You have to be fair with the Bham news

BamaGrad03

You guys like to pick on the Birmingham news for being Bama biased. Well I opened my paper this morning...and on the sports page they lead with this HUGE picture of AU over SC and this tiny picture of Alabama's win over LSU.

Now, the Bama road win was a bigger story for a couple of reasons, but they are showing AU some love.

I think you guys get the idea that certian publications are biased because of isolated stories...but turn a blind eye when they give your team some major love.

No, I noticed this too, BG. I actually thought to myself that it was odd that Auburn got the big picture and story on the front, where Bama got the little blurb.

Question: Why was the bama road win the bigger story? Just curious.

No, I noticed this too, BG. I actually thought to myself that it was odd that Auburn got the big picture and story on the front, where Bama got the little blurb.

Well Alabama had been playing AWFUL basketball lately. Just terrible. So any win was big. Combine that with the fact that it was a win vs LSU and it was on the road, that makes it bigger. A road win for this year's Alabama team is a huge huge deal. We had fallen back into that old CMG way of getting plastered away from Coleman. AU's win over SC, while good, isn't much of a story since South Carolina is the worst team in the SEC. And AU had been playing good BBall for a while. A win up there was almost expected.

Our win also has bigger SEC west implications than does AUs win. Though AU's win put them in sole posession of 1st place in the west for now...so that is noteworthy.

A road win for this year's Alabama team is a huge huge deal.

Same for Auburn.

What SEC West implications are bigger than a game giving a team sole possession of the division?

Because AU's win was over an sec EAST bottom dweller. UA's win was over a team that is supposed to be in the hunt for the west at years end.

Ownership of first place right now isn't that big of a deal. It would have been a bigger deal had you beaten a west team.

Guest Tigrinum Major

The game times dictated this, nothing more. Auburn played earlier, so when they won, they immediately started the layout for today's paper. they did not know that Alabama would complete their victory two hours later and therefore did not want to put them as the feature story. If they won, great, they're still on the front page. In not, they don't draw as much attention to it.

The newspaper business is a seedy one, no doubt. But it is still a business.

Guest Tigrinum Major

What SEC West implications are bigger than a game giving a team sole possession of the division?

Because AU's win was over an sec EAST bottom dweller. UA's win was over a team that is supposed to be in the hunt for the west at years end.

Ownership of first place right now isn't that big of a deal. It would have been a bigger deal had you beaten a west team.

LSU and South Carolina have the same conference record and occupy the same place in the SEC East and SEC West standings.

Preseason predictions are sometimes accurate, sometimes not.

Why would it have been a bigger deal if we had beat a West team? The SEC West's current leader would be fourth or fifth in the East. I think a victory over an SEC East team carries a little more weight at this point of the season.

Did anybody else think that BG's statement about Alabama being a bigger game than Auburn was a bit condescending?

You only see it that way because you want to. Had Alabama beaten USC and AU beaten LSU at LSU...and the Bham news lead with the Bama story...i would have said that was wrong too.

The game times dictated this, nothing more. Auburn played earlier, so when they won, they immediately started the layout for today's paper. they did not know that Alabama would complete their victory two hours later and therefore did not want to put them as the feature story. If they won, great, they're still on the front page. In not, they don't draw as much attention to it.

The newspaper business is a seedy one, no doubt. But it is still a business.

This comes from the former Editor's assitant at the Elba Clipper, folks. He knows this business inside and out.

Did anybody else think that BG's statement about Alabama being a bigger game than Auburn was a bit condescending?

You only see it that way because you want to. Had Alabama beaten USC and AU beaten LSU at LSU...and the Bham news lead with the Bama story...i would have said that was wrong too.

Isn't that part of the definition of condescending - seeing it the "way you want to" - or in other words, a personal opinion?

I hope it was just my TV but did John Brady's chipmunk cheeks look purple last night? They showed him a couple of times from different angles and the guy's cheeks looked like he spilled red wine or something on them.

Hey, and ANY Auburn win in basketball these days is bigger than a Bama win. Condescending or not, I'm going to gloat about being 14-9 and in first place in the West. May be short lived but right now, we're #1....we're #1....we're #1. :thumbsup::moon::cheer:

Don't care to address my points, BG? I guess they were a bit too valid for you.

You guys never used that point during any of the 15 million times where you bitched at the Bham news for putting a bama win as the lead story.

So unless that point works back retroactively, it is null and void in this scenario.

