Bruce recaps the season and looks ahead

• Like 1

man i love bruce so much after the first five minutes...................

wow bruce telling it like it is. here comes the hate....................

for those of you not listening he told you haters to kiss his ass. HIS words...............

• Like 4

Pretty sad when the greatest HC in a schools history has to call out his own fanbase for nonstop whining after a great season that ended in dissapointment.  Going to be a rude awakening for some folks when Bruce is gone.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It was a great season. Also really a shame it won’t be remembered as one because of one loss. Even one as unexpected and uncalled for as the Yale loss. But that is life when expectations are high like they were for Auburn at the end of the season. Hope everyone cools down and fans and team alike can pick themselves up from it. 

50 minutes ago, gravejd said:

It was a great season. Also really a shame it won’t be remembered as one because of one loss. Even one as unexpected and uncalled for as the Yale loss. But that is life when expectations are high like they were for Auburn at the end of the season. Hope everyone cools down and fans and team alike can pick themselves up from it. 

If people won’t “ remember” one of the few SEC Tournament Championships in school history…..that’s on them. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

This was arguably his best team. We just fell flat at a few key times this season, most notably against Yale. Every team has off games. You just have to hope they don’t happen at key times. Unfortunately for us, they did. People griping about this season need to get a life. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1

Sucks watching SDSU get blown out by UConn. I think we at least give them a better game than that, even if we didn't win! 

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

for those of you not listening he told you haters to kiss his ass. HIS words...............

Glad he did it. Didn’t make any sense that people dismissed Steven Pearl for saying what was obviously correct. You are obviously wrong if you’re going out your way to directly harass a dude over a basketball game. Doesn’t matter if he played for Auburn, Alabama, or whoever (makes it worse that it was Auburn fans though). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Once players started  getting paid the entire landscape of college sports changed. Unfortunately u gonna have people voice their displeasure . Especially if u donating big money.  The bottom line  Auburn should have won that game regardless IMO

Edited by e808
  • Like 4

I like cbp ALOT.  Sp has grown on me.  
No one should ever go after a player … ever.  If you wanna banter about disappointment on a message board like this, so be it.  But the fans absolutely have a voice and should not be told to shut up.  It’s also reasonable to expect fans not to be asshats, but it’s also reasonable to critique the awful loss to Yale while also praising the championship while also applauding the season and the success of the players while also questioning the continued technical fouls while also praising the fearlessness and tenacity of the players.  All of this can live in the same space while also expecting not to be belittled by the coach (now go back and see my first sentence)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, e808 said:

Once players started  getting paid the entire landscape of college sports change. Unfortunately u gonna have people voice their displeasure . Especially if u donating big money.  The bottom line  Auburn should have won that game regardless IMO

So Alabama fans telling their kicker to do some terrible things (I think we all know what they were telling him to do, but I'll keep it G-rated) before the NIL era, that's the worst thing ever, but Auburn fans harassing Chad because he gets paid some amount that none of them are aware of, that's just an unfortunate moment? 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

So Alabama fans telling their kicker to do some terrible things (I think we all know what they were telling him to do, but I'll keep it G-rated) before the NIL era, that's the worst thing ever, but Auburn fans harassing Chad because he gets paid some amount that none of them are aware of, that's just an unfortunate moment? 

Fans, especially intense fans, have a tendency to overreact and try to find someone to blame. The reality is always that there’s more to it than one person. It is almost never one player, one coach, one QB, one anything when we lose a game in any sport. But fans want a single source to be frustrated at. With the ejection, CBM was an easy target for people frustrated with the loss. Not condoning it. I was pretty aggressively defending CBM after the game, and folks that do this annoy the heck out of me. But all fan bases do this. I wish Auburn fans would do better. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This ejection debate is just a red herring.

• Like 3

Think Bruce is overly frustrated and angry as well. He knows the opportunity  was lost due to Auburn mistakes. And now he gets to be a guest analyst on TBS/espn and praise teams that Auburn should be with.

And now have to start all over and try and do it again.

Basketball was the only sport AU could feel good about, but now we are seeing our rivals pass us.

Edited by TigerOne
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Interested to see if he learned anything this year about his back court and what he will do about it.

Given the recent track record I doubt it.  We're a consistently above-average regular season team with one really special postseason run that's looking more and more like an outlier as it gets further in the rearview.  What he's done for the program is immeasurable but I'm starting to get latter year Malzahn vibes at this point.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Not a good look IMO...

• Like 4

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

Not a good look IMO...

Especially when he could have taken more overt steps to correct CBM's behavior during the season when something could be done about it. CBM may have committed the infraction and feels guilty, but the fault really lies with Bruce.

• Like 2

Bruce comes across a bit like a parent of a spoiled child who's antics finally got him in trouble. Now he's mad at everyone for being upset, but not taking the time to realize it was HIS responsibility to shape behavior on the court. And there were plenty of warning signs when it came to CBM's behavior prior to the Yale game.

Instead Bruce seems more interested in making excuses for CBM, much like a parent might for their spoiled child. The refs shouldn't have called it a flagrant 2, it was retaliatory, he feels really sorry, etc. While the accountability is mentioned, but more as some added caveat instead of the main point.

Edited by KansasTiger
  • Like 1

That Yale game was just a perfect storm for the L. I forgot the kids name but he went off for like 28 points against us…when the next game he went for 9. Played the game of his life against us. 

Like some have said, we can both love Bruce and be frustrated with him at the same time.

I love the 4 SEC championships we've won since he arrived, plus the Final 4.

But our NCAA triumphs in that time period are less than Alabama's, now that they have made their 3rd Sweet 16 in the past five years, and the Elite 8 this year.  And I think they will handle Clemson and make the Final 4.  And if they get on a hot streak from there...

And BTW, Nate Oats is 6-3 against Bruce.

Bruce shouldn't be telling any AU fan to kiss anything, and Steven shouldn't be telling AU fans to quit listening unless they act like Steven wants them to.  All fan bases have fans that act like idiots, and social media is a microscope that makes it seem much worse than it is.  Many of us were disappointed and upset, and had a right to be, but just a relative few posted hate on social media.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Bruce comes across a bit like a parent of a spoiled child who's antics finally got him in trouble. Now he's mad at everyone for being upset, but not taking the time to realize it was HIS responsibility to shape behavior on the court. And there were plenty of warning signs when it came to CBM's behavior prior to the Yale game.

Instead Bruce seems more interested in making excuses for CBM, much like a parent might for their spoiled child. The refs shouldn't have called it a flagrant 2, it was retaliatory, he feels really sorry, etc. While the accountability is mentioned, but more as some added caveat instead of the main point.

I trust Bruce. He is recruiting. Your kind of talk will make him retire early.

• Haha 3