have already played actual real quality opponents, losing some and winning some. Then there are teams like Auburn that have played a weak pre-season nonconference schedule and look good, but without being really tested. (e.g., Auburn played Baylor and lost, but has not yet played any other nationally ranked quality team.)

I'm very optimistic about Auburn, but have some concerns. For example, when our guys are throwing bricks from outside, what happens if the other team has stout defense and quality bigs inside? That's Tenn and Florida. And when speed and offensive firepower line up against our guys (Kentucky and Bama), can we score enough to win?

Personally, I like the rotation of Aden and Tre. B-M and Williams have been very solid. Jonni taking 3s is kinda worrying. KD is an unpredictable wild card every time he steps on the floor.

I wish Jones could achieve his hype as a 3point sharp-shooter. We could sure use him in that role, but he isn't there (yet?).

So, JMO, Auburn's potential depends a lot on who shows up against a particular opponent. Game to game consistency is not there, although depth certainly has helped so far.

I kinda expect Auburn to finish 4th in the SEC, but am hoping for better! WDE!

I don't think they really played many teams worthwhile enough in the non-conf to extrapolate data, but we have had a few games where the collective shot was off, and we got it going with running in transition. But honestly, you're not going to have too too many teams that are going to do much offensively if you take their top 2 options for points away. Kansas got a meh day from Dickinson and went 35% (6-17) from 3 against Marquette and just got skull dragged. And they have another NPOY contender in McCullar (who scored almost half their points lol).

Even the best teams find it hard to adjust when you're reaching down that far. Just gotta hope the D looks as good as it did today (which would be enough to compete against Tenn, may need alot more to beat a UK or Alabama on a VERY off day) 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

1 hour ago, OfficiatingExpert said:

I’d love it if we pull it off. We’ve only played one quad one game so far. We need to win some of these tossups to get a good seed. War Eagle

Did not think Ark was that bad off, damn. That UNCG loss was putrid. Struggled to UNCW for a while too (I may have those two flipped). 

That App State game would've qualified as a Q1 win (or loss) very recently, for what it's worth. I think I checked like two weeks ago and it still would've qualified at that point. The one thing I'll say is that even though Arkansas stinks, we won't play in a more disadvantageous road environment, other than Rupp and maybe the Swamp. We just never win in either, but this Florida team is like middle of the pack as it gets. We also rarely play in there with stable point guard play, so hopefully Tre is still healthy of body and mind by that point. 

• Like 1