Transfers Out Improves Win Total

Posted (edited)

The reason why Auburn will have to wait till 2025 to see results is because we still have another group to transfer OUT. It is not just recruiting in but also getting rid of the bad talent. 

I know we had some stinker ball games last year, but look at the players who took up space and could not play the game at a high level. They were the reason for 6 losses.

The only quality team listed below is LSU. USC and South Carolina would be next tier. Our talent is about on par with those teams. Everyone else is low tier. 

It is a churning process. 

WHERE AUBURN TRANSFERS LANDED

• QB Robby Ashford: South Carolina

• WR Malcolm Johnson Jr.: Bowling Green

• WR Omari Kelly: Middle Tennessee State

• WR Jyaire Shorter: Memphis

• TE Tyler Fromm: Georgia Southern

• DT Enyce Sledge: Illinois

• DT Stephen Johnson: McNeese State

• DB Donovan Kaufman: NC State

• DB Austin Ausberry: LSU

• EDGE Brenton Williams: Liberty

• WR Jay Fair: USC

• CB Colton Hood: Colorado

• S Marquise Gilbert: TBD

• DE Wilky Denaud: TBD

• EDGE Stephen Sings V: TBD

• LB Cam Riley: TBD Probably UCF?

• WR Ja'Varrius Johnson: TBD

• LB Wesley Steiner: TBD

• CB J.D. Rhym: TBD

Edited by Auburn93
  • Thanks 1

• Auburn93 changed the title to Transfers Out Improves Win Total

Off of this list I really see 2 I would have liked to kept that would probably be contributors this year:

Rhym & J. Johnson.

Cam Riley showed flashes at times at LB.

5 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

The reason why Auburn will have to wait till 2025 to see results is because we still have another group to transfer OUT. It is not just recruiting in but also getting rid of the bad talent. 

I know we had some stinker ball games last year, but look at the players who took up space and could not play the game at a high level. They were the reason for 6 losses.

The only quality team listed below is LSU. USC and South Carolina would be next tier. Our talent is about on par with those teams. Everyone else is low tier. 

It is a churning process. 

WHERE AUBURN TRANSFERS LANDED

• QB Robby Ashford: South Carolina

• WR Malcolm Johnson Jr.: Bowling Green

• WR Omari Kelly: Middle Tennessee State

• WR Jyaire Shorter: Memphis

• TE Tyler Fromm: Georgia Southern

• DT Enyce Sledge: Illinois

• DT Stephen Johnson: McNeese State

• DB Donovan Kaufman: NC State

• DB Austin Ausberry: LSU

• EDGE Brenton Williams: Liberty

• WR Jay Fair: USC

• CB Colton Hood: Colorado

• S Marquise Gilbert: TBD

• DE Wilky Denaud: TBD

• EDGE Stephen Sings V: TBD

• LB Cam Riley: TBD Probably UCF?

• WR Ja'Varrius Johnson: TBD

• LB Wesley Steiner: TBD

• CB J.D. Rhym: TBD

Also, Ausberry's dad works at LSU

I don’t think this is ENTIRELY true. You have a point that we do have a lot of talent that isn’t SEC caliber. More than we should. But honestly, if you look at any SEC program, most of their transfers are downgrading too. That’s just the portal era.

Everyone wants to be a starter. I get it. Very few are satisfied with being role players. But I’d say the talent level of the average SEC rotational player is that of a lower P5/good G5 team. That’s why these guys are going where they’re going. 

Even when we rebuild the roster, we’ll still have plenty of guys that are at this talent level. And we’ll need them to contribute. Very few teams have a roster full of guys who could start absolutely anywhere.

• Like 7

So, in other words, we should withhold opinions regarding CHF for a couple more years, because he needs to cycle out more players and *hopefully* pull in and coach up better players. Is that what this thread is about? The dream of delayed gratification? 🤪

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, AURex said:

So, in other words, we should withhold opinions regarding CHF for a couple more years, because he needs to cycle out more players and *hopefully* pull in and coach up better players. Is that what this thread is about? The dream of delayed gratification? 🤪

Yep. It is also in response to the thought that we are going to lose a lot of seniors/experienced players next year. I don't think that is a problem because we will not be losing high end talent when that happens. We will be ever strengthening some positions like the QB and OL talent. Give me young and good over old and bad any day of the week. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I don’t think this is ENTIRELY true. You have a point that we do have a lot of talent that isn’t SEC caliber. More than we should. But honestly, if you look at any SEC program, most of their transfers are downgrading too. That’s just the portal era.

