Washington State - - Sept. 2, 2006

AUHansel

I don't know about anyone else, but personally I'm sort of scared about this game. While they are not exactly a great team, probably not as good as Ga Tech last season, they still pose a huge threat to our season. Tommy doesn't exactly get the team ready for games when they have a layoff, unless they are a cupcake. Look at 02, 03, and 05.

Sep 02, 2002 Los Angeles, CA USC 24, Auburn 17

Aug 30, 2003 Auburn, AL USC 23, Auburn 0

Sep 03, 2005 Auburn, AL Georgia Tech 23, Auburn 14 (I blame this one on Borges for not running the ball at all, Cox shouldn't have thrown the ball 50 times, but this still had to do with coaching)

also, remember how bad we looked in the Capital One Bowl last season. I know we have a better team than Washington st does, but this game scares me. They do have some talent and could pull off an upset if auburn isn't in the right mind set. I think we will win this game, but I hope the team plays to their potential. They could have an amazing season if they do. Plus we play better in the underdog role for some reason. I hope the hype machine doesn't get rolling like it did in 03.

as soon as I wrote this I went to rivals and read this article

A Look Ahead: Cougars a tough opener for AU

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree....2002 we were in that game with USC and had the chance of winning. 2003 we did lay an egg after being pumped as pre-season #1 and an unproven OC that shouldn't have been, 2005 was just lack of experience in backfield and I somewhat agree with OC assesment of not running enough.

AU will come out ready to play...mark my words. These seniors were on the 2003 team and the 2004 team and I think will be better prepared as will the coaching staff at handling the media pressures on the team.

I think it will be a much tougher game than most think. WSU has struggled the past couple of years mostly with a coaching change. Before they were in the Rose Bowl and had back to back 10 win seasons I believe. They have a lot of returning starters especially at the skill positions of QB, RB, and WR. They will be much improved and probably finish around the middle of the pack in the Pac10 and not the bottom.

I think if CTT is worried about getting them up for the game, he should just make the team watch the 2006 Capital One Bowl again. If that doesn't shame and embarrass them into being ready for WSU, I don't know what will.

Regarding another comment of AUHansel:

Plus we play better in the underdog role for some reason.
I think this is pretty much conventional wisdom that we all sort of believe, but I'm wondering if the numbers REALLY back it up. [Like for example, at one time the "legend" of LSU's inviincibility in Death Valley greatly exceed the actual stats, although I imagine those stats have improved considerably over the last 2-3 years.] Are we really better in the underdog role, or do we just remember the great upsets more vividly? It's the sort of statistical question I'd like to ask StatTiger about, but I don't know that even he has back records of the point spreads or who was favored in our old games.

SL--

Didn't you think Auburn was going to beat GaTech last year too?

We play horrible in these games. IE Wisconsin--

I love Auburn, but we'll lose this one too. Don't get your hopes up for an out of conference opener against an above average team.

I've been worried about this as well. Hopefully past experience will have the coach's prepared. The one thing I have noticed about CTT is that he gets his team and coach's up for the games he has to win. He wins the games that are important - the SEC games and especially Alabama. I'll take that, but it'd be nice to win the others as well.

Wow besides Slink everyone esle is doubting the team in MAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Auburn has a great team this year with a lot of fire power, the game with wazzou is not going to be an easy game but if Au plays well they will win! I understand that Auburn has had trouble in opening games in recent past! Give Tubbs a chance you have to believe that he knows how bad Au has played in opening games the past few years, he is not stupid he will have the team ready for a big run this year :big:

SL--

Didn't you think Auburn was going to beat GaTech last year too?

We play horrible in these games. IE Wisconsin--

I love Auburn, but we'll lose this one too. Don't get your hopes up for an out of conference opener against an above average team.

234595[/snapback]

Wow why should Auburn even show up to the game??????? :no:

Wow besides Slink everyone esle is doubting the team in MAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Auburn has a great team this year with a lot of fire power, the game with wazzou is not going to be an easy game but if Au plays well they will win! I understand that Auburn has had trouble in opening games in recent past! Give Tubbs a chance you have to believe that he knows how bad Au has played in opening games the past few years, he is not stupid he will have the team ready for a big run this year :big:

234605[/snapback]

As I have stated a couple of other times on other threads, I believe we will win. I don't know that it will be a blowout. There are always intagiables at the beginning of the year when it comes to timing on the offensive side of the ball. C'mon people we are Auburn University. Time to walk tall, carry a big stick, and let everyone one ELSE get ready for their beatdown!

It's great to be optimistic... we're just not going to get hyped up like last year for a disappointment. We're realists... if we win, we celebrate - but the game isn't over yet. It's also like the Alabama game - everyone thinks we have this game won already and that the next game is gonna be played in JH. Well jeez, Cox will be a senior so I guess we win that game too. So we really don't play Bama again for another 3 years - but hell, that game is in BD, so we are guaranteed to win right? So maybe its four more years til we actually have to play Alabama. But they'll break in a new QB then, so 5 more years... then back to BD... so six years really until we have to play Alabama again. NOOOO... Bama is dangerous and we can not take them lightly. I don't care if AU has won every game there - it's really only like what - 5 games? As an engineer, that's not enough collected data. Being rivals - I always am worried about going into another stadium.

