Birmingham's Plan B

Boonan

Bham Arena/Dome  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Does this make Bham a permanent second class city?

• Yes
    • No
    • Possibly
  2. 2. Is this the best thing available?

• Yes, Alabama and Auburn arent coming back.
    • No, This kills the SECCG from coming back.
    • Minor bowl is now a reality.

Scarbinksy

I'm glad they are finally dumping the big dome idea. I could sort of be in on the mini dome/super arena/whatever-it-is idea... I'd be happy for UAB at least... they deserve a real facility to play in.

How many does the Carrier Dome seat in Syracuse? I hope this brings the NCAA tournament back to B'ham.

50,000 for football, 33,000 for b'ball. I think this is a great idea for Birmingham, and yes, I think it could bring the NCAA tourney to town too.

How many does the Carrier Dome seat in Syracuse? I hope this brings the NCAA tournament back to B'ham.

50,000 for football, 33,000 for b'ball. I think this is a great idea for Birmingham, and yes, I think it could bring the NCAA tourney to town too.

I'm all for it, even though I live in Hunts-Patch and the tax hike will not effect me. B)

When was the last time B'ham hosted the tournament?

UAB needs this facility. Things like this make me think that maybe they're not going to do away with the football program after all. UAB football can work. It just needs things like this.

I remember going to the Southern Miss game in September of 03 when I was a freshman. We had to dress up and all since I was a pledge, err, associate. That was pretty cool. A good crowd. Our tailgates at Legion Field were and are pretty good too. Legion Field is just a dump. Yucck!

A facility like this may help to revitalize the downtown. I'm not sure where they're going to do it, but if its close to the BJCC, it'll make that part of downtown look so much better. Eliminate some of those nasty-ass buildings and shacks down there and put in a nice-new facility. It'll be much easier for us students to get down there than to go to Arkadelphia.

Ryan

I think this may make Bham a permanent Second Class Status. But is this not inevitable? Alabama and Auburn are never coming back. NEVER! No chance in the world. The SECCG seems to be destined to Atlanta forever too with this new dome in Bham. We could get NCAA Tourny events. UAB moves to Top of the Class in thier conference, etc. Perfect size for Big Concerts, events too. There are big upsides. BUT, the one downside is that bham finally gives up all hope of ever being even with Atlanta in anything, even football. I guess this is the death of the "Football Capital of the South."

I guess I am just sad that no one has the cajones to build a real dome and go after Atlanta. I think that ugly pinkish-purple monstrosity looks pure gay in Atlanta. Maybe they will paint it in some masculine colors next time.

For what it is worth. I wanted them to buy up about 3-4 city blocks around Legion Field. Tear everything down. Build back a great park with great parking too. Redo, re-build Legion Field back to its former glory. Install the SEC Offices and other professional offices there too. it would revitalize that part of Bham too. I guess being second class is okay, if Bham is happy with that.

I agree. Alabama and Auburn are never coming back. Never.

I do think it would be great for the city to have such a nice facility. Legion Field is an obvious dump and the BJCC is nothing more than a 15,000 seat warehouse.

IMO, Birmingham is still paying for their resistance to integration. Jacksonville, Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, and others all boast professional teams. When B'Ham refused to change with the times, they got left behind. The fact it, Birmingham has been a second-class city for over 30 years now and a 40k seat arena won't change that. It will help bring in, like you say, concerts and regular NCAA tournament games, but not much else. I wouldn't be shocked to see Huntsville take over this state in the next 50 years. They've simply got more going for them than Birmingham, at the time.

I agree. Alabama and Auburn are never coming back. Never.

I do think it would be great for the city to have such a nice facility. Legion Field is an obvious dump and the BJCC is nothing more than a 15,000 seat warehouse.

IMO, Birmingham is still paying for their resistance to integration. Jacksonville, Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, and others all boast professional teams. When B'Ham refused to change with the times, they got left behind. The fact it, Birmingham has been a second-class city for over 30 years now and a 40k seat arena won't change that. It will help bring in, like you say, concerts and regular NCAA tournament games, but not much else. I wouldn't be shocked to see Huntsville take over this state in the next 50 years. They've simply got more going for them than Birmingham, at the time.