Everyone wants to be a starter. I get it. Very few are satisfied with being role players. But I’d say the talent level of the average SEC rotational player is that of a lower P5/good G5 team. That’s why these guys are going where they’re going. 

Even when we rebuild the roster, we’ll still have plenty of guys that are at this talent level. And we’ll need them to contribute. Very few teams have a roster full of guys who could start absolutely anywhere.

The days of the Bama’s and UGA’s having 5 star backups are pretty much done. There’s no patience anymore, if guys aren’t playing they’re leaving 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, AURex said:

So, in other words, you're post is about firing HF and hiring a can't miss recruiter and portal expert that is also a better coach than most others? 😂

See how that works.

Have you looked at our draft numbers compared to our main rivals? I don't know if HF is the man. I do know that our talent gap, especially in this era, is more than a one or two year recruiting cycle fix. Maybe let him coach two seasons before we decide to place him in the 'pay coaches not to coach: category? 

We can criticize all we want and I do. I also realize this HC was so shocked at the lack of talent on his team that he attempted something he's never done before anywhere. Hire someone on very short notice to coach his team while he worked his butt off to increase the talent level at AU. Also on very short notice.  Most national pundits that don't depend on AU fans for clicks and bucks thought this was a 3-5 year job just for AU to level the field talent wise. I personally felt the same way. We are ahead of where I thought we would be talent wise. I'll reserve judgement on the coaching until mid season or so. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

So, in other words, you're post is about firing HF and hiring a can't miss recruiter and portal expert that is also a better coach than most others? 😂

I think you missed the humor of my post.

11 minutes ago, AURex said:

I think you missed the humor of my post.

Well. I got  on here to delete that. I just read it again and got it the second time. I wasted a helluva good argument on nothing. 

I'm leaving it up so I'll remember not to be so dumb...

• Haha 2

Hey, no prob, man. I make a lot of posts that others decide to whack me for. I been slapped up and down -- as have a lot of AUFamily. Occasionally I even admit that I effed up! hahaha Good on you, my friend.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AURex said:

Hey, no prob, man. I make a lot of posts that others decide to whack me for. I been slapped up and down -- as have a lot of AUFamily. Occasionally I even admit that I effed up! hahaha Good on you, my friend.

Definitely not the dumbest thing I've ever done. I've been married twice...  😆

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

Definitely not the dumbest thing I've ever done. I've been married twice...  😆

Hahaha -- welp, me too, but the 2nd one stuck. 45 years now and counting.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AURex said:

Hahaha -- welp, me too, but the 2nd one stuck. 45 years now and counting.

37 here. Definitely outkicked my coverage! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 8:23 AM, Auburn93 said:

Yep. It is also in response to the thought that we are going to lose a lot of seniors/experienced players next year. I don't think that is a problem because we will not be losing high end talent when that happens. We will be ever strengthening some positions like the QB and OL talent. Give me young and good over old and bad any day of the week. 

As long as our young and good show some patience & will stay long enough to gain experience and develop at their positions.  LOL

4-5*'s have expectation$ and demand$ these days with little patience or the maturity to wait for a Coach that takes years to build a contender. 

Edited by JerryAU
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 8:30 PM, JuscAUse! said:

We can criticize all we want and I do. I also realize this HC was so shocked at the lack of talent on his team that he attempted something he's never done before anywhere. Hire someone on very short notice to coach his team while he worked his butt off to increase the talent level at AU. Also on very short notice.  Most national pundits that don't depend on AU fans for clicks and bucks thought this was a 3-5 year job just for AU to level the field talent wise. I personally felt the same way. We are ahead of where I thought we would be talent wise. I'll reserve judgement on the coaching until mid season or so. 

I know this was a response to a misunderstood joke, but I like the bit, so I'm going to respond to it. I didn't think it was a 3-5 year job in any way except for getting us fully back to national prominence, but I didn't realize Hugh was going to have to do so much work in recruiting to get us back there. Let it be clear, the man worked tirelessly this past season re-engaging with high school coaching contacts in order to reopen the lanes of recruiting over our footprint area, and the groundwork that has been established will serve us exceedingly well for years to come.

