Jaylin Williams

Sure hope the young man doesn’t have significant damage to his knee, but Pearl’s post-game comments don’t paint a rosy picture for his return. MRI scheduled for tomorrow. It was 6 years ago to this day that Anfernee McLemore tore his leg up, which effectively ended our season’s momentum. We did end up closing out the regular season SEC title bc we had raced out to a decent lead by this time in the schedule, but losing Mac killed the flow and we get blown up by Collin Sexton in the SECT and Clemson in the NCAAT round of 32.

if JW is unable to return, I could see it having a similar effect this season as 6 years ago. Hope he’s okay.

Edited by tigeraddikt
  • Like 3

Sad going forward. He has been so important for our team in recent weeks. But also, for him personally. I know he is really concerned about not being able to play going forward.

I hope this is a minor issue.

17 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Great News.  Would have hated for this injury to end what has been an absolutely stellar career.  He is one of the best athletes (on and off the field) to ever wear an Auburn jersey regardless of the sport.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Auburn's Jaylin Williams expected to return this season after knee injury

In his absence, Auburn will likely turn to UAH transfer Chaney Johnson as the starter at the 4

Nathan King7 mins

Auburn has dodged a bullet with an injury to one of its best players.

Fifth-year senior forward Jaylin Williams sustained a knee injury in Auburn's loss to Kentucky, but an MRI on Sunday revealed Williams will not require surgery, and he could return before the end of the regular season. Auburn confirmed in a statement Sunday that Williams' injury is not season-ending.

With 10:40 left in Auburn’s 70-59 loss to the Wildcats, Williams drove baseline and was down holding his knee after missing a dunk. He had to be helped off into the locker room and did not return. 

“If Jaylin’s out, we’re going to have to figure some things out,” Pearl said postgame. “I think we have guys that will step up. But Jaylin Williams is — he and Johni Broome are our two best players. So if he’s out for a little while, it’s got to be next man up. That’s a significant loss.” 

Williams is Auburn’s second-leading scorer at 13.4 points per game. He is a career-best season in scoring, field-goal percentage and 3-point shooting. 

In his absence, Auburn will likely turn to UAH transfer Chaney Johnson as the starter at the 4. Johnson averages 3.8 points per game this season, playing 14.6 minutes.

Williams’ efficient play and veteran presence will certainly be missed. When he shoots less than 40 percent in a game, Auburn is 2-5 this season. The Tigers are 18-1 otherwise.

“When Jaylin Williams has played well, we’ve won,” Pearl said. “And he’s only really not played well in about four or five games. Those happen to be the games we lost. The math’s kind of scary.”

Auburn has five regular-season games remaining and is off this week, returning to the court Saturday at Georgia.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This could be a blessing if we figure out how to win without Jaylin.  As mentioned above we relied on him being good too much.  Could be beneficial in tourney to overcome a jaylin Williams poor shooting night. 

• Like 1

We needed good news after yesterday! Perhaps like many of you I was reminded of devastating injuries to McLemore & Chuma in years past & was thinking "not again!!" So glad it's "not again."

Edited by TigerTennis80
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Relieved for JW especially re the NBA draft.  CJ having opportunities to step up, he should take advantage and to contribute more during the post season.

Seeing him unable to put weight on it made me turn the game off. Hopefully he will be a bit more circumspect now with those windmill dunks.

On 2/18/2024 at 9:13 AM, PigskinPat said:

Praise THE LORD! Best news I've seen in a while. He's having the best season of his career and would have hate to see him out go like that. Let him rest up and get back in before SEC tournament play.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Glad to hear Jaylin is going to be ok and make it back this season. 

Edited by gravejd
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 12:11 PM, TigerTennis80 said:

I was reminded of devastating injuries to Chuma in years past & was thinking "not again!!"

Chuma was exactly who I was reminded of due to him owning North Carolina in the Sweet 16. I thought then our run was over.

On 2/18/2024 at 3:46 PM, bdc81 said:

Relieved for JW especially re the NBA draft.  CJ having opportunities to step up, he should take advantage and to contribute more during the post season.

NBA Draft???

13 minutes ago, NCAubs said:

He’s projected by some as a second round pick.  

I love Jaylin.  He's a good kid and college player.  But his physical makeup and skills don't translate very well to today's NBA.

I just hope he can come back and finish his last season of college ball strong.

22 hours ago, WillMunny said:

I love Jaylin.  He's a good kid and college player.  But his physical makeup and skills don't translate very well to today's NBA.

I just hope he can come back and finish his last season of college ball strong.

Not arguing that.  He may or may not stick in the NBA.  I never expected Marquis Daniel to have the career he did.  And yet, he’s back and his kids are helping Chris Brandt and the girls at Auburn High get close to a state championship. 

58% FG percentage and 41% 3-point percentage at the 3/4 spot will get JW a real shot at an NBA roster, and a decent chance to be drafted.

• Like 1