Coaches hit the road - Week of Jan 22, 2024

I know I sound like a grandpa, but the more experience you get i.e. the older you get, the more you realize how important it is just to simply show up each day.   So many people miss this simple concept.   A very valued ability is availability.   Be there every single day....

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I was fortunate say hello to Coach McGriff last Wednesday morning having breakfast in Marriott in NW Atlanta by Truist park. He stopped asked my name we shook hands after a “War Eagle”. Pretty cool way to start my morning.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

I know I sound like a grandpa, but the more experience you get i.e. the older you get, the more you realize how important it is just to simply show up each day.   So many people miss this simple concept.   A very valued ability is availability.   Be there every single day....

More people should sound like grandpas IMO

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Still putting in the work. Gotta love the effort our coaches are investing in recruiting.

Now if they can just translate the bumper crop of studs into a coherent team that can win games!

If I’m an AU assistant out recruiting in this state, there would be several extra peps in my steps the last 2 weeks.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, LPTiger said:

100% agree with this.

Never underestimate how important it is for a big time coach or coaching staff to visit your own high school.

I still remember to this day the time Pat Dye visited a game at my high school to recruit...

I also remember Dean Smith visiting a friend of mine after school one afternoon...

Those things stick with players and coaches 

18 hours ago, LPTiger said:

That’s how I was raised and how I raised my kid, and now teach my grandkids. The generations who are taught that everything should be owed to them, or given participation trophies are going to get a hard lesson in the real world.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

I hadn’t heard this young man’s name in the AU recruiting talk. Is this a Derrick Nix addition?

very possible I just missed it. 

So great to see this effort at reconnecting after Harsin couldn't be bothered

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 8:53 PM, LPTiger said:

Hopefully the bar is a little higher than just showing up each day 

On 1/23/2024 at 5:29 PM, aujohnson said:

I hadn’t heard this young man’s name in the AU recruiting talk. Is this a Derrick Nix addition?

very possible I just missed it. 

@aujohnson Not sure what you mean by Nix addition but Nix is high on him and that's why he's now on our board.

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@aujohnson Not sure what you mean by Nix addition but Nix is high on him and that's why he's now on our board.

Thanks. That’s what I meant,  relationship with Nix and someone he had been on. 👍🏼

Hugh is up here at Athens High School visiting today. Appears he’s making his way across the whole State. Nice to have him up here in North AL for a bit. 

• Like 4

On 1/29/2024 at 12:38 PM, NoALtiger said:

Hugh is up here at Athens High School visiting today. Appears he’s making his way across the whole State. Nice to have him up here in North AL for a bit. 

I live in Athens too. Small world 

• Like 1