Men vs Alabama Game Thread

46 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Disgree about pass  y running through Broome yes he scored a lot but if we had really run through him whole game he would have scored a lot more and we would have won easily.

Okay that’s fine, but Broome ate their dinner all evening at the block. They have bigs, too, that weren’t just gonna give him something every possession. Admittedly, I was not able to closely watch the whole game, so there were long stretches that I missed. When I was able to watch consistently, mainly the first 8 and last 8 minutes of the game, it looked like Broome was the focus.

Edited by tigeraddikt

2 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

If the refs had done their job that was an automatic ejection!

True but overall they did pretty good, better than expected. Nil has cut into their kickback 

3 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

From a neutral friend tuning in “You guys play 11? That’s hilarious!!”

Even with the rotations, we’re fine. No one wins those on the road.

I don't get the "play 11" dig. He obviously didn't watch the Rick Pitino UK teams of the 1990"s.

Just disappointed CBP didn’t put Card in to help Broome on the boards. Broome did decent on Sears a few times and there was no one to get the rebound. Some adjustments need to be Broome gonna be hard pressed by himself versus Tennessee and Kentucky. They have some trees

• Thanks 1

Just now, arktiger1975 said:

I don't get the "play 11" dig. He obviously didn't watch the Rick Pitino UK teams of the 1990"s.

It’s just not really done at the high major level anymore. Ultimately unless you have 10-11 equally good it means fewer minutes for your best players. In close games those minutes make a difference. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Wow...Dirty ass player. No wonder Broome was pissed off. Dude stomped on his hand. They need to turn that video into the league. 

But according to Jay Williams, that happens all the time on the playground, it’s just part of it.  Someone needs to remind him D1 basketball isn’t on the playground….there are rules for a reason.  Man, he drove me insane with his barking all night. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dunndone414 said:

It’s just not really done at the high major level anymore. Ultimately unless you have 10-11 equally good it means fewer minutes for your best players. In close games those minutes make a difference. 

It does build depth though. Probably one reason we have been a strong second half team.

57 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

We just beat them in two sports last week. But I get it. 

Must have missed one of them...women's basketball and what else?

48 minutes ago, e808 said:

I get Bruce wants to be a players coach but he has to use the timeouts to save the players from themselves. U come out the gate running ur offense. Then u decide to want to prove a point be running and gunning with Bama wrong answer

At this point he’s not going to do that, he’s just not. It’s super frustrating but that’s who he is apparently. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

But according to Jay Williams, that happens all the time on the playground, it’s just part of it.  Someone needs to remind him D1 basketball isn’t on the playground….there are rules for a reason.  Man, he drove me insane with his barking all night. 

He ought to know. His dookies wrote the book on dirty play. I still despise Grayson Allen. And who can forget the Laettner stomp?

10 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

It's hard to win on the road....#10 IL is about to go down to Northwestern. It happens.

How many top 10 teams lost this week?

10 minutes ago, e808 said:

Just disappointed CBP didn’t put Card in to help Broome on the boards. Broome did decent on Sears a few times and there was no one to get the rebound. Some adjustments need to be Broome gonna be hard pressed by himself versus Tennessee and Kentucky. They have some trees

Tennessee is the best team in the sec.

uat #2 when they play like tonight.

Auburn /Kentucky #3

everyone else is capable of beating the top #3 any nite. See South Carolina

1 minute ago, TigerOne said:

Tennessee is the best team in the sec.

uat #2 when they play like tonight.

Auburn /Kentucky #3

everyone else is capable of beating the top #3 any nite. See South Carolina

I still think we are better than uat. They barely beat us on their home court. I think we beat them by double digits at Neville.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

It's usually not done because you don't have 10 comparable players. If we were to play 8 guys for example, we'd just have a lesser talented roster AND those dudes would be more tired towards the end of the game.

As Jay Will said, these dudes were not prepared to run with Alabama in the first half. I can't say they were slow on the beat because they were tired or just because they were shell-shocked, but I have no reason to doubt that they were initially in worse shape than Bama. Bama plays at that pace 24/7. Their stars are conditioned to play 28+ minutes at that pace. I can't imagine it would've helped to shrink the rotation and just get these guys more fatigued. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

I still think we are better than uat. They barely beat us on their home court. I think we beat them by double digits at Neville.

