Auburn Mediocrity

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Nebraska hasn’t gone to a bowl game in like 6 or 7 years we’re nothing like Nebraska poor example 

I’m talking about when they fired Solich thinking he was dragging them down to mediocrity and that they could do better. Surprise surprise it took six weeks for anyone to take the job and it wasn’t anyone good. They would give an arm for Solich’s results now. To a lesser extent Pelini. And yeah I know they’re not exactly in fertile recruiting grounds. Guess what, they also weren’t/aren’t up against the two best programs in the country. Different sport but the fact that a lot of people are melting down after a CONFERENCE TOURNEY TITLE because of what our arch rival is doing says it all.

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Meddling donors. Both schools have mega donors who insist  on having it their way and hiring culture guys who fit into the Auburn culture so much, they get comfortable and complacent, and just slide right into the good ole boy network. 

Yeah, but the better question is WHY our donors are so unique in this regard (if they even are, which I’m HIGHLY skeptical of).

Edited by AUwent

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Nebraska hasn’t gone to a bowl game in like 6 or 7 years we’re nothing like Nebraska poor example 

It's true we're nothing like Nebraska, in the last 7 years we have a 1-5 bowl record.  We are happy we are going to bowl games, it's just sad we aren't winning them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, AURex said:

Personally, I'm just tired of Auburn mediocrity. 

Is it really Auburn mediocrity, or is it just Auburn? 

Historically Auburn is middle of the pack, it's kinda always been that way. :dunno:

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Historically Auburn is middle of the pack, it's kinda always been that way. :dunno:

Unfortunately, I have to agree. Even the good football years were more of a one and done and not sustained year over year. Only BP has brought consistency to AU since Dye was running the show. Tubby had some very good years, but they weren’t a run of them, they were usually separated by a mediocre or poor year. We will see about HF this year. He blamed everyone but himself last year and per him, now has the O staff he wanted. I wish for the best, but it’s very difficult to accept it, especially with OK and TX coming in. The new eventual super conference, when formed in the next year or two, will definitely place AU in the middle at best. That’s just where AU is now. Sucks, but until consistency begins, how does one argue with it? I’m afraid AU is going to be begging and loving 8 win seasons, in the future, but it’s been quite some time since we have even seen that, which in this day and age is mediocre. We have been below mediocre for the last 4 years, so getting back there would be nice. 

3 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Meddling donors. Both schools have mega donors who insist  on having it their way and hiring culture guys who fit into the Auburn culture so much, they get comfortable and complacent, and just slide right into the good ole boy network. 

Harsin hiring doesn't fit your narrative.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ausburn2 said:

Harsin hiring doesn't fit your narrative.

That was a bad fit all together. That guy was an in over his head a**hole and that was a bad ad picking a guy who he wife swapped with in a Mexican hot tub one time.

• Haha 1

We suck. Don’t know why anyone follows anything we do anymore. 

Men’s Golf #1/2 most of the year

Equestrian NCEAA (it’s a Div. 1 sport)

Baseball (2 trips to Omaha in recent history)

Softball has fallen off (not the fault of current admin)

Football is underwhelming (but I believe it’s going to come around)

Swimming and Diving is getting better (not sure it will ever be Marsh territory again)

Mens Basketball has never seen the era we’re in now

Womens Basketball is coming around

We suck. 

Edited by autigeremt
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Going to 2 out of the last 4 CWS = nuthin?   What exactly would amount to sumthin?

But what are we in baseball this year? LAST in Sec. Women’s BBall went 8-8 50% which is an improvement. Gymnastics has gotten better. 

Edited by Tigger1985

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

We suck. Don’t know why anyone follows anything we do anymore. 

Men’s Golf #1/2 most of the year

Equestrian NCEAA (it’s a Div. 1 sport)

Baseball (2 trips to Omaha in recent history)

Softball has fallen off (not the fault of current admin)

Football is underwhelming (but I believe it’s going to come around)

Swimming and Diving is getting better (not sure it will ever be Marsh territory again)

Mens Basketball has never seen the era we’re in now

Womens Basketball is coming around

We suck. 

At the moment we do.

uat in the final four and will probably win the whole thing. Auburn had a head start and is now sliding back.

womens basketball, nothing really, trying to rebuild.

Softball looking for a new coach so start over.

Auburn has been irrelevant in football for nearly a decade. Meanwhile uat, Georgia, Tennessee, and get ready for Oklahoma And Texas all are improving rapidly.

baseball, last place in the sec.

but it’s ok Auburn has learned mediocrity isn’t so bad.

7 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

As a mega donor, I reject your premise. 🤪

• Haha 1

It comes down to football. Basketball is better than it’s ever been, even if we are still pissed about the last game. Most people don’t care much about the other sports. 

