Finebaum wannabe number 2

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/rm....xml&coll=2

Know how the world percieves you by the enemies you attract...

When Finebaum wannabe number 2 has to reach this way back for a negative slant than you know WE ARE DEFINITELY GETTING UNDER THEIR SKIN. :roflol:

Richardson knows not to cross Tuberville :headscratch:

Friday, August 11, 2006

The problem at Auburn University is one of academics, said Interim President Ed Richardson.

Football? No problem there. Why, this could be a banner year for the Tigers, who are expected to contend not just for the Southeastern Conference championship, but maybe even the national title this year.

Head coach Tommy Tuberville has an excellent staff, a veteran team, a proven quarterback, and everyone is looking forward to a fine year of football down on The Plain.

No sir, there are no problems in the athletics department at Auburn. Tickets are sold, the sky boxes are leased, and all indications are that revenue is up.

That sticky little scholastic problem that prompted Richardson to ask two department heads to step down, and caused significant changes in Auburn's policy regarding directed reading/independent studies?

Isn't it a shame when the academic side of a university becomes an embarrassment to the athletics department? Don't you just hate it when the stellar reputation of the football program gets tainted by a couple of eggheads over in Liberal Arts?

That had nothing to do with football. Why, only 18 percent of the grades given out in these "directed reading" courses were to student athletes! Only 7.5 percent were actual football players!

Never mind that athletes make up only two percent of the Auburn student body, suggesting a disproportionate number of athletes found their way to easy grades. The point is, Richardson asked around and said he couldn't find a single person who would say that athletes were directed toward these classes, or that there was any kind of arrangement between the athletics department and these two branches of Auburn academia.

Good thing. If anyone had told him that, he'd have had a major NCAA violation on his hands, and that's the last thing anyone at Auburn wants right now, what with the football team going for its fifth straight victory over Alabama this fall.

You could almost sense Richardson apologizing to Tuberville for one of Richardson's professors dragging Tuberville's program into this mess. Richardson made sure everyone knew the only thing the athletics department was guilty of was being used by a professor for publicity purposes.

That's an ironic twist, don't you think? The football program being used by a professor for his personal agenda? Isn't it usually the other way around?

Richardson is no dummy. He knows what happened to the last Auburn president who tried to cross Tuberville.

Richardson knows his place. :bs: In fact, when he first heard about the accusations made by Jim Gundlach, the sociology professor who triggered the investigation by speaking to The New York Times, Richardson said, "At the time, I would have to say I wasn't real fired up about (the accusations)."

Particularly because the informant was one of his own.

But then, Auburn has a proud tradition of turning on itself, whether it's one of its prize recruits secretly taping illegal payments from football coaches and boosters or the former president and athletics director flying off behind the football coach's back to hire his replacement while the head coach was still on the job.

I can just imagine Richardson at the next faculty meeting, telling everyone, "Keep it down home, cuz."

Just another uat appologist doin' what they MUST do these days. Sad..Typical...FUNNY ! ! !

Exactly! It hurts sooo bad when people like this and Finedong want something to come to fruition...and there's JUST NOTHING TO IT. That pffffffft sound you hear is the air slowly leaking from the bubble they created. I was listening the other day when Finedong almost sounded totally exasperated that the investigation did not find any wrong doing in the athletic department.

DUUUUUHHHH! Any idiot with half a brain and more importantly, who didn't have an agenda, could see that.

He tried all day to spin it as a cover up, hoping someone besides S$#@ from Sinnerpoint would agree with him. They'll fire off a few more shots like this and the "Scandal" will be no more.

Exactly! It hurts sooo bad when people like this and Finedong want something to come to fruition...and there's JUST NOTHING TO IT. That pffffffft sound you hear is the air slowly leaking from the bubble they created. I was listening the other day when Finedong almost sounded totally exasperated that the investigation did not find any wrong doing in the athletic department.

DUUUUUHHHH! Any idiot with half a brain and more importantly, who didn't have an agenda, could see that.

He tried all day to spin it as a cover up, hoping someone besides S$#@ from Sinnerpoint would agree with him. They'll fire off a few more shots like this and the "Scandal" will be no more.

Bingo, Melick writes for the birmingham news which should be enough to discredit his opinion. This kind of stuff sales papers period, every Bubba Jim skoal spitting' bama redneck fan will buy this garbage and just eat it up. Go tell all his buddies how this is proof Auburn is dirty and just wait its only going to get worse for Auburn. He has inside info b/c he heard from his cousin who's sisters has a friend, who's boyfriend knows a guy who knows first hand that this was all an athletic scandal and we paid the ncaa to cover it up and give CPF more info to frame bama.

they have to give the banmmers something to feel good about, cause after the season starts

their bandwagon will look like this..

meepmeep_0605200317_crash_2003_2.jpg

oh the other cars are the rest of the SEC cruising past the debris

I got to work this morning, grabbed my usual cup of coffee, and sat down at my desk to read The Birmingham News, just like I do every morning. I read Melick's article, and I did something I have never done before. I shot Ray-Ray an email, basically begging for him to just come out and admit that he is greatly disappointed that there wasn't something more to the Auburn 'scandal'. I was very respectful, but I let him know that the tone of his article was just dripping in crimson.

