Hugh to take over play calling....

W.E.D

New terminology for the team to learn this offseason.  

I'll be interested to see how this works out considering the reason we didn't hire Nix last year was b/c he has to call plays or is due a multi million dollar buyout

Conspiracy Hat

Who leaked this information?

Auburn: Gets message to recruits or portal players that Hugh is gonna run s***, no need to worry about OC hire

Ole Miss: Starts the narrative that Hugh is gonna call plays because they know we want Nix and Nix has a stipulation that he needs to call plays to leave w/out penalty 🤔

Finally Hugh is getting back to what we hired him for. No more science projects. Go ahead and bring back Coach Craig 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

New terminology was expected since the offense would have to learn new terminology even if Hugh let a new OC call plays? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Can Nix call Danny’s plays? 

He never has been an OC or play caller

37 minutes ago, DAG said:

Go ahead and bring back Coach Craig 

Has that guy ever been a part of a major football program that wasn't overflowing with disfunction? 

6 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Has that guy ever been a part of a major football program that wasn't overflowing with disfunction? 

Typically works under unstable coaches but he is an ace recruiter which high is probably looking for 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Finally Hugh is getting back to what we hired him for. No more science projects. Go ahead and bring back Coach Craig 

Actually Auburn hired him to be a head coach, not an OC.

It should work out well though, I've read multiple times on this forum all the good plays this past year were Freeze, the bad ones were ones he didn't call, or sometimes... didn't even participate in game planning.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Actually Auburn hired him to be a head coach, not an OC.

It should work out well though, I've read multiple times on this forum all the good plays this past year were Freeze, the bad ones were ones he didn't call, or sometimes... didn't even participate in game planning.

Every where he went as an HC he was the primary play caller. It was his terminology.We certainly didn’t hire him to be a recruiting coordinator.  Surely you knew this though.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Every where he went as an HC he was the primary play caller. It was his terminology.We certainly didn’t hire him to be a recruiting coordinator.  Surely you knew this though.

Much rather have him serving in a play caller role if he can get the ace recruiters he trusts. Clearly, serving in two roles won’t work.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Now with that taken care of...

Whoever coordinates recruiting next season will be a bigger decision than the next OC

Do we even have a coach that is designated as a "recruiting coordinator"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Do we even have a coach that is designated as a "recruiting coordinator"

I don’t think there was an official title but CHF definitely filled that position.

During the season at least, he will need someone to do some more heavy lifting in recruiting.. 

The title doesn’t matter but the work will still need to be done..

11 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I don’t think there was an official title but CHF definitely filled that position.

During the season at least, he will need someone to do some more heavy lifting in recruiting.. 

The title doesn’t matter but the work will still need to be done..

Yeah, when you posted about who does it, it made me think if we even had anyone designated as such.  Maybe we don't need to with more off the field staff vs old times?  That's a lot for one coach to do in addition to on the field work.

Hugh needs to delegate to be successful.  He tried this year and failed on offense but succeeded off-the-field with the 2024 class and foundation fro '25.  Gotta find that right balance.  Hopefully we get that blend

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, when you posted about who does it, it made me think if we even had anyone designated as such.  Maybe we don't need to with more off the field staff vs old times?  That's a lot for one coach to do in addition to on the field work.

Hugh needs to delegate to be successful.  He tried this year and failed on offense but succeeded off-the-field with the 2024 class and foundation fro '25.  Gotta find that right balance.  Hopefully we get that blend

Spot on

My theory is that CFH really likes Auburn and believes it's a great opportunity. He knew that X's and O's alone would not get this program back on track so he delegated the offense to CPM and let him run the show in times where he had to recruit. CFH knows that recruiting is everything in CFB and you can't win this conference without a top 5 or 10 class. This worked at times and at other times it did not. He was one play away from winning the Iron Bowl and that would excuse pretty much all the short comings of 2023. He made a calculated bet that focusing on recruiting would help the program more long term than trying to win every game this year as wild as that sounds. We will find out but what we do know for sure is that the recruiting aspect is working and should continue to work. Auburn is a Ryan Williams away from a top 5 or fringe top 5 class with the 25 class shaping up to be very good.

In hindsight he should've hired a better OC but maybe his hands were tied? Who knows. I've gone back and forth but I'm actually ok with him delegated the gameplan for the Music City Bowl. Recruiting is more important than a bowl game of that caliber right now.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, woodford said:

My theory is that CFH really likes Auburn and believes it's a great opportunity. He knew that X's and O's alone would not get this program back on track so he delegated the offense to CPM and let him run the show in times where he had to recruit. CFH knows that recruiting is everything in CFB and you can't win this conference without a top 5 or 10 class. This worked at times and at other times it did not. He was one play away from winning the Iron Bowl and that would excuse pretty much all the short comings of 2023. He made a calculated bet that focusing on recruiting would help the program more long term than trying to win every game this year as wild as that sounds. We will find out but what we do know for sure is that the recruiting aspect is working and should continue to work. Auburn is a Ryan Williams away from a top 5 or fringe top 5 class with the 25 class shaping up to be very good.

In hindsight he should've hired a better OC but maybe his hands were tied? Who knows. I've gone back and forth but I'm actually ok with him delegated the gameplan for the Music City Bowl. Recruiting is more important than a bowl game of that caliber right now.

Agree, or at least don't strongly disagree with anything you got there ;)

Except that bolded part, we've had that said about multiple coaches in the past... but Freeze is the hand picked HC by the single biggest booster we got. Surely he didn't get the guy hired just to not let him do his thing.

This is the thing, and IMO many people to this day dont get it about the like-group of O minds that include Freeze, Malzahn, Clemson willy, etc that were wunderkinds a decade ago. Their shared O ideology is actually not new and quite simple. Heck Sam Wyche also ran the hunh & variations of the pro set during most of the 1981 super bowl. BUT there's a subjective part that needs the OC to know WHEN to hunh & not in that game plan Gus became painfully predictable (uh 1st down, gee will he run the hunh now?) Freeze is the most sophisticated IMHO of that gang and I wondered HOW he was going to delegate his O talent/feel to Montgomery. He couldnt. Welcome back to your talent stomping ground coach, it's one of the 2 reasons we hired you (recruiting too).

• Like 1

Was Freeze always calling the plays at OM and Liberty?

49 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Yes. 

1 hour ago, fishepa said:

40 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes. 

From the bits I found searching for it. Seems Freeze has called the offense plays his ENTIRE career. Until hired at Auburn. Was his first time ever not doing it.

What I could not find was anyone asking him why he chose 1st year at Auburn as the time to deviate from his career norm.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I understood that 2023 offense was a mesh of Freeze system and OC system so maybe not as many changes.