I'm too young to remeber but i have heard that is the reason B'ham lost out on the Delta hub as well. We know what that did for Hot-lanta.

UAB needs nothing but a match and a stick of dynamite.

I'd be happy for the Ham, but I couldn't care less about UAB. :puke:

if it wasn't for UAB and UAH, uat would reach unbelievable levels of suck

Elaborate.

Elaborate.

UAB top medical school

UAH top engineering school

Auburn top engineering (aerospace, electrical, mechanical, textile, chemical etc), architecture, vet medicine, pharmacy, building science, agriculture, schools.

uat top partying, and some lawyers

you can figure the rest

"Top partying and some lawyers..."

That was weak. It just shows how little you know about UA. I'm not going to waste my afternoon typing you a response, though. I just want you to recognize that every institution in this state has produced some great people. Yes, your school included. Yes, even evil Alabama.

That was weak. It just shows how little you know about UA. I'm not going to waste my afternoon typing you a response, though. I just want you to recognize that every institution in this state has produced some great people. Yes, your school included. Yes, even evil Alabama.

It takes you an afternoon to type a response?

Scarbinksy

I'm glad they are finally dumping the big dome idea. I could sort of be in on the mini dome/super arena/whatever-it-is idea... I'd be happy for UAB at least... they deserve a real facility to play in.

Isn't this a hoot? UAB will benefit from this, but SPUAT won't. I bet they're chewing nails right about now.

They need to rip down those old nasty buildings down there, build the dome, put in a "plaza" type deal around it. Not necessarily UAB oriented, but a place where the students and fraternities like me can tailgate and the band can march and play, and build a couple of parking decks around it.

Maybe 40,000 is just a tad too small. Some people would say, make it 50,000. I say compromise, and make it about 44 - 45,000 with state-of-the-art facilities.

Ryan

your the one that needs to explain your desire to eliminate UAB. I know the crapstone is nothing special.

UAB is a serious threat to uat in the academic world.

Why the desire to dump on Birmingham? It's unemployment is the lowest of any major city in the country, it's pulling in automotive manufacturers left and right (The Isuzu truck plant announced in December barely caused a ripple). The downtown is coming back nicely, the restaurants are great, the arts are getting attention, and the metro population is now over a million. I think the town is coming along nicely.

your the one that needs to explain your desire to eliminate UAB. I know the crapstone is nothing special.

UAB is a serious threat to uat in the academic world.

You get a chance to see today's news?

The University of Alabama once again claims top honors in the competition for USA Today's Academic All American. In the past three out of four years, Alabama has had more scholars named to the list than any other university including Harvard. The rankings are now out for this year and The University of Alabama can chalk up another victorious year. For 2007 Alabama, and Washington University in St. Louis tied for having the most students named to USA Today's Academic All American team.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17188073/

David I think you were a little off base in your assesments. I for one don't want us to be ANYTHING like atlanta. I hate Atlanta.

I'm proud to say that Bham, along with Memphis, are two of the last few remaining true "southern cities" with a decent sized population. Atlanta lost that battle a long time ago.

I love it here. And I don't think we need to build a dome that seats 70k...waste taxpayers money...just trying to keep up with Atlanta.

Build a medium sized dome and get me my NCAA regionals back.

I'm proud to say that Bham, along with Memphis, are two of the last few remaining true "southern cities" with a decent sized population. Atlanta lost that battle a long time ago.

I love it here. And I don't think we need to build a dome that seats 70k...waste taxpayers money...just trying to keep up with Atlanta.

Yeah, Atlanta hasn't been a southern city since 1864 when Sherman gutted the place. Out of all the South, Atlanta is a Yankee city. It has been for years. Its just like Florida. No old South stuff left.

Ryan

I still think a suburb (Hoover, Vestavia, Leeds, etc.) can host a large stadium and get away with it. Birmingham is forever lost. If they build a 40k facility, it says, "We give up. We can't run with the big boys."

JMHO.

That whole "progress" thing is a b*%$H isn't it. No wonder the bammer delusion suits you so well.

Archived