234605[/snapback]

As I have stated a couple of other times on other threads, I believe we will win. I don't know that it will be a blowout. There are always intagiables at the beginning of the year when it comes to timing on the offensive side of the ball. C'mon people we are Auburn University. Time to walk tall, carry a big stick, and let everyone one ELSE get ready for their beatdown!

234620[/snapback]

EXACTLY, Good call!!!

Come on ya'll, last year we had a QB with little to no expirence in a big game and GT WAS a big game. They didn't play KI like they should have but he is in it now, I think we will do just fine, have a little faith and we can't always be the underdog lets turn ouesleves into the ones everyone fears and worries about the year before.

234605[/snapback]

234620[/snapback]

EXACTLY, Good call!!!

Come on ya'll, last year we had a QB with little to no expirence in a big game and GT WAS a big game. They didn't play KI like they should have but he is in it now, I think we will do just fine, have a little faith and we can't always be the underdog lets turn ouesleves into the ones everyone fears and worries about the year before.

234650[/snapback]

Smart girl.

234605[/snapback]

234620[/snapback]

EXACTLY, Good call!!!

234650[/snapback]

Smart girl.

234653[/snapback]

Smart man. It was great to see you the other day

It's great to be optimistic... we're just not going to get hyped up like last year for a disappointment. We're realists... if we win, we celebrate - but the game isn't over yet. It's also like the Alabama game - everyone thinks we have this game won already and that the next game is gonna be played in JH. Well jeez, Cox will be a senior so I guess we win that game too. So we really don't play Bama again for another 3 years - but hell, that game is in BD, so we are guaranteed to win right? So maybe its four more years til we actually have to play Alabama. But they'll break in a new QB then, so 5 more years... then back to BD... so six years really until we have to play Alabama again. NOOOO... Bama is dangerous and we can not take them lightly. I don't care if AU has won every game there - it's really only like what - 5 games? As an engineer, that's not enough collected data. Being rivals - I always am worried about going into another stadium.

234641[/snapback]

I don't know any Auburn fan that took GT lightly or has ever taken bama lighly. Yes, I thought we would have showed better against GT, but the inexperienced showed when we got behind. I am more confident this b/c the experience is there, does not mean I take WSU lightly!!! They are going to win 7 or 8 games this year, losing to AU, USC, OSU, and Oregon, maybe UW. They have some talent returning and will be much improved. But according to their followers they have a lack of talented depth after the first teamers.

I agree it is time for all AU fans to realize we are not going to being playing the underdog role anymore, probably not all this year will we not be the favored team!! Embrace it...This is AUBURN FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!

Is this the official whimper and whine, "the sky is falling" thread.

Hansel, I have an idea, find Gretel and the two of you huddle up in the corner until the WSU game is over.

My major concern about this year's team will be in line play [offense and defense]. If our line play comes around then we will do well. The Capital One Bowl against Wisconsin probably did more to help us prepare for Cougars than anything. I also like the CTT not talking too overly optimistic about the season also .... I prefer that he leaves that in our hands.

WAR EAGLE!!!

Is this the official whimper and whine, "the sky is falling" thread.

Hansel, I have an idea, find Gretel and the two of you huddle up in the corner until the WSU game is over.

234690[/snapback]

wow...we've found the grown-up for this thread.

I never said that I think that we'll lose, I just said that it is a possiblilty and that I don't think CTT is great at getting ready with long layoffs. I am not doubting the teams ability. I think they could blow them out of the water. I think that our team has the talent to win a national championship. I also thought that in 2003(which we obviously had the talent, it just wasn't used right). I'm just saying that I hope no one takes this game lightly.

Auburn by 20+ to set the tone for the season! I am usually not one to make bold predictions, but I just have the feeling this team will be on a mission - the stars are aligned (BTW, I'm not talking astrology, I'm talking the starts on the field ;) )

I do not and have never liked Auburn opening with a tough nonconference game.Auburn, for some reason ,needs to warm up with an mediocre or poor team first.When it's a tough SEC team we seem to do better.

Hey Mr. Stat tiger is their anyway you could maybe do a search on that?What is Auburn's win loss against nonconference opponet in the first game of the year,division 1A only .

Maybe 20 years back.

Thanks so much if you can.

This is 2006. All the talk about last year, honestly, is not really relevant to THIS TEAM in THIS YEAR. Starting a totally new backfield in game 1 against a good GA Tech team with a seasoned QB...having really no idea who our strong runners were going to be...so we passed the ball too much leading to tons of interceptions...

Come on guys.

We will win this game. 2006 is going to be a year that Auburn fans will remember for a long time, and it will start on September 2 with a decent outing by the team.

We won't walk all over them, but we have the right pieces in the right places with coaches and players. We will win this game.

Starting a totally new backfield in game 1 against a good GA Tech team with a seasoned QB...

Whoh.....what? Seasoned QB?

Starting a totally new backfield in game 1 against a good GA Tech team with a seasoned QB...

Whoh.....what? Seasoned QB?

235012[/snapback]

Had more experience than Shockley right?

235085[/snapback]

Yet Shockley out-performed him on just about every level.

Ball is far from "seasoned"

How many times has GT's fans called for him to be replaced?

After half the games the last 2 years? Is that being too generous?

235085[/snapback]

Yet Shockley out-performed him on just about every level.

Ball is far from "seasoned"

How many times has GT's fans called for him to be replaced?

After half the games the last 2 years? Is that being too generous?

235086[/snapback]

he still had experience. he is dumb and isn't a very good qb, but he has a lot of starting experience in college football.

Archived