Damion Allen Commits...Officially

metafour

First commit of 2008, WR Damion Allen (plays for Dr.Phillips in FLA).

Surprising move IMO. A while ago we weren't ready to accept his commitment, its odd that we've caved in this early. Allen is a nice player, but with a small 2008 class and the fact that we'll likely only grap 2 WRs it is really odd that we'd burn one of those slots this early while we're recruiting several bigger names at the position.

Feb 12th...old news... :)

From the Orlando Sentinel:

WR Damion Allen, (6 feet 2/180 pounds), committed to Auburn.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/high...adlines-recruit

:au::homer:

Feb 12th...old news... :)

From the Orlando Sentinel:

WR Damion Allen, (6 feet 2/180 pounds), committed to Auburn.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/high...adlines-recruit

I think this article is when he accepted before a firm offer.

That may be, but it's still old news. :)

I know there is a big group of us that are real excited about this kid.

Here is some info on his junior year.

He caught 30 passes for 521 yards and seven touchdowns. That comes out to an average of 17.3 ypc and a TD every 4 receptions. He also rushed 24 times for 238 yards and four touchdowns. His averages here are 9.9 per rush and a TD every 6 rushes. He was also the only junior all-state selection in the state.

I know there is a big group of us that are real excited about this kid.

Here is some info on his junior year.

He caught 30 passes for 521 yards and seven touchdowns. That comes out to an average of 17.3 ypc and a TD every 4 receptions. He also rushed 24 times for 238 yards and four touchdowns. His averages here are 9.9 per rush and a TD every 6 rushes. He was also the only junior all-state selection in the state.

Theyre saying that he may be the #1 WR coming out of FLA next year...quite a coup...when we sign him. :)

Will people please quit the: "only Junior on All State team" and "#1 WR in Florida" stuff? I already proved both of those to be wrong.

I've obviously missed something, I guess. Where and how did you already prove both of these to be wrong?

Here are the All-State teams:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/high...htmlstory?coll=

As you can see, several JRs made it over Allen, including two WRs.

As per being the best WR in Florida, that at this point is FAR from the case. Pretty much every recruiting service available ranks several WRs higher: Alderius Johnson, Montavius Odoms, Melvin Ray, Darius Morgan etc. Johnson alone is a Top 10 WR prospect nationally and if Allen was truly better we'd be hearing about it because he'd be getting attention from everyone in Florida as well as all other power schools.

As per being the best WR in Florida, that at this point is FAR from the case. Pretty much every recruiting service available ranks several WRs higher: Alderius Johnson, Montavius Odoms, Melvin Ray, Darius Morgan etc. Johnson alone is a Top 10 WR prospect nationally and if Allen was truly better we'd be hearing about it because he'd be getting attention from everyone in Florida as well as all other power schools.

We'll see metafour.

We'll see metafour.

I dont see what there is to "see." Florida is one of the top 2-3 states at producing talent EVERY year, the #1 WR in Florida is pretty much a guarenteed top 10-15 wideout nationally EVERY YEAR. If Allen was that good then believe me, we'd KNOW IT. I'm not trying to belittle his talent because I think he can be a low 4-star reciever, but if he was the #1 WR in Florida he'd have recieved pressure from the instate schools and he flat out didn't. Meanwhile, the other guys I mentioned are all getting heavy attention from FSU, Miami, and Florida. To go even further, Allen hasn't made any Preseason Top 100 or 250 list...neither on Scout or Rivals, while once again, the other guys have. FloridaVarsity ranks the top players in Florida, and they didn't even list Allen in their pre-evaluation Top 100 Florida JRs list (which I think is a mistake, but you get the point). I mean Allen WANTED to commit to us a few weeks ago (which is why he went public in the local newspapers) but we weren't ready to accept his commitment at the time, which is why neither Rivals nor Scout listed him as a commit then. We ended up accepting and offering him a full ride, but if Allen really WAS the top WR in Florida then we honestly wouldn't be holding out to accept his commitment like we did.

O.K., I'll drink to this. However, as to "already" proving anything in this thread, before this post--that made no sense. You didn't bring anything but speculation and conjecture before this post--at least in this thread. That's the reason I was missing what you said that you had already proved.

Your point about the rankings makes sense, at the same time, obviously our coaches see something and maybe this will turn out to be a good early offer. From what I've read so far, the Robertsdale kid is a Bama heavy lean. We need some more lankey burners at WR for sure.

There was a Damion Allen thread on the main board where the whole thing you mentioned was mentioned several times. There was a bit of a dispute after I pointed out the facts, which I assumed most people saw. When it was mentioned AGAIN in this thread I got somewhat agitated, if you didn't read the initial thread then you really wouldn't know what I was referring to.

Damion Allen was a strong performer in the passing camp that we had last summer, our coaching staff is hard-headed on recruiting players that we see live in action, so its no surprise that we offered. What I've heard questioned is how early we let Allen commit, but other than that he is a solid talent.

