Auburn vs Wash St...

TigerfanKM

First, I am so proud of our team!! We came out of the gate with a "W". I wanted to share some observations and then get everyone's thoughts. We have soooo much depth and talent!! Our young guys just need some more experience, but CTT has built a very strong foundation that is going to allow us to be highly competetive for years to come.

Strengths: Our DL played very well, and we have a ton of depth. We ran the ball extremely well, almost 300 yards as a team!! I expected Kenny to perform the way he did, but Lester really impressed me. He is cat quick!! Corners did a good job and I ws very pleased overall with the job David Irons did on their stud receiver. vaughn looked awesome except for his last kick. Bliss punted great as well as our kick off guy!!

Coaches obviously made a great decision moving Herring to LB. Though I was surprised with the fake punt, but Herring showed some nice speed. Best news, very few penalties and ZERO turnovers.

Concerns: Young guys at safety. You cannnot alow a TE to catch a 50 yard TD. We also did not handle their draw plays well at times. Lack of receivers consistently getting open.

Few concerns for the first game equal a very nice first game showing. Our young guys now have a game under their belt. Let's enjoy the win. Cox got the first game monkey off his back from last year and Auburn showed they could back up a high ranking on national TV tonight. Now let's take care of business against Miss St. Texas and Ohio St play next week, so a good showing and win will move us up to at least #3.

War Eagle, Great job guys!!

Defense needs to improve al the way around. we will see many teams better than Wash. State and tonights defense isn't good enough to beat them all.

Cox had several passes behind the WR's, still he had a good game.

Kenny Irons looked good, I didn't like his showboating on the long run and the way he followed the defender in the end zone and was taunting him. I am pretty sure that is what Coach Gran was getting on to him about.

Lester looked quick and I was glad to see Stewart get a TD!!!!

We need help in the punt return game. Someone needs to tell DUn to stop runnig east and west. He was pitiful tonight.

About 470 total yards offense and 40 points can't complain about that.

WAR EAGLE!!!

Michael

www.babyturbo.com

On the whole, I felt we executed rather well for our first game of the season. Almost no penalties and zero busted plays. Secondary missed two assignments, but you also have to remember that we were going up against the #3 receiver in the NCAA last year. I can guarantee you that the coaches will be refining our secondary over the next two weeks.

On the whole, a much more satisfying tune-up game than somebody such as Western Kentucky or ULL. I was really worried about this opener more than most. Let's work out the kinks aganst Miss State, then pin our ears back for LSU.

cox had first game jitters again (at least i hope that's all it was). he was late on his progressions which caused at least 2 of the sacks if not more. gotta get rid of the ball on time or he's gonna get rocked and have no one to blame but himself.

running game was great. absolutely great.

special teams were really impressive with the exception of dunn on punt returns... he basically did a move for move impression of tre back there.

defensively we played okay. the starting line applied a lot of pressure... the backups not so much. coleman made one good pass rush, but both of their drives came with the coleman, sims, doolittle group on the field. i like using the depth, and i like a lot of those players. i just don't think i'd take out every starter on the third series like we did.

the linebackers were up and down. dede was great early, but bad against the draw and delay plays. herring was great late, but i didn't even know he was on the field early on. johnson and the backups were basically non-existent (which is why the starting tailback averaged over 7 ypc).

the corners were really good. pat lee in particular has really gotten better.

the safeties need help. i think there were at least one or two plays where each one of them was in the wrong place (run or pass). they're young, but they're starters. so, they gotta get it right. that was a bogus call on savage. he hit with the side of the helmet and the shoulder... legal hit.

Defense needs to improve al the way around. we will see many teams better than Wash. State and tonights defense isn't good enough to beat them all.

Cox had several passes behind the WR's, still he had a good game.

Kenny Irons looked good, I didn't like his showboating on the long run and the way he followed the defender in the end zone and was taunting him. I am pretty sure that is what Coach Gran was getting on to him about.

Lester looked quick and I was glad to see Stewart get a TD!!!!

We need help in the punt return game. Someone needs to tell DUn to stop runnig east and west. He was pitiful tonight.

About 470 total yards offense and 40 points can't complain about that.

WAR EAGLE!!!

Michael

www.babyturbo.com

Beat the heck out of last years' opener. I was expecting more out of Dunn. Hopefully he will come around. I like Tristan on kickoffs. The guy flies. I would still love to see him get some touches on O. Kenny needs to watch the tape of that guy today holding the ball out and dropping it on the two. I don't care for that kind of crap. But Kenny ran very strong. Lester looks good. We need to get our TEs more in the game. I'm glad the fake punt worked-- could have been disastrous. I'm looking forward to geting Sears and Blackmon back in the fold. Cox was okay, but his passing was off it bit. His run for the first down was the quickest I've seen him run. Glad to see Vaughn come out strong. And Matt Clark was phenomenal. There were moments of concern, but on the whole, a solid first game against a decent opponent.

No turnovers, few penalties and scoring 40 on a decent PAC-10 team isn't bad for game 1. It's damn good, if you ask me. There's room for imporovement, to be sure. It's said that teams show their most improvement between games 1 and 2. Not sure if MSU will be much of a measuring stick, but let's hope some of the bigger problems ( on D ) will quickly be addressed.

WDE!

Archived