Best/Worst Cheers

PChamp119

:om: at one time finished almost all their cheers "Go To Hell :lsu: "

If their is one team in th :sec: that I would never take the starters out, it would be :om:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:om: at one time finished almost all their cheers "Go To Hell :lsu: "

If their is one team in th :sec: that I would never take the starters out, it would be :om:

245123[/snapback]

Ole Miss considers LSU its arch rival. LSU, on the other hand, rarely considers Ole Miss at all.

LSU has a couple of awful ones that are like fingernails on a chalkboard:

Hot boudin,

Cold couscous,

C'mon Tigers,

Poosh, poosh, poosh!

Two bits,

Four bits,

Six bits,

A dollar,

All for LSU,

Stand up and holler!

:brickwall:

LSU has a couple of awful ones that are like fingernails on a chalkboard:

Hot boudin,

Cold couscous,

C'mon Tigers,

Poosh, poosh, poosh!

Two bits,

Four bits,

Six bits,

A dollar,

All for LSU,

Stand up and holler!

:brickwall:

245128[/snapback]

cdn, that was a great post and showed a great sense of humor.

And, does ANYONE really condsider :om: a real threat? I mean they dont have someone named Manning at qb anymore and likely wont have one for another 20 years or so.

Well since I was at that game...and since I dont know the AU fight song I wouldnt have known to tell you guys to go to hell  :P   :D

But I heard plenty of it the last 4 years.

244944[/snapback]

BG you would be amazed at how many Bama Fans dont know their own fight song much less that of another schools.

In all seriousness..when I cheered "go to hell, Alabama" I was not wishing the individuals eternal damnnation, it was merely a euphamism regarding my desire for them to experience "Hell on Earth" as they come to terms with the loss they had just witnessed.

In regards to AWFUL cheers I would have to say there are two that bug me... 1: Boomer Sooner....I think those are simply the words...over and over again

2: Penn St. plays "Zombie Nation" like UT plays Rocky Top. Atleast you can sing to Rocky Top. I would transfer out of AU if they started playing Zombie Nation over the loud speakers between virtually every play

(addendum: In my research I have learned that Boomer Sooner was taken from Yale's fight song "Boola Boola" and I can only imagine how those words fit into the tune...so you can add that to the list of bad cheers)

I hate the track 'em cheer and the bodegetta cheer for Auburn. Please, let's not do this anymore because it sounds stupid. Our War Eagle chant is the best.

I love the Florida cheer when the band plays a little tune and then the crowd chants GATORBAIT!!!

LSU's fan bowdown and the then fans chant LSU is pretty cool.

I hate the hell out of Tennessee's chants and the band playing that damn song all game.

Everything about Miss State, Vandy, Kentucky, Arkansas, South Carolina is gay.

Bama's rammer jammer is pretty cool actually.

Georgia's Go you Georgia Bulldogs chant is cool.

Ole Miss chants and traditions are okay, but not great. Hoddy Toddy is queer.

BG, you are the fart in the room!

245077[/snapback]

But have you ever seen a fart linger for 6000+ posts?

245111[/snapback]

...a very good point: BamaGrad has been a respected member of this board for a long time (even back before he was actually a "grad" and went by "BamaStudent"), as his 6000 posts indicate. And he is one of the more reasonable Bama fans you're likely to meet, as oxymoronic as that may sound. It's regretable that he's a little "learning-disabled" when it comes to picking teams to cheer for, but show some respect, AFTiger!

[You might also want to read "The Rules" of the board, particulary 3#: "No name-calling. Grow up and act like adults."]

Let me 'splain something to you:  uat does this ridiculously stupid cheer every time they win -- even if they just eke out a win, and even if they win because the other team failed to make a FG as time ran out (see the bowl win over Iowa St a few years back.)  For the toothless masses to start pufffing their chests out a yelling we-jus-beat-da-hayell-out-o-you in these situations is a total bs ...

244851[/snapback]

This is the most irritating thing about this cheer to me--saying "We just beat the hell out of you" when they are lucky to have survived the game (See Ole Miss & Tennessee last year). At least save it for when you actually do "beat the hell" out of someone. [Although then it would seem a little classless to rub salt into the wounds of someone you've actually embarrassed on the field.]

I have the same reaction every time I see one of the Crimson persuasion wearing the T-shirts celebrating their victory over Tennessee last year. They only survived because of a miraculous fumble by the Vol runner as he's headed into the endzone, but they want to wear a T-shirt commemorating that near-miss to a team with a losing record? ["I'm so proud that we eaked out a 6-3 miracle against a bunch of losers!"] It's this kind of conceit and arrogance that causes so many Bama fans to be hated by so many others.

but they want to wear a T-shirt commemorating that near-miss to a team with a losing record? ["I'm so proud that we eaked out a 6-3 miracle against a bunch of losers!"] It's this kind of conceit and arrogance that causes so many Bama fans to be hated by so many others.

