Saban should know better

Tiger in Spain

COMMENTARY: In all honesty, Tide coach Saban should know better

I honestly believe the Univer sity of Alabama's football program is cursed. That's the only explanation for what's happened to it over the past several years. Nothing else fits. Nothing else makes sense.

Look at the list of problems. You had one mediocre coach have an affair with his secretary and allowed all the gory details to seep out. You had another coach get caught with a stripper in his hotel room. There was another coach who didn't discipline anyone -- ever.

And now, after millions and millions of dollars have been spent to hire a solid, seasoned, successful head coach -- a coach who's supposed to put an end to all the nonsense -- what's happened?

More nonsense.

In the few, short months since Nick Saban told the world he wasn't going to be Alabama's head coach and then became Alabama's head coach, it's been nothing but trouble.

First, there was the whole uproar about him leaving after assuring everyone that he wasn't leaving. Then you had the guy calling someone a "coonass." Then it was the idiotic media restrictions. Then it was the demands of secrecy he made of boosters.

Now, we've got him allegedly talking to three recruits in Miami and violating NCAA rules.

In case you've missed this gem of a story, three sought-after high school juniors have said that Saban carried on conversations with them in recent weeks. Those conversations, as described by the players, violate NCAA rules, which limit talks between college coaches and potential recruits at this time to no more than a simple greeting. (In other words, he didn't have to ignore the kids if they came up to him, but he couldn't, for example, tell one of them that he was just the sort of big, physical linebacker Alabama is looking for.)

Now, I know that as sure I'm writing this, the response from Crimson Tide fans will be that the media is making mountains out of mole hills, that we don't like Saban and we're out to get him. And you know what, you might have a bit of a point.

But I'll say again, that's what happens when you treat a group of people like garbage. And it doesn't mean that this isn't a legitimate, newsworthy story.

Look at it this way: If you took every opportunity to publicly embarrass and belittle a group of police officers for no real reason, don't you think you'd better spend your life as the most law-abiding citizen in the world?

That's part of what's happening with Saban here. And after the way he treated reporters in Miami, it's very deserved.

But the other part of this is the Alabama curse I talked about earlier.

Think about it. Whether you're a Crimson Tide fan or not, you've got to admit that some of Saban's miscues have been rather dumb. I mean, telling a group of reporters from Miami -- the same group you just lied to and berated for weeks -- a story in which you use a derogatory term? Going to Miami and violating NCAA rules by talking to players?

It could be argued that both of those, while not nearly as serious, were every bit as stupid as fooling around with your secretary or spending the night with a stripper.

Don't misunderstand me here, it's not the alleged violation itself. What Saban is accused of doing happens every day with thousands of college coaches and players all across the country. It's a stupid rule that's virtually unenforceable.

The issue here is where Saban chose to violate the rule. You'd think the guy might be on his best behavior when visiting Miami or Louisiