Cam speaks out on $180k accusations, Mullen, etc

3 hours ago, steve99 said:

this was a good interview.  That being said he got some facts wrong, he said it was around the South Carolina game the story broke.  It was before the Georgia game.  He said he had to play the LSU game etc. with this hanging over him.  Unless Maybe Chizik heard it was coming and it was kept quiet for 4-5 weeks?   Also he indicated he was ineligible for a game and missed a game, I know we declared him ineligible before the Georgia game and I think the NCAA made him eligible immediately due to the fact it was his dad that took the money.    I don't think he missed a game though.

More curious if I am remembering the events correctly or not?

The NCAA ended a 13 month investigation in October of 2010 into recruiting allegatons so it is possible Cam knew about the investigation when we played SC in September.  I remember that I first heard about it after the Ole Miss game by a Kentucky fan of all people.  They (the college football world) wanted it to devastate our season in the worst way.

Auburn released documents related to the NCAA's investigation into the recruiting allegations surrounding Newton, the Heisman Trophy winner and No. 1 NFL draft pick, on Friday in response to an open records request by The Associated Press.

The documents indicate Newton's father, Cecil Newton, and ex-Mississippi State player Kenny Rogers sought from $120,000 to $180,000 for the quarterback to sign with the Bulldogs out of junior college but didn't ask any other school for money.

The NCAA informed Auburn in October that it found no major violations in its investigation of Newton's recruitment or other unrelated pay-for-play allegations and was ending a 13-month probe.

The NCAA's Academic and Membership Affairs staff declared Newton ineligible on Nov. 30, 2010, after determining Rogers acted as Newton's athletic scholarship agent, violating Bylaw 12.3.3.

He was reinstated the next day, the Wednesday before the SEC championship game. Auburn successfully argued that Newton never had a verbal or written agreement with Rogers or Cecil Newton to act as his agent, wasn't aware of the pay-for-play scheme and received no benefit from Rogers. Nor did Newton hire or compensate Rogers to serve as an agent or athletics scholarship agent, Auburn argued.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/7190987/auburn-tigers-records-reveal-details-cam-newton-scandal

The article was from ESPN (no fan of Auburn) dated Nov. 4th 2011.

That time between the Ole Miss game and the SEC Championsip game was some high anxiety for us Auburn fans.  It took great leadership to get through it.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

He’s definitely allowed to tell his story. But I don’t understand the value in telling the world, you didn’t even want to go to Auburn. Seems like the kind of thing that could be omitted in the story. 

He never said anything remotely like he didn’t want to go to Auburn. He didn’t draw the school out of a Bingo bowl. Being a finalist and him actually going show that OF COURSE he wanted to go to Auburn. This detail also isn’t new. He’s said before that it was neck and neck and he asked his Dad to pick - but I think it’s clear Cecil just reinforced what Cam really wanted and would be the right decision.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

He never said anything remotely like he didn’t want to go to Auburn. He didn’t draw the school out of a Bingo bowl. Being a finalist and him actually going show that OF COURSE he wanted to go to Auburn. This detail also isn’t new. He’s said before that it was neck and neck and he asked his Dad to pick - but I think it’s clear Cecil just reinforced what Cam really wanted and would be the right decision.

I don’t think Cam’s enthusiasm for Auburn was there until he realized Auburn had his back during all the NCAA/FBI investigations.  JMO.

I always thought that Cam looked somewhat underwhelmed after the BCS championship game.  I thought it was because his was injured in the game.  In light of the information in this interview, it appears that he was just glad that it was over.  More relief than elation.

8 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

He’s definitely allowed to tell his story. But I don’t understand the value in telling the world, you didn’t even want to go to Auburn. Seems like the kind of thing that could be omitted in the story. 

He said he wanted the best path toward a BCS appearance and Auburn had a heavy senior team. I didnt take it as he didn’t want to go 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think you’re reading too deeply between the lines. Per interviews in the past, Auburn was always his first choice. He chose to go to Florida at first because we seemed to be more interested in Kodi Burns. I’m sure that was a factor when he was looking to come back to D1. He was just stating that the deciding factor was the number of seniors. 

Edited by ScotsAU

I made and posted this pic on another forum back in 2010.

Cam's new interview has shocked no one inside the AU family...

Operation-CAMcrime.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

He said his recruitment out of juco was different, he was more mature and he was focused on going to the NFL. He said Oklahoma and Kansas St he felt would try to make him play to fit their system instead of them using his gifts.

That last miss st and us. He said it was hard because within himself he was feeling us but he had that relationship and familiarity with Mullen being he was his offensive coordinator. He also said one of the big things that drew him to Auburn was we had 22 seniors. And he said miss st wouldn't be able to pull in the type of recruits we would. It was a very smart thing to look at, he was right.

He said his dad gave him his opinion and his dad told him he has to be a man and tell Mullen. Auburn fans should love this ..... I'm telling you no matter how much you do, you will never please everybody which once again recruits should never feel like they owe a school anything, they should focus on the best outcomes for themselves because nobody else will. This is a perfect example to look at. Look at how Mullen turned on him out of spite. Look at how hard Urban made it for him, even though he didn't even have plans on playing Cam. Look at how opposing fans treated him. Look at how the NCAA didn't give a damn about him or his family even with something as little as letting his dad attend a ceremony. EVERYBODY made money off of him but he went thru hell because they thought he may have made a little money for himself.

Yes. And it was no secret to anyone with 3 brain cells. My niece was in school at the time and said he rode a freaking scooter to class when he couldn't get a ride. The NCAA camped out forever to find something to get us with. One of my best buds said that no school could handle that. He's a bammer. He actually told a gump bammer that for AU to pay Cam big money, and get away with it, they (AU) would have to be better at "that" than uat. I laughed. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 7:38 AM, AuCivilEng1 said:

I didn't hear that at all... I heard he made a logical non emotional decision that happened to agree with what his father thought too...

1 hour ago, AUGnome said:

I didn't hear that at all... I heard he made a logical non emotional decision that happened to agree with what his father thought too...

Yea I walked back my original comment. I don’t think it sounds as bad when you hear all the surrounding context. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 3:59 PM, keeperoftheplains said:

I always thought that Cam looked somewhat underwhelmed after the BCS championship game.  I thought it was because his was injured in the game.  In light of the information in this interview, it appears that he was just glad that it was over.  More relief than elation.

A little of both. Plus he badly wanted to score the game-winner the play prior to Byrum’s kick. He tried bulling ahead, but the play-call was a kneel-down, thus the OL didn’t block. I was elated Byrum made the kick, but in retro, wish Dyer or Cam would have won it. I believe Cam would have won it had the play-call been a QB sneak. 

• Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 12:46 PM, I_M4_AU said:

I don’t think Cam’s enthusiasm for Auburn was there until he realized Auburn had his back during all the NCAA/FBI investigations.  JMO.

He was pretty enthused after Clemson missed the FG in OT.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 6:17 PM, ScotsAU said:

He chose to go to Florida at first because we seemed to be more interested in Kodi Burns. I’m sure that was a factor when he was looking to come back to D1.

IIRC, Cam winning the job at the conclusion of Spring practice was the only time in the Gus years that a new QB was announced at the conclusion of spring practice. The others were announced in August.

Def a foregone conclusion it was Cam’s job to lose on 12/31/2009.