Yet two of the 4 fingers in the "fear the thumb" shirt came from Bama teams who didnt have a winning record. Its amazing to me that AU fans give us so much crap about enjoying a win over UT, yet they were giddy as school girls when they eeked out a win over a 4-9 bama team that lost worse to hawaii and ole miss.

Either a win over a bitter rival is sweet, regardless of said rival's record...or it isnt. But you have to pick one. You cant gloat over beating us 4 years in a row and TOTALLY discredit the fact that we were depleted and down...yet dog us for enjoying a rather sweet win over a down UT team. Especially after all that had gone down between UA and UT.

You can have your cake, or you can eat your cake...cant do both.

but they want to wear a T-shirt commemorating that near-miss to a team with a losing record? ["I'm so proud that we eaked out a 6-3 miracle against a bunch of losers!"] It's this kind of conceit and arrogance that causes so many Bama fans to be hated by so many others.

Yet two of the 4 fingers in the "fear the thumb" shirt came from Bama teams who didnt have a winning record. Its amazing to me that AU fans give us so much crap about enjoying a win over UT, yet they were giddy as school girls when they eeked out a win over a 4-9 bama team that lost worse to hawaii and ole miss.

Either a win over a bitter rival is sweet, regardless of said rival's record...or it isnt. But you have to pick one. You cant gloat over beating us 4 years in a row and TOTALLY discredit the fact that we were depleted and down...yet dog us for enjoying a rather sweet win over a down UT team. Especially after all that had gone down between UA and UT.

You can have your cake, or you can eat your cake...cant do both.

245735[/snapback]

I'll accept your argument up to a point. However, it was the nature of the win as much as Tennessee's record that seems silly to celebrate to me. I actually heard a Bama fan at the bar a few weeks ago, refering to UT, say "We beat 'em last year and we're going to stomp them again this year", which seems to imply a feeling that you "stomped' them last year.

I suppose someone made T-shirts celebrating our 2003 win over the 4-9 Tide(someone usually does for every Iron Bowl). But I never saw any, nor would I have worn one. On the other hand, it was a clear, if close, victory for us and not a miraculous fluke. [Despite however many "quarters" of moral victory Bama claims.]

The streak is another matter. Four in a row is something to celebrate regardless of how big or small the individual victories were. Those sort of streaks are unusual in the Iron Bowl and I wouldn't blame either side for celebrating them while they're current (I even accept that Bama's 9-yr streak is the longest in the series, but I'd say too far ago to celebrate it on a T-shirt now.)

I'm not too thrilled with all the "Fear the Thumb" mania because I think it just gives Bama more incentive and motivation. If we were to win by a margin as narrow and miraculous as your 6-3 Tennessee miracle, I would still feel fine about celebrating the continuation of the streak, but I wouldn't brag to anyone about the game itself. You might see me in a "Here's the Thumb" or "Five in a Row" T-shirt, but not in a "lucky 6-3 victory" shirt.

I say we as Auburn fans shouldn't talk s**t until we get to nine in a row over Bama. They beat us nine in a row '72-'81, I think, so I don't see the current streak as that big a deal. I hate Bama and love to see them suffer, but we gotta spank 'em a little more before we gloat.

I'll accept your argument up to a point. However, it was the nature of the win as much as Tennessee's record that seems silly to celebrate to me. I actually heard a Bama fan at the bar a few weeks ago, refering to UT, say "We beat 'em last year and we're going to stomp them again this year", which seems to imply a feeling that you "stomped' them last year.

I suppose someone made T-shirts celebrating our 2003 win over the 4-9 Tide(someone usually does for every Iron Bowl). But I never saw any, nor would I have worn one. On the other hand, it was a clear, if close, victory for us and not a miraculous fluke. [Despite however many "quarters" of moral victory Bama claims.]

The streak is another matter. Four in a row is something to celebrate regardless of how big or small the individual victories were. Those sort of streaks are unusual in the Iron Bowl and I wouldn't blame either side for celebrating them while they're current (I even accept that Bama's 9-yr streak is the longest in the series, but I'd say too far ago to celebrate it on a T-shirt now.)

I'm not too thrilled with all the "Fear the Thumb" mania because I think it just gives Bama more incentive and motivation. If we were to win by a margin as narrow and miraculous as your 6-3 Tennessee miracle, I would still feel fine about celebrating the continuation of the streak, but I wouldn't brag to anyone about the game itself. You might see me in a "Here's the Thumb" or "Five in a Row" T-shirt, but not in a "lucky 6-3 victory" shirt.

Okay...what about 1997 when we were 4-7 and you beat us on the MIRACULOUS Ed Scissum fumble. Almost an IDENTICAL situation...except you didnt have to travel 70 yards in under 2 mins to kick the game winner.

Was that victory not sweet as it could be? I saw a TON of tshirts for that win.

