Get the Mules ready

saniflush

Alabama House, Senate approve slavery apologies

By PHILLIP RAWLS

Associated Press

Published on: 04/24/07

MONTGOMERY — The Alabama House and Senate approved separate resolutions apologizing for slavery Tuesday — one day after the official state holiday for Confederate Memorial Day.

The House used an unrecorded voice vote to approve an apology resolution sponsored by Rep. Mary Moore, D-Birmingham. About an hour later, the Senate voted 22-7 for an apology resolution sponsored by Sen. Hank Sanders, D-Selma.

RELATED LINK:

Text of the resolutions

"An apology goes a long way. Some of us can't begin to heal until we have an apology. Some of us can't move into reconciliation until we have an apology," Sanders said.

Neither resolution will become official unless approved by the other chamber and signed by the governor.

Legislatures in Virginia, Maryland and North Carolina have approved similar slavery apologies this year.

"It's been a long time coming," Moore said.

The vote came as the Legislature resumed work after state offices were closed Monday for Confederate Memorial Day, and it occurred across the street from the building that served as the capital of the Confederacy.

Moore's resolution expresses state government's "deepest sympathies and solemn regrets to those who were enslaved and the descendants of slaves, who were deprived of life, human dignity, and the constitutional protections accorded all citizens of the United States."

It also encourages "the remembrance and teaching about the history of slavery, Jim Crow laws, and modern day slavery, to ensure that these tragedies will neither be forgotten nor repeated."

Sanders' resolution says "an apology for centuries of brutal dehumanization and injustices cannot erase the past, but confession of the wrongs can speed racial healing and reconciliation."

The House and Senate acted after turning back efforts to turn the apology into an expression of regret for slavery.

"What I have a problem with is apologizing for something I didn't do," said Rep. Jay Love, R-Montgomery, who tried unsuccessfully to rewrite Moore's resolution. His proposal was tabled 46-41.

Moore said the legacy of slavery continued through Jim Crow laws that existed during many legislators' lifetimes, and the legacy lingers today with white flight from public schools and job discrimination.

Opposition came from white Republicans who expressed concern the resolutions would be used to seek reparations.

Moore and Sanders agreed to add language that said the resolutions were not intended to be used as the basis for lawsuits.

Sen. Charles Bishop, R-Jasper, said he didn't want to be portrayed as a racist for fighting the resolution. "What I am is somebody who hates to see lawyers take advantage of the General Fund of the state of Alabama and suck it like a leech," he said.

Sanders, a lawyer, said, "I didn't bring this resolution to lay a foundation for a lawsuit."

Yep, the call for monetary reparations will be right around the corner.

Yes, lets all apologize for what happened 140 years ago. Don't even get me started on this topic.

I hope this fully appeases Sherman Clump (Sen. Sanders), and that he feels the pain he felt in the field working for the man has now been eased. Well, not his pain, maybe his father's....no, grandaddy's...not quite.....great grandaddy's, probably not.....

Senator Sanders, I am sorry for my part in oppressing you. I am sorry that I have held you in captivity for so long.

Anyone here sorry for something they didn't do? I suppose reparations are now in order. I wonder when the descendants of poor white sharecroppers are going to get an apology for the boll weevil epidemic? I also demand an apology from the state for its allowing of inbreeding resulting in all the Bama fans that infest the state. We should probably also apologize for the lop sided victory at Horseshoe Bend as well. And apologize for our role in the Trail of Tears as well.

Whatever

Alabama House, Senate OK slavery apologies

By Phillip Rawls

Associated Press Writer

MONTGOMERY -- The Alabama House and Senate approved separate resolutions apologizing for slavery Tuesday -- one day after the official state holiday for Confederate Memorial Day.

The House used an unrecorded voice vote to approve an apology resolution sponsored by Rep. Mary Moore, D-Birmingham. About an hour later, the Senate voted 22-7 for an apology resolution sponsored by Sen. Hank Sanders, D-Selma.

"An apology goes a long way. Some of us can't begin to heal until we have an apology. Some of us can't move into reconciliation until we have an apology,'' Sanders said.

Neither resolution will become official unless approved by the other chamber and signed by the governor.

Legislatures in Virginia, Maryland and North Carolina have approved similar slavery apologies this year.

"It's been a long time coming,'' Moore said.

The vote came as the Legislature resumed work after state offices were closed Monday for Confederate Memorial Day, and it occurred across the street from the building that served as the capital of the Confederacy.