I have yet to hear back from him. Probably won't hear back from him, either. Like David said, he's a PF Wannabe.

I sent Melick an e-mail saying he was flunking as a Paul Finebaum wannabee. He responded " This Mr. Finebaum you reference: who is he? Why would I want to be like him." I responded "I hope you don't want to be like him but your article is more like his style."

I subscribe to the Bham News but begore I read an article I look at the title/heading and note who the writer. This was one that I chose not to read ... Ray Melick would have difficulty pouring water out of a boot. It was irritating to me on last night when one of the Bham TV stations asked Finebaum's opinion concerning this investigation. I immediately hit the mute switch as he has nothing to say that I wish to hear. These two guys are white-trash journalists and they have nothing to say that could possibly be of any interest to me. They are repulsive.

Melick says "It was a joke guys!!!"

On WJOX now

He didn't say that when he replied to me.

Thank you for reading and taking the time to respond.

First, if you've read all I've had to say about this incident, you'll know from the very beginning, I've said this is an academic issue, not an athletic one, and that it goes on everywhere. I've also agreed that the NY Times was misguided in this story, that it's an internal squabble between professors in the Sociology department.

Having said that, however, I found it amusing that Dr. Richardson stressed the athletic side over the academic side in his press conference Thursday. His opening remarks made sure to clear the athletic department, instead of expressing concern over the way the academic side was mis-managed (which he later admitted to).

Are you suggesting there is no problem at Auburn? Apparently, Dr. Richardson and his staff do not agree with you. All we ``ill informed'' journalist have done is comment on what Auburn is doing to itself.

Regards,

Ray Melick

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/rm....xml&coll=2

Know how the world percieves you by the enemies you attract...

When Finebaum wannabe number 2 has to reach this way back for a negative slant than you know WE ARE DEFINITELY GETTING UNDER THEIR SKIN. :roflol:

Richardson knows not to cross Tuberville :headscratch:

Friday, August 11, 2006

The problem at Auburn University is one of academics, said Interim President Ed Richardson.

Football? No problem there. Why, this could be a banner year for the Tigers, who are expected to contend not just for the Southeastern Conference championship, but maybe even the national title this year.

Head coach Tommy Tuberville has an excellent staff, a veteran team, a proven quarterback, and everyone is looking forward to a fine year of football down on The Plain.

No sir, there are no problems in the athletics department at Auburn. Tickets are sold, the sky boxes are leased, and all indications are that revenue is up.

That sticky little scholastic problem that prompted Richardson to ask two department heads to step down, and caused significant changes in Auburn's policy regarding directed reading/independent studies?

Isn't it a shame when the academic side of a university becomes an embarrassment to the athletics department? Don't you just hate it when the stellar reputation of the football program gets tainted by a couple of eggheads over in Liberal Arts?

That had nothing to do with football. Why, only 18 percent of the grades given out in these "directed reading" courses were to student athletes! Only 7.5 percent were actual football players!

Never mind that athletes make up only two percent of the Auburn student body, suggesting a disproportionate number of athletes found their way to easy grades. The point is, Richardson asked around and said he couldn't find a single person who would say that athletes were directed toward these classes, or that there was any kind of arrangement between the athletics department and these two branches of Auburn academia.

Good thing. If anyone had told him that, he'd have had a major NCAA violation on his hands, and that's the last thing anyone at Auburn wants right now, what with the football team going for its fifth straight victory over Alabama this fall.

You could almost sense Richardson apologizing to Tuberville for one of Richardson's professors dragging Tuberville's program into this mess. Richardson made sure everyone knew the only thing the athletics department was guilty of was being used by a professor for publicity purposes.

That's an ironic twist, don't you think? The football program being used by a professor for his personal agenda? Isn't it usually the other way around?

Richardson is no dummy. He knows what happened to the last Auburn president who tried to cross Tuberville.

Richardson knows his place. :bs: In fact, when he first heard about the accusations made by Jim Gundlach, the sociology professor who triggered the investigation by speaking to The New York Times, Richardson said, "At the time, I would have to say I wasn't real fired up about (the accusations)."

Particularly because the informant was one of his own.

But then, Auburn has a proud tradition of turning on itself, whether it's one of its prize recruits secretly taping illegal payments from football coaches and boosters or the former president and athletics director flying off behind the football coach's back to hire his replacement while the head coach was still on the job.

I can just imagine Richardson at the next faculty meeting, telling everyone, "Keep it down home, cuz."

I e-mailed Bamar-ham Ray about his little jewel of an article. I wasn't very nice. :rolleyes:

:au::homer:

On WJOX now

First, if you've read all I've had to say about this incident, you'll know from the very beginning, I've said this is an academic issue, not an athletic one, and that it goes on everywhere. I've also agreed that the NY Times was misguided in this story, that it's an internal squabble between professors in the Sociology department.

Having said that, however, I found it amusing that Dr. Richardson stressed the athletic side over the academic side in his press conference Thursday. His opening remarks made sure to clear the athletic department, instead of expressing concern over the way the academic side was mis-managed (which he later admitted to).