Bottom line...for me at least...a win over a bitter rival, no matter how down they are, is to be celebrated. AU should be proud of the fact that they beat UA 4 in a row. They should be excited that they beat a 4-9 team by 5 points at home. 5 points or 1 point its still a win.

And you and i both know bitter rivals get up for those games. They always play you tough. Last year was our first year off of scholarship limitations and UT has had a 4 year head start on us...and we still beat them. Im pretty darn proud of that.

In 2004 when AU looked bad against us but stayed undefeated...their argument for the BCS title game was that rivals play one another hard. And you cant just look at our 6-6 record and say that game should have been a blowout.

Okay...what about 1997 when we were 4-7 and you beat us on the MIRACULOUS Ed Scissum fumble. Almost an IDENTICAL situation...except you didnt have to travel 70 yards in under 2 mins to kick the game winner.

Was that victory not sweet as it could be? I saw a TON of tshirts for that win.

I thought of the same game as I was reading his post. I think the '97 Iron Bowl was even worse than UT UA 2005. UA actually was ahead and only needed to run out the clock. I still have my shirt from that year. 18-17 from the corner to the dome. I believe that anytime you defeat your rival you should celebrate it. However I will admit there was something awkward about it. I enjoyed the heck out of it but it just different to me than the other victories over Alabama. I was wearing my shirt while Christmas shopping in 1997. A teenage girl approached me and said "you know we really won that game." I didn't say a word and just looked at her and smiled.

As for the 5 point victory in 2003. Just like the 2 Iron Bowls after it, Alabama tacked on a late TD to make the score more respectable.

As for the 5 point victory in 2003. Just like the 2 Iron Bowls after it, Alabama tacked on a late TD to make the score more respectable.

Not to be a pain...but when you are an onsides recovery away from having the ball for a game winning drive...you didnt just "tack one on" late in the game.

This year...yes...last year...probably. 03 no way.

Getting back to the lecture at hand....

I think it's Stanford that has a cheer that goes

"Pursue them! Pursue them! Make them relinquish the ball!"

And from what I understand they used to do it in Latin.

And apparently MIT of all places has a cheer that goes like this...

E to the u du dx,

E to the x, dx.

Cosine, secant, tangent, sine,

3 point 1 4 1 5 9.

Integral, radical, mu, dv

Slipstick, sliderule, MIT!

I guess they shout it out at their Robot Combat tournaments and Chess matches. Give either of these, I'll take the idiot ramblings of any SEC cheer.

Not to be a pain...but when you are an onsides recovery away from having the ball for a game winning drive...you didnt just "tack one on" late in the game.

This year...yes...last year...probably. 03 no way.

245812[/snapback]

I see your point. I guess "tacked on" may not have been the right way to describe it. They did put together a nice drive for their final score. I was just showing the distinction between AU vs UA '03 and UT vs UA '05. (Au held a 12 point advantage in the 4th quarter.)

Alabama's last 3 final Iron Bowl scoring drives

2003 - 11 plays 67 yards T.O.P 3:07 23-28 1:03 Remaining

2004 - 11 plays 84 yards T.O.P 2:16 13-21 1:26 Remaining

2005 - 7 plays 46 yards T.O.P 1:50 18-28 00:23 Remaining

The 2003 Iron Bowl was my first ever so that game has a special place. It was iffy towards the end when Bama got that last td, but how often do onside kicks work? Now the last two Iron Bowls have irked me because of Bama tacking on late touchedowns and making the games closer than they were. I'll give you the UT game BG, but what about Shula running around the field like a little giggly school girl after that fg against Ole Miss?

The 2003 Iron Bowl was my first ever so that game has a special place. It was iffy towards the end when Bama got that last td, but how often do onside kicks work? Now the last two Iron Bowls have irked me because of Bama tacking on late touchedowns and making the games closer than they were. I'll give you the UT game BG, but what about Shula running around the field like a little giggly school girl after that fg against Ole Miss?

245832[/snapback]

If you remember that game, Alabama actually recovered the onside kick, but because of some weird penalty, had to forego possession of the ball. Tuberville pumped his fist high in the air and the Tigers survived.

245832[/snapback]

A last second field goal on the road in the SEC to keep your team undefeated late in the season...after the previous two years we had...i would have been excited too.

Its always different when you win a game as time expires.

245832[/snapback]

A last second field goal on the road in the SEC to keep your team undefeated late in the season...after the previous two years we had...i would have been excited too.

Its always different when you win a game as time expires.

245909[/snapback]

It was Ole Miss......

245832[/snapback]

Tubby called off the dogs in the 2nd half last year, a habit that irks me to no end...or the outcome would've been much worse for the Tahd. I'd like to beat them by 50 this year at JHW, but it's not in our coach's nature to do so. A win is a win, I guess...can't complain too much about the end result.

:au::homer:

Archived