Guest Tigrinum Major

How about my point about how a win on the road in the East is more impressive than a win in the West?

As far as the first point, next time the games are played at the same time and both teams win, check out who get top billing.

This is not a knock on Bama, but the last 3 to 4 minutes of that game, LSU played like crap.

Did Brady kicking the kid off the team have an effect down the stretch?

It would have been a bigger deal had you beaten a west team.

We did beat a west team recently. By 24 points.

bama homerism coming through again... AU beat S. Carolina ON THE ROAD.... UAT beats LSU ON THE ROAD... Now, S.carolina is 2-5 in the conference and 12-8 overall... LSU is 2-5 in the conference and 13-8 overall...

Seems their conference records are IDENTICAL... and LSU has ONE more overall win.... The fact that LSU was "SUPPOSED" to contend for the west at years end is IRRELEVANT. The FACT is they are tied for LAST place in the WEST....

Saying one win is more important than the other is nothing but blind arrogance, no matter how you try to sugar coat it....

Ownership of first place right now isn't that big of a deal.

First place is first place....I KNOW you wouldn't be saying this if uat was in first place right now and you know it too...

It would have been a bigger deal had you beaten a west team.

Again its that "we're more important than you complex" you have. Beating an SEC team is beating an SEC team...regardless of who they are. These teams have identical records inside the conference and yours is more important because it happened to be against a team in the same division??? Come on....

Notice how rarely you get to make a post about the bham news favoring Auburn over uat?? It happens so rarely, you just had to come point it out to us...

How about my point about how a win on the road in the East is more impressive than a win in the West?

As far as the first point, next time the games are played at the same time and both teams win, check out who get top billing.

A win on the road in the east isnt impressive (as far as east wins are concerned) when it is South Carolina. I'm sorry but they are terrible. They lost to UC Irvine for crying out loud. LSU, on the other hand, played Texas A&M very close until the last min or so (yes the same A&M team that dump trucked AU).

It's not like you went down to Gainsville and came away with a win. Don't try to put USC in with the rest of the east. Perfect example: Both LSU and USC lost on the road against UGA recently. LSU lost 57-54...USC? 80-56.

A west win over a west team has bigger implications than does a west win over the worst team in the east.

First place is first place....I KNOW you wouldn't be saying this if uat was in first place right now and you know it too...

I wasnt making a big deal out of it when we WERE in first place.

Notice how rarely you get to make a post about the bham news favoring Auburn over uat?? It happens so rarely, you just had to come point it out to us...

It happens more often than you think.

You guys like to pick on the Birmingham news for being Bama biased. Well I opened my paper this morning...and on the sports page they lead with this HUGE picture of AU over SC and this tiny picture of Alabama's win over LSU.

Now, the Bama road win was a bigger story for a couple of reasons, but they are showing AU some love.

I think you guys get the idea that certian publications are biased because of isolated stories...but turn a blind eye when they give your team some major love.

BG -quick UA B-Ball question.

Seeing how Steele is continuing to struggle, due to injuries. Do you sit him Saturday or possibly slide him over to the two spot to take some of the pressure off of him? He is in a major funk right now.

Seeing how Steele is continuing to struggle, due to injuries. Do you sit him Saturday or possibly slide him over to the two spot to take some of the pressure off of him? He is in a major funk right now.

Nah. Last night was perfect example of why not. His lateral movement has gotten MUCH better, its just his shot that is off. Last night CMG sat him for a quick breather. IMMEDIATELY after, LSU started to man press and trap after made baskets. They forced three straight turnovers.

We put steele back in, they didn't press the rest of the game.

Steele, even when not scoring, is very important. He runs the offense. And he breaks a press much better than Hollinger. Though Hollinger has gotten more minutes while steele has been in this funk. They move ron over to the 2 spot a lot during the games now.

I think his knee is better, he just needs to find his stroke again.

Nah. Last night was perfect example of why not. His lateral movement has gotten MUCH better, its just his shot that is off. Last night CMG sat him for a quick breather. IMMEDIATELY after, LSU started to man press and trap after made baskets. They forced three straight turnovers.

We put steele back in, they didn't press the rest of the game.

Steele, even when not scoring, is very important. He runs the offense. And he breaks a press much better than Hollinger. Though Hollinger has gotten more minutes while steele has been in this funk. They move ron over to the 2 spot a lot during the games now.

I think his knee is better, he just needs to find his stroke again.

The way Davidson played last night, it might not matter.

Archived