Moore's resolution expresses state government's "deepest sympathies and solemn regrets to those who were enslaved and the descendants of slaves, who were deprived of life, human dignity, and the constitutional protections accorded all citizens of the United States.''

It also encourages "the remembrance and teaching about the history of slavery, Jim Crow laws, and modern day slavery, to ensure that these tragedies will neither be forgotten nor repeated.''

Sanders' resolution says "an apology for centuries of brutal dehumanization and injustices cannot erase the past, but confession of the wrongs can speed racial healing and reconciliation.''

The House and Senate acted after turning back efforts to turn the apology into an expression of regret for slavery.

"What I have a problem with is apologizing for something I didn't do,'' said Rep. Jay Love, R-Montgomery, who tried unsuccessfully to rewrite Moore's resolution. His proposal was tabled 46-41.

Moore said the legacy of slavery continued through Jim Crow laws that existed during many legislators' lifetimes, and the legacy lingers today with white flight from public schools and job discrimination.

Sen. Roger Bedford, D-Russellville, said he voted for the amendment because an apology is meaningful and symbolic. "Slavery was wrong for Alabama and this nation," Bedford said. "It's appropriate for Alabama to do what other states did, atone for slavery.

"I think it will help us in the eyes of the nation and in industrial recruitment that Alabama is open for business" Bedford said.

State Sen. Bobby Denton, D-Muscle Shoals, said he "searched his heart for the right thing to do" when confronted with the slavery apology. "It does not hurt to say I'm sorry," Denton said. "The resolution wasn't saying that we had to do anything, but it says we're sorry."

Opposition came from white Republicans who expressed concern the resolutions would be used to seek reparations.

Moore and Sanders agreed to add language that said the resolutions were not intended to be used as the basis for lawsuits.

Sen. Charles Bishop, R-Jasper, said he didn't want to be portrayed as a racist for fighting the resolution. "What I am is somebody who hates to see lawyers take advantage of the General Fund of the state of Alabama and suck it like a leech,'' he said.

Sanders, a lawyer, said, "I didn't bring this resolution to lay a foundation for a lawsuit.''

Furthermore, I demand an apology from the federal government for burning land that may or may not have been owned and/or used by my family when they marched through the south.

I really don't have a problem with it. Neither does Bob Riley, who is the best governor we've ever had. So if Bob likes it, I have to go along with it.

I've always thought, if it comes to reparations, the descendents of African slaves should get in line behind the descendents of Native Americans. Of course, after we got through repaying the Indians for everything our ancesters stole from them (i.e., the whole f**kin' continent!), there wouldn't be any money left for anyone else.

I demand reparations because how my ancestors were treated before making King John sign the Magna Carta!

I really don't have a problem with it. Neither does Bob Riley, who is the best governor we've ever had. So if Bob likes it, I have to go along with it.

Riley is a snake. I don't know how he got re-elected.

I'm interested in your views on this. Explain.

No offense, but I'd rather not.

All I'm willing to say is that it's politics as usual in Alabama, there's just a different set of weasels in the henhouse.

No offense, but I'd rather not.

All I'm willing to say is that it's politics as usual in Alabama, there's just a different set of weasels in the henhouse.

No offense taken. But even if he's a weasel, he's a far more competent weasel than the usual crop of halfwits we've had in office.

Now, that's a weasel I can support!

I am kind of fond of the garden weasel also. Works very good when you're weeding around your tomato plants.

Why do you all hate weasels?

I like the Wicked Weasel!

Seems more camel than weasel to me.

Galen sings about it:

This is a total waste of time and money for a body which just got through giving themselves a GIANT raise in salary and also refuse to pass the Governor's proposal on ethics reform and a bill which was sponsored prohibiting "double dipping." Moreover, apparently, nothing that is done is ever going to appease certain minority groups. After this, they will probably call for reparations and after that, something else. Hell, somebody should listen to Dr. Bill Cosby's comments about the movement and what minorities should do. They don't appear to care about that because it makes too much sense and besides, Jessie Jackson and the Most Reverend, Holy Al Sharpton wouldn't benefit monetarily from that. We should fire all the bums in Mongomery and send them home to reflect on the opportunities they had and blew. JMO

How can generations that never owned slaves apologize for the actions of people that died on average 100 + years ago? I feel your pain?

The lawyers will have a field day with this.....

My brother in law had a good idea. He jokingly said he would send a letter to his representative asking that he be listed as an exception. The State of Alabama with the exception of ______ apologizes for the whole slavery thing. We also apologize for Pee Wee Herman.

Archived