Yeah that's a pretty sizable overreaction IMO. They have the better prepared team tonight, but we played like crap outside of Tre, Broome, maybe maybe Dylan, and they were damn near dead even. They were the first NCAA tournament caliber team we saw away from home in like 2 months. They've played all the best teams. And even with those advs/disadvs, they were almost dead equal. 

If bama played like they did tonight and auburn played like they did against say a&m at home, Auburn would be better (not by alot). That's a great Alabama performance and a solid-good Auburn performance, and I'd take Auburn

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It's usually not done because you don't have 10 comparable players. If we were to play 8 guys for example, we'd just have a lesser talented roster AND those dudes would be more tired towards the end of the game.

As Jay Will said, these dudes were not prepared to run with Alabama in the first half. I can't say they were slow on the beat because they were tired or just because they were shell-shocked, but I have no reason to doubt that they were initially in worse shape than Bama. Bama plays at that pace 24/7. Their stars are conditioned to play 28+ minutes at that pace. I can't imagine it would've helped to shrink the rotation and just get these guys more fatigued. 

Didn’t Auburn used to be known for pace?  Maybe I’m getting confused with Gus.  No Doubt

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah that's a pretty sizable overreaction IMO. They have the better prepared team tonight, but we played like crap outside of Tre, Broome, maybe maybe Dylan, and they were damn near dead even. They were the first NCAA tournament caliber team we saw away from home in like 2 months. They've played all the best teams. And even with those advs/disadvs, they were almost dead equal. 

If bama played like they did tonight and auburn played like they did against say a&m at home, Auburn would be better (not by alot). That's a great Alabama performance and a solid-good Auburn performance, and I'd take Auburn

I think if we played them 10 times on a neutral court, we would win 7 of the 10.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Didn’t Auburn used to be known for pace?  Maybe I’m getting confused with Gus.  No Doubt

lol, yeah they did. That was moreso the Jared Harper-Bryce core though. That has pretty much been the golden goose they've been chasing ever since 18-19 though. 

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/possessions-per-game Looking at just possessions (there's probably better pace stats out there), Bama is 54th at 74 and 134th at 72. Idk how much a couple possessions matter in the grand scheme, but I think ideologically speaking, they want to play even faster than that. Idk how we would LIKE to play, but we are at our best slowing it down and getting good passes out to Jaylin and Broome. And if they kick it out, they're kicking it to open dudes. 

8 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Yes but that changed somehow along the way. To me Auburn doesn’t trap as much in previous years

6 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

I think if we played them 10 times on a neutral court, we would win 7 of the 10.

That would be about right to me. By nature of their REAL advantage over us with the guards, and the fact that we may just not feed Broome the ball for extended stretches, I don't think I would feel comfortable about any of those 7, but I do think we can play much better than we did today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That would be about right to me. By nature of their REAL advantage over us with the guards, and the fact that we may just not feed Broome the ball for extended stretches, I don't think I would feel comfortable about any of those 7, but I do think we can play much better than we did today.

We have another tough one Saturday. MSU has been up and down, but beat UT at home. They are 2-4 in the conference, so they will be desperate. IMO, this is our toughest week of the season.

I really don't think we had the roster to play a breakneck type of speed for almost all of those post-2018 seasons up until now, except one year. The Cooper led team had the supernatural level talent of guard, a bunch of young dudes with freakish athleticism, and not a ton of shooting. That's basically what this team accomplishes. But that'd still only be two rosters that I would say Pearl felt comfortable running and gunning with in like 5-6 years of play. That's pretty nuts

Just now, arktiger1975 said:

We have another tough one Saturday. MSU has been up and down, but beat UT at home. They are 2-4 in the conference, so they will be desperate. IMO, this is our toughest week of the season.

That's the one you gotta win imo. Miss St almost beat Bama too, I think it was down to the last shot iirc. That win gets you up to 1-3 in Q1 games, and A&M is 9 spots out from being another Q1 win. So you're almost 2-3 in those type games. Not a terrible spot to be in. 

• Like 1