ESPN Computer's Top 25 end of Regular Season

It baffles me how we cannot be projected at least as a current 3 seed since we will likely be ranked in the top 12 of the human polls tomorrow, plus top 6 in KenPom and NET. Yet they say we are a #4 seed? That's BS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arktiger1975 said:

It baffles me how we cannot be projected at least as a current 3 seed since we will likely be ranked in the top 12 of the human polls tomorrow, plus top 6 in KenPom and NET. Yet they say we are a #4 seed? That's BS.

ESPN analyst said we are one of the most “over valued teams” in the tournament, and that’s even with us a projected 4 seed

We've discussed the seeding thing forever .We made the show. It's win and advance. I'd like to win the SEC tournament, and we got a good draw there. But everyone is good from here on out. I love this time of year. Especially when my team is relevant. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, wareaglefan444 said:

ESPN analyst said we are one of the most “over valued teams” in the tournament, and that’s even with us a projected 4 seed

So they put teams like bammer and Kansas over us? Does any rational person think that those teams are better than we are right now. Hope our players and coaches are embracing the hate. I think they are, from what I have heard.

Edited by arktiger1975

47 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

So they put teams like bammer and Kansas over us? Does any rational person think that those teams are better than we are right now.

Um, well, on a road/neutral floor, yes. But of course, I'm hoping Auburn can actually beat teams like Bama and Kansas on a road/neutral floor.

I think the SEC Championship games will tell us a lot about how well Auburn can play against tourney teams away from Neville Arena.

I'm hopin' Auburn be smokin' !!!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

Polls are what have you done for me lately.

Committee seedings are total bodies of work.

2 hours ago, AURex said:

Um, well, on a road/neutral floor, yes. But of course, I'm hoping Auburn can actually beat teams like Bama and Kansas on a road/neutral floor.

The one team on that list we played at a neutral site, we lost to.

The only team on that list we beat was at home.

Against all the teams on that list combined, we went 1-4. We deserve a 4-seed.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

The point differential thing is what holds us up in such high regard in these metric based polls. We beat mediocre/bad teams by a lot and did not have many good wins. 

While this may be the worst Kansas team in quite some time, they play in a conference with nine projected tourney teams and played Illinois, UK, Marquette, Tennessee, and UConn. So they basically played the two best teams we did (all year)...before even playing in the hardest conference.

I don't exactly wish Kansas success, but that schedule is a pretty big reason why someone would value them more than they would us. (The OOC thing can also apply to why Bama would have a perceived adv over Auburn) 

If we had just handled business against Bama and UF on the road, I think we’d be a lock for a 3 seed and maybe a 2 if we handled business in the SEC Tournament.

We've gotta prove we can win against good teams away from home.

I think a 4 seed for us is fair. Watch out if we get hot. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

If we had just handled business against Bama and UF on the road, I think we’d be a lock for a 3 seed and maybe a 2 if we handled business in the SEC Tournament.

We've gotta prove we can win against good teams away from home.

I think a 4 seed for us is fair. Watch out if we get hot. 

The forgotten loss at Appalachian State is also a factor. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The point differential thing is what holds us up in such high regard in these metric based polls. We beat mediocre/bad teams by a lot and did not have many good wins. 

While this may be the worst Kansas team in quite some time, they play in a conference with nine projected tourney teams and played Illinois, UK, Marquette, Tennessee, and UConn. So they basically played the two best teams we did (all year)...before even playing in the hardest conference.

I don't exactly wish Kansas success, but that schedule is a pretty big reason why someone would value them more than they would us. (The OOC thing can also apply to why Bama would have a perceived adv over Auburn) 

Kansas' two best players are injured as well, so they are a shell of what they were early. It will be interested to see if they are given the same treatment FSU football was come selection Sunday, or whether there will be the usual selection committee hypocrisy.

Edited by arktiger1975
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, wareaglefan444 said:

I also find it amusing that Jay Williams would call us "over valued "when his beloved Dookies might very well be the most overrated team in the nation right now. 

