Does Courtney contribute this week?

rolltoomer

It's tough to have the best receiver hobbled.

I hope he has a terrific game. We're going to need him.

Interesting how he was used as a decoy vs. the Hogs. (Fake reverses.)

I hope Borges has some gadget plays lined up, but I hope more that Taylor is finally healthy.

:au: I think he has a great game. It's interesting how certain players tend to step it up for certain games. For example, Devin against Arky (this year and last). I think Taylor has a break out game again this year against lsu!! Let's hope so! :au:

if by contribute you mean catch 3 or 4 balls and move the chains a time or two? yeah i think he will actually. but i don't expect him to be "the guy" in the passing game. i think we'll get much bigger games out of ben and cooper.

I dont know if its just me but does anyone notice that Taylor catches only with his chest? Ive made this observation last year and this year...it seems (even during his game winning catch) that he used his chest for alot of catches.

Not to disrespect the player, because I love Courtney Taylor to death and he is a clutch guy, but I dont even think hes our best receiver on the team. In all honesty, Mix and Obomanu have been just as consistent if not better than Taylor.

vatz...you're right. He does catch with his chest. He also jumps in the air when he doesn't need to. He was a qb in high school and a lot of players that transition to receiver have trouble with this. They tend to leave their feet and don't catch the ball with their hands. I'm sure the coaches have been working on this with him, but he still makes the catches regardless. Hes a very good athlete.

it's an interesting question: who is the best receiver on the team? i think coming into the year, almost everyone would have taken courtney. he seems to be going through a little of what devin did as a sophomore. courtney's getting a lot more attention from the defenses we face. he's got a nagging injury, and he's had the only two games in his career where he's played and not made a catch. so the door is definitely open to debate it now.

ben has been the model of consistency. he's increased his number of receptions every year. he's had at least 3 tds every year (an incredible 16 tds on his career, double what any other receiver has). and he's the leading receiver on the team this year.

devin has been up and down his whole career. great as a freshman. 3 catches as a sophomore. great as a deep threat last year. he's a big play guy all the way (averaged over 16 yards per catch as a frosh, over 21 last year, and over 16 so far this year).

ct put up one of the best years a receiver at auburn has had since i've been alive (only tillman, sanders, and daniels are even in the conversation for my lifetime... born in 1982). but he's only had a catch in three games this year, probably a different story if he's healthy.

mix has always been a great underneath option and an exciting guy with the ball in his hands, but he's never been able to match ben's consistency, devin's big plays, or courtney's all around game.

if i had to take a guy for the nfl, i'd take ct. if i had to have a guy for this year, i think i'd take devin. ben's my boy, and i love his game. i think he'll be the guy this weekend, but i think at the end of the year, we're going to look back at devin's season as the one that caught the attention of the nfl. he's playing ball this year.

If I had to rank our receivers/tight ends based on what I would expect, giving them all the same opportunity as a #1, in the LSU game:

1) Devin Aromoshodu

2) Anthony Mix

3) Ben Obomanu

4) Cooper Wallace

5) Prechae Rodriguez

6) Courtney Taylor

7) Cole Bennett

8) Lee Guess

Guys, when we have that many good WR's .. darn we're loaded.

no offense, but if it comes to lee guess, i'm closing my eyes.

190272[/snapback]

Yeah, it's like naming the Braves pitchers this past year .. Smoltz, Hudson .. Tom Martin, Dan Kolb

Somebody's gotta be last.

If you have actually watched when Guess is in the game, he runs very good routes and catches everything thrown to him. He just isn't big enough and fast enough to make it to the top with the receivers we have.

Guess has actually got some of the best hands on the team...hes just a little slower and not as big as the others starting ahead of him.

i don't know about yall but i really want CT to step back up in front of the others. When he makes a catch in stride he explodes upfield, esp. when catching the ball over the middle. he may not have the speed that devin has but i think he's our most impressive wideout when healthy.

no lee reminds me of justin fetsko. both of them had great hands. both of them got time on special teams. both of them made catches against small schools. both of them make me close my eyes and pray they won't either a) fumble or B) die every time they get hit. i have no doubt lee will catch the ball; i also have no doubt that a guy my size (literally, we're the exact same size, sat next to him in class... and i make tre look big) can't take many hits from sec safeties without risk of serious injury.

and yeah, i too am happy that ct will be back next year. i'm also really encouraged by what i've seen from pre (and yes i'm stealing prefontane's nickname to give it to our juco wide reciever). he's gonna be a solid number two next year.

Archived