It's still utterly befuddling how magnanimously Bryan Harsin screwed up our football program, and now, having full perspective on what his tenure meant for Auburn football, I shake my head that I bought in for the time that I did, even though I do feel I have an excuse. The last time we spoke, my friend who was the connection to Harsin's staff seemed to be trying to convince me to stand by him still, saying I wasn't one of the typical Aubs who couldn't see how much work Harsin put in, and while I don't doubt that he gave it legitimately his best shot, it's clear to see he was in over his head. He didn't get even a salt lick of support from TPTB, so it's not really a fair situation to judge him on, but he was reverting to full Boise on us. To hear my friend tell it, because Hars put a couple of players from his Boise teams in the NFL, their standard is just as good as ours. I think I may have lost the friendship when I explained, as gently as I could, that peak Auburn does more than put a couple of random guys in The League.

But as to the job Freeze is doing, honestly, he's doing about as I expected him to do, though his challenge was greater than I understood when he was hired. That 3-5 years until we're competing for championships is still in order, though we are on track to meet the early end of it due to the influence of the portal. I don't think there's a whole lot of chance that we get ahead of schedule and legitimately find ourselves in the hunt for the playoffs this season, but 10 wins (with a bowl victory) doesn't seem too far out of bounds. Of course, for next year (2025) to be our year, we'll need one of the young QBs to step up, but we do, at least, have a few seemingly capable options there who will get at least one full season in the offense before taking over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I know this was a response to a misunderstood joke, but I like the bit, so I'm going to respond to it. I didn't think it was a 3-5 year job in any way except for getting us fully back to national prominence, but I didn't realize Hugh was going to have to do so much work in recruiting to get us back there. Let it be clear, the man worked tirelessly this past season re-engaging with high school coaching contacts in order to reopen the lanes of recruiting over our footprint area, and the groundwork that has been established will serve us exceedingly well for years to come.

It's still utterly befuddling how magnanimously Bryan Harsin screwed up our football program, and now, having full perspective on what his tenure meant for Auburn football, I shake my head that I bought in for the time that I did, even though I do feel I have an excuse. The last time we spoke, my friend who was the connection to Harsin's staff seemed to be trying to convince me to stand by him still, saying I wasn't one of the typical Aubs who couldn't see how much work Harsin put in, and while I don't doubt that he gave it legitimately his best shot, it's clear to see he was in over his head. He didn't get even a salt lick of support from TPTB, so it's not really a fair situation to judge him on, but he was reverting to full Boise on us. To hear my friend tell it, because Hars put a couple of players from his Boise teams in the NFL, their standard is just as good as ours. I think I may have lost the friendship when I explained, as gently as I could, that peak Auburn does more than put a couple of random guys in The League.

But as to the job Freeze is doing, honestly, he's doing about as I expected him to do, though his challenge was greater than I understood when he was hired. That 3-5 years until we're competing for championships is still in order, though we are on track to meet the early end of it due to the influence of the portal. I don't think there's a whole lot of chance that we get ahead of schedule and legitimately find ourselves in the hunt for the playoffs this season, but 10 wins (with a bowl victory) doesn't seem too far out of bounds. Of course, for next year (2025) to be our year, we'll need one of the young QBs to step up, but we do, at least, have a few seemingly capable options there who will get at least one full season in the offense before taking over.

We should definitely be more talented next year but there’s been countless examples of talented rosters that have struggled early before blossoming (2011 and 12, but also look at UCF in 2015).

Edited by AUwent

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

We should definitely be more talented next year but there’s been countless examples of talented rosters that have struggled early before blossoming (2011 and 12, but also look at UCF in 2015).

I didn't mean to say we would necessarily hit the mark of 10 wins with a bowl victory, only that it's not at all unattainable.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I didn't mean to say we would necessarily hit the mark of 10 wins with a bowl victory, only that it's not at all unattainable.

Are you referring to this year or next? Because you talked, as many others have, about ‘25 being “our year.” And if the current starting lineup holds, we’re only going to have seven returning starters next year.

11 hours ago, AUwent said:

Are you referring to this year or next? Because you talked, as many others have, about ‘25 being “our year.” And if the current starting lineup holds, we’re only going to have seven returning starters next year.

Ooh, that's a bit troubling. I wasn't meaning that 25 was our year, but that the program would be out of the hole Harsin dug us into by then.

But the 10 wins bit was talking about what I see as our ceiling this year.