1 hour ago, arktiger1975 said:

Kansas' two best players are injured as well, so they are a shell of what they were early. It will be interested to see if they are given the same treatment FSU football was come selection Sunday, or whether their will be the usual selection committee hypocrisy.

Well, the CFP has an outsized interest in protecting the SEC, so I dunno if that was hypocrisy as much as it was…..business 

If we had that committee in this sport, Auburn would probably benefit from it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Wow. Definitely forgotten. That seems like an eternity ago. 

• Like 1

On 3/10/2024 at 9:08 PM, AURex said:

I think the SEC Championship games will tell us a lot about how well Auburn can play against tourney teams away from Neville Arena.

I'm hopin' Auburn be smokin' !!!!

Late to the thread. Auburn can beat any team any where. Looks to me to playing their best ball. Just Do It!(pun intended) War Eagle!

On 3/10/2024 at 8:15 PM, arktiger1975 said:

So they put teams like bammer and Kansas over us? Does any rational person think that those teams are better than we are right now. Hope our players and coaches are embracing the hate. I think they are, from what I have heard.

Yeah computer algorithms value playing well against top teams (even losing the games like Bama vs Purdue and Arizona ) over most of what AU has accomplished this year. We have been a Mark Sears away from being a 2-seed this year imo. Although not technically Q1 wins, I view the dismantling of Arky at Fayetteville, the Ole Miss Pavilion comeback, and the home MSU thrashing to be Quad-1-esque wins; they just didn’t fall on the right side of the cutoff line. Arky has come on strong as of late, and to make them quit on their home floor the first game of the conference slate was something else.

8 hours ago, sandyclawedtiger said:

Late to the thread. Auburn can beat any team any where. Looks to me to playing their best ball. Just Do It!(pun intended) War Eagle!

I agree 100%. The skeptic in me says it’s about a 15% chance our guards rise up and give the team in the postseason what it has needed all year long: scoring. But it is possible to catch fire if DJ keeps up his recent tear, and AH somehow wakes up with his stroke.

• WarTiger changed the title to ESPN Computer's Top 25 end of Regular Season
2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Yeah computer algorithms value playing well against top teams (even losing the games like Bama vs Purdue and Arizona ) over most of what AU has accomplished this year. We have been a Mark Sears away from being a 2-seed this year imo. Although not technically Q1 wins, I view the dismantling of Arky at Fayetteville, the Ole Miss Pavilion comeback, and the home MSU thrashing to be Quad-1-esque wins; they just didn’t fall on the right side of the cutoff line. Arky has come on strong as of late, and to make them quit on their home floor the first game of the conference slate was something else.

A team with 10 plus losses should NOT be better than a #4 seed. Period. I don't care who you've lost to- the most important thing is actually winning games. If winning didn't matter, you could just go schedule 6-8 non conference teams you know will be in the top 15 or so, and not care about the outcomes at all. Which is basically what bama did.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

We have been a Mark Sears away from being a 2-seed this year imo.

I think AU would have at most 2 losses with Sears on the team.  Maybe the KY game and one other game just because it's really hard to go undefeated.  Just think about Sears alongside Broome, Williams, CBM plus Bruce's bench.  That would be a freaking buzz saw.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, keeperoftheplains said:

I think AU would have at most 2 losses with Sears on the team.  Maybe the KY game and one other game just because it's really hard to go undefeated.  Just think about Sears alongside Broome, Williams, CBM plus Bruce's bench.  That would be a freaking buzz saw.

If wishes and butts.....

On 3/11/2024 at 8:46 AM, Viper said:

But do you think an away loss is detrimental to Auburn's NCAA positioning?

image.png.ff544d99d57926a6da55f82db17a2c94.png

3 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

I don't think the loss to App State necessarily hurt us much. But it was a chance to get another one of those so-called Quad 1 wins. Quad system is stupid, by the way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, keeperoftheplains said:

What if they had Knecht, Sears, Larry Bird, Dr. J and Kareem? Think we would be undefeated?   

On 3/14/2024 at 7:52 PM, SumterAubie said:

To a mid-major in the Sub Belt, absolutely.