Are you suggesting there is no problem at Auburn? Apparently, Dr. Richardson and his staff do not agree with you. All we ``ill informed'' journalist have done is comment on what Auburn is doing to itself.

Regards,

Ray Melick

A joke? More details please...on his radio show he said the article was a joke or the investigation...?

On WJOX now

Regards,

Ray Melick

A joke? More details please...on his radio show he said the article was a joke or the investigation...?

I am guessing the ton of e-mail from you guys gave him second thoughts because he spent considerable time responding to Herb Winches. Melick tried to say his column was "satire" that didn't work.

another hack journalist exposed. Shouldn't good reporting stand up to scrutiny

and be supported by facts instead of emotional reactions. You don't see any of that from these high school paper rejects. Pf is the leader of this type of writing.

On WJOX now

Regards,

Ray Melick

Yeah sure - Richardson should have focused strictly on the academics in his opening remarks. Of course, the reporters at this soiree were not from the news departments of their respective rags. The newspapers sent their sports reporters, and the story ended up in the sports section. (At least, that is where I saw it in Friday morning's AJC, not that I read that regularly). If you have department politics and a feud between two tenured professors, you typically don't end up with a front page story and a subsequent press conference at the end of an internal academic investigation. So, try to stir it up a bit and keep it going as a topic for perhaps a few more easy columns to knock out before the season starts.

Hey Melick, kiss this :moon:

then we'll both laugh about it.

Careful - if he pronounces his last name with a long "e", you may get more than you bargained for, and you won't be laughing!

Hey Melick, kiss this :moon:

then we'll both laugh about it.

Careful - if he pronounces his last name with a long "e", you may get more than you bargained for, and you won't be laughing!

Oh man you're right, I overlooked that.

Never mind :big:

I wrote him also. Here is our discussion:

I first wrote:

Friday, August 11, 2006

"Mr. Melick,

What part of Tuscaloosa are you originally from?"

He replied:

"As hard as it may be to believe, not every person's life is consumed by an Auburn-Alabama rivalry. Some of us actually care about more important things, such as perhaps Dr. Richardson sounding as if he cares as much about academics as he does athletics, or Juwan Simpson learning to feel some remorse for breaking the law."

To which I replied:

"Mr. Melick,

If there are other concerns than the intense rivalry, then please leave them to other sections of the newspaper. Anyone who has followed the Auburn grade situation knows that the "problem" had already been looked into and solved. You know yourself, that had it not been for a small percentage of athletes involved, you would not have written about it in your column. As for the situation with the Alabama player and remorse, you have to be kidding! All he wants is some ice cream! That tells me what shape that program is in presently. Will you write about Harvard, Stanford, or any other high profile University using the same type of classwork study program Auburn was using? I doubt it. It is only written about BECAUSE of the rivalry. Which is more important? A student driving with a stolen gun, recklessly, with possible drugs, late at night, or students taking classes that are offered to all other students on their campus? Your problem, like half the State's, is that Dr. Richardson didn't come out and say that we are closing down the football program. You should be worrying about criminal behavior from students and it's effect on that student and others. One coach in this State does something with his players when they get out of line and many are sent packing. One coach in this State does nothing. It is easy to see which is which and which program is in better shape."

The crickets will chirp forever before you get an intelligent reply to this one.

He is a uat homer and they are desperate for ANYTHING to get those rats to hit the feeder bar. Look for more of the same. And enjoy it! This, along with many other "signs" shows where the two programs stand as of today!

Enjoy!

I wrote him also. Here is our discussion:

I first wrote:

Friday, August 11, 2006

"Mr. Melick,

What part of Tuscaloosa are you originally from?"

He replied:

"As hard as it may be to believe, not every person's life is consumed by an Auburn-Alabama rivalry. Some of us actually care about more important things, such as perhaps Dr. Richardson sounding as if he cares as much about academics as he does athletics, or Juwan Simpson learning to feel some remorse for breaking the law."

To which I replied:

"Mr. Melick,

If there are other concerns than the intense rivalry, then please leave them to other sections of the newspaper. Anyone who has followed the Auburn grade situation knows that the "problem" had already been looked into and solved. You know yourself, that had it not been for a small percentage of athletes involved, you would not have written about it in your column. As for the situation with the Alabama player and remorse, you have to be kidding! All he wants is some ice cream! That tells me what shape that program is in presently. Will you write about Harvard, Stanford, or any other high profile University using the same type of classwork study program Auburn was using? I doubt it. It is only written about BECAUSE of the rivalry. Which is more important? A student driving with a stolen gun, recklessly, with possible drugs, late at night, or students taking classes that are offered to all other students on their campus? Your problem, like half the State's, is that Dr. Richardson didn't come out and say that we are closing down the football program. You should be worrying about criminal behavior from students and it's effect on that student and others. One coach in this State does something with his players when they get out of line and many are sent packing. One coach in this State does nothing. It is easy to see which is which and which program is in better shape."

Hey Melick,

you_got_served.jpg

Archived