Heres a little 3 and a half minute video from last summer's passing camp if anyone is interested. It features a few clips of Damion Allen, as well as other 2008 prospects: WR Travis Benjamin, LB Marlon Walls, ATH DeAndre Holley. It also has a bit of 2007 Miami signee S Damien Barry, Ole Miss signee WR Roderick Davis, and our very own Johnnie Dixon.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/884/361774.mpeg

We'll see metafour.

I dont see what there is to "see." Florida is one of the top 2-3 states at producing talent EVERY year, the #1 WR in Florida is pretty much a guarenteed top 10-15 wideout nationally EVERY YEAR. If Allen was that good then believe me, we'd KNOW IT. I'm not trying to belittle his talent because I think he can be a low 4-star reciever, but if he was the #1 WR in Florida he'd have recieved pressure from the instate schools and he flat out didn't. Meanwhile, the other guys I mentioned are all getting heavy attention from FSU, Miami, and Florida. To go even further, Allen hasn't made any Preseason Top 100 or 250 list...neither on Scout or Rivals, while once again, the other guys have. FloridaVarsity ranks the top players in Florida, and they didn't even list Allen in their pre-evaluation Top 100 Florida JRs list (which I think is a mistake, but you get the point). I mean Allen WANTED to commit to us a few weeks ago (which is why he went public in the local newspapers) but we weren't ready to accept his commitment at the time, which is why neither Rivals nor Scout listed him as a commit then. We ended up accepting and offering him a full ride, but if Allen really WAS the top WR in Florida then we honestly wouldn't be holding out to accept his commitment like we did.

All I'm saying is that I have seen this kid play and he will be an outstanding wideout on the college level. So we got some bad info on him being the only junior to make all state, so what. This kid is very good, everytime he touches the ball big things happen.

• 1 month later...

There was a Damion Allen thread on the main board where the whole thing you mentioned was mentioned several times. There was a bit of a dispute after I pointed out the facts, which I assumed most people saw. When it was mentioned AGAIN in this thread I got somewhat agitated, if you didn't read the initial thread then you really wouldn't know what I was referring to.

Damion Allen was a strong performer in the passing camp that we had last summer, our coaching staff is hard-headed on recruiting players that we see live in action, so its no surprise that we offered. What I've heard questioned is how early we let Allen commit, but other than that he is a solid talent.

They have meds for that condition, dude.... :poke: Perhaps the rest of us did not SEE all of the other mentions of the young man...possible, eh?

We'll see metafour.

All I'm saying is that I have seen this kid play and he will be an outstanding wideout on the college level. So we got some bad info on him being the only junior to make all state, so what. This kid is very good, everytime he touches the ball big things happen.

Maybe if he'd played at Hargrave and we had some film of that we could really get on his bandwagon. :poke:

We'll see metafour.

Are you saying that whoever the top receiver is in Florida couldn't possibly consider going to Auburn? That's how it sounds.

We'll see metafour.

Maybe if he'd played at Hargrave and we had some film of that we could really get on his bandwagon. :poke:

Nice little jab there GG......

We'll see metafour.

Forgive me.... :grouphug:

It's just one of my idiosyncracies. Pimping prep kids before they get a blade of grass on their college cleats gives me an ulcer.

We'll see metafour.

It's just one of my idiosyncracies. Pimping prep kids before they get a blade of grass on their college cleats gives me an ulcer.

Even if he is a Bammer, the kid is good. ;)

• 1 month later...

The Orlando Sentinenal's preseason HS position rankings. Damion Allen is the 5th ranked receiver, Vance Smith is the #10 receiver but the 2nd ranked TE and Collier is #11. Not a bad haul so far.

Link

RECEIVERS

This is the deepest position in the state. For the most part, the top prospects have good size and great speed.

1. Aldarius Johnson, 6-3/200, Miami Northwestern

2. Darius Morgan, 6-4/180, Sparr North Marion

3. Avis Commack, 6-4/185, Jacksonville First Coast

4. Martavious Odoms, 5-8/165, Pahokee

5. Damion Allen, 6-2/180, Dr. Phillips (Auburn)

6. Travis Benjamin, 5-11/165, Belle Glade Glades Central

7. Malcolm Johnson, 6-1/170, Bartow

8. (TE) Bo Reliford, 6-6/230, Coral Springs Charter

9. Alfred Jenkins, 6-1/175, Jacksonville Parker

10. (TE) Vance Smith, 6-4/235, Pace (Auburn)

11. Thearon Collier, 5-9/165, Miami Washington (Auburn)

12. Davon Johnson, 5-11/170, Miami Washington

13. (TE) Jeff Hawkins, 6-4/235, Ocala Vanguard (USF)

14. Melvin Ray, 6-3/185, Tallahassee N. Florida Christian

15. Harry Adams, 5-11/175, Fort Lauderdale Dillard

We'll see metafour.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...how're the hours? B)

Archived