Football has been bad for several seasons and it’s difficult to tolerate with the amount of fan support. Freeze seems to think he will get another pass for the upcoming season but he needs to start winning games. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cbo said:

It comes down to football. Basketball is better than it’s ever been, even if we are still pissed about the last game. Most people don’t care much about the other sports. 

Football has been bad for several seasons and it’s difficult to tolerate with the amount of fan support. Freeze seems to think he will get another pass for the upcoming season but he needs to start winning games. 

He gets no pass and if he thinks so start looking for a coach not a con artist. 
Freeze has done nothing for the Auburn family to get excited or hopeful about. It can change quickly of course but right now he’s sloppy, confused, unsure and oblivious to what’s going on around him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

At the moment we do.

uat in the final four and will probably win the whole thing. Auburn had a head start and is now sliding back.

womens basketball, nothing really, trying to rebuild.

Softball looking for a new coach so start over.

Auburn has been irrelevant in football for nearly a decade. Meanwhile uat, Georgia, Tennessee, and get ready for Oklahoma And Texas all are improving rapidly.

baseball, last place in the sec.

but it’s ok Auburn has learned mediocrity isn’t so bad.

Well give up then. No one is holding you hostage here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Freeze has done nothing for the Auburn family to get excited or hopeful about. It can change quickly of course but right now he’s sloppy, confused, unsure and oblivious to what’s going on around him.

You might be your own worst nightmare. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

I thought I disliked Freeze until you came around haha 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Correct. Historically, we’re an 8-4 school. Good enough for a lot of people. And that is sad. As an example, Tuberville was here 10 years. His record….  84-40. Shug here 25 years … 176-83-6 . Dye..99-39-3 in 12 years. All about 8-4 on average

• Like 3

Just now, autigeremt said:

The question is why has Auburn excepted being mediocre for so long. Oh we keep trying but when it doesn’t work it’s oh well maybe next year. Think it’s going to get any easier?

Coaches know they can fail and get rich. If Freeze lays an egg this year he should get ass chewed and one more year. These contracts should have penalty clauses if coaches don’t produce results.

8 minutes ago, cbo said:

I thought I disliked Freeze until you came around haha 

I don’t dislike him, want him to be great but up to this point he has failed Auburn. His clock starts tomorrow on getting Auburn to greatness, and has a short time to do it. Aren’t we tired of being irrelevant?

Edited by TigerOne
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Typical response for fans that are ok with Auburn as it is.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

The question is why has Auburn excepted being mediocre for so long. Oh we keep trying but when it doesn’t work it’s oh well maybe next year. Think it’s going to get any easier?

Coaches know they can fail and get rich. If Freeze lays an egg this year he should get ass chewed and one more year. These contracts should have penalty clauses if coaches don’t produce results.

Accepted? Auburn hasn’t accepted anything. You totally dismiss the opponents and the current state. If you are unhappy….find something that gives you joy. You’re not going to step on a field, court or pitch. We’re “fans”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TigerOne said:

I don’t dislike him, want him to be great but up to this point he has failed Auburn. His clock starts tomorrow on getting Auburn to greatness, and has a short time to do it. Aren’t we tired of being irrelevant?

With the roster inherited year one was going to be pretty rough, regardless of the coach. The quantifiable goal was to get to a bowl and sign a top 10 recruiting class and we did that. I *feel* like he understands that improvement will be needed in year 2. (Edit: I feel like if he truly were feeling he’s getting a free pass this year, he wouldn’t be starting so many seniors.)

I can’t tell you how many successful coaches whose head you would’ve been calling for (Sark) after their first years.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

A lot of these feelings probably have to do with what’s happening across the state

Football - playoffs every year.  Couple nattys

Bball - 3 sweet sixteens and now a final 4 in the last 5 years

Softball - Bama’s usually pretty good

#13 Baseball team as of 4/6/24

I don’t keep up with their other sports but they have one of the best PGA golfers right now.  I think the kid who won the tourney as an amateur is a Bammer.  

Shouldn’t compare ourselves to Bama but what else do we have to do?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

A lot of these feelings probably have to do with what’s happening across the state

Football - playoffs every year.  Couple nattys

Bball - 3 sweet sixteens and now a final 4 in the last 5 years

Softball - Bama’s usually pretty good

#13 Baseball team as of 4/6/24

I don’t keep up with their other sports but they have one of the best PGA golfers right now.  I think the kid who won the tourney as an amateur is a Bammer.  

Shouldn’t compare ourselves to Bama but what else do we have to do?

Yeah, and good coaches are going to be chomping at the bit to take a job where they’ll be compared to that 24/7 LOL (not aimed at you, but those who think we could easily land some elite hire if only the boosters would allow it).

Edited by AUwent

Golf and swimming…

What about horseshoes?

18 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Guarantee if Auburn football makes the playoff in 2024 (not even a natty), most of the fire and torches brigade will be happy and not go back to micro-analyzing every sport

Well yes because that would mean it was a successful season, isn’t that part of the point? 

• Like 1