Hugh to take over play calling....

W.E.D

15 minutes ago, japantiger said:

And I would offer that this model works for the most successful teams in CFB.  Throw in, as many have mentioned, that the HC job has gotten a lot more complicated in the last 5 years with the Transfer portal and NIL.  An SEC West job today is not Liberty or Ole Miss 7 to 11 years ago (where he averaged 5 losses a year and got the program in trouble). 

I don't get that HF couldn't get aligned with his OC.  Part of a leaders job is teaching.  If he didn't like what the OC was doing, them teach him how to do it better or how to do more of what you want.  That is what practice and scrimmages are for.  I never hired a leader for a role that I didn't spend a significant amount of time early on getting aligned on strategy/expectations and how do do things.  It's a basic of leadership.   

Now, if the person just won't learn or has a different philosophy; assuming they've been taught (which is doubtful in this case for the obvious reason that HF's response is just to do the OC role); then you get rid of them.  No issue with that.  But you don't then turn around and admit you can't lead well enough to find a top quality coordinator that can implement your strategy.  This is pure Jimbo Fisher bull**** and what got him fired.  He had his nose in play sheets and couldn't see the forest for the trees.  Many on here loved Derrick Mason...he pulled that nonsense at Vandy and it's what got him fired...he took over the defense after he fired his DC after the 1st year and it was all downhill from there (he was run ragged and the defense actually never got better with him running it).  The overall team certainly got worse.  

He's made his bed.  I hope I am wrong.  He's certainly not going with the odds.

Yeah I don’t fault him for prioritizing recruiting , but insiders were saying how great of an offensive mind that PM was (and no doubt he probably is) but clearly it was a major failure at Auburn. My issue is the constant throwing the OC under the bus , basically saying the gameplan was poor but it wasn’t me…:okay but you are the head coach, so it ultimately falls at your feet.  The thing that gets me is the hypocrisy I see around here when Harsin did it, it was a major fail. Anywho, I am rooting for freeze and glad he is getting back to his roots. Go back to calling plays man. If he makes it work with PT, he deserves all his flowers. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

You seem to be arguing against a point I'm not making and I'm not sure I've seen anyone else make here either. Was someone arguing for calling it a success?  Or that he was playing 4D chess?  I think what I've seen is people saying, he made a choice he thought could allow him to focus on recruiting more and that the it wasn't an unreasonable plan.  It just didn't work out in terms of on the field production and now he's fixing the problem.  

I mean, maybe somebody out there is treating it like some kind of masterplan that's played out to perfection and I missed it.  And admittedly I haven't read every post on the subject here so maybe that person exists.  But neither do I see it as some kind of catastrophe or something to get all that concerned about at this point in his tenure.

There are def people posting about how it was a genius move to not involve himself in game planning. And that if you think a HC should involve himself in game planning then you obviously don't know football.

There's another one seemingly claiming that anyone who thinks Freeze should have been involved with the team at all instead of just recruiting must be a closeted bama fan.

Though I believe those few have discovered the ignore feature and are actively creating an echo chamber for themselves, so maybe not an issue anymore :lol: 

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Ok, I read it and I still don't see it.  

I see people who, like me, are saying that he tried something that was reasonable at the time and it didn't work out on the field (but did in recruiting) and it's right to fix that now.  

I see people saying the on field results weren't good but they're ok with it for this year because recruiting went so well.  

What I'm not seeing are people acting like it was a success and didn't need to be corrected.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

That's a bit different than what is upsetting to me. The firings I did not like, you explained the DC firing, and the OC firing... well if he's gonna be the OC now then it's whatever too.

The thing I still can't stand is coming out and saying he wasn't involved in game planning. You are the HC, a few short meetings where they run their strategies by you and you critiquing them should be the bare minimum. If not attending actual practices and seeing how planned plays and situational plays are gonna be done.

Taking a son to his first bowl game and it being a rout is one thing, it being a rout and then the HC basically saying he didn't give enough of a s*** about the game to even involve himself is another.

I've always been soft on coaches on this forum. with Gus till he admitted to being ok with being average. With Harsin till he went from a dude struggling to a dude actively trying to destroy the team.... and hell, I'm still not even saying fire Freeze... but my god, his comments about that bowl game sucked. Most things can be forgotten after the next game... but when it's the last game of the season it sticks with you awhile more.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Yeah I don’t fault him for prioritizing recruiting , but insiders were saying how great of an offensive mind that PM was (and no doubt he probably is) but clearly it was a major failure at Auburn. My issue is the constant throwing the OC under the bus , basically saying the gameplan was poor but it wasn’t me…:okay but you are the head coach, so it ultimately falls at your feet.  The thing that gets me is the hypocrisy I see around here when Harsin did it, it was a major fail. Anywho, I am rooting for freeze and glad he is getting back to his roots. Go back to calling plays man. If he makes it work with PT, he deserves all his flowers. 

Not discounting your sources but the prevailing view of the Montgomery hire was kind of a head scratch, certainly not as highly regarded as the Roberts hire, which on paper seemed good.

16 minutes ago, gman87 said:

Not discounting your sources but the prevailing view of the Montgomery hire was kind of a head scratch, certainly not as highly regarded as the Roberts hire, which on paper seemed good.

He wasn’t seemingly a good head coach (look at Tulsa) but was counted as a good offensive mind with fast pace offense 

On 1/9/2024 at 1:34 PM, fishepa said:

Was Freeze always calling the plays at OM and Liberty?

Not the bad ones. They’re a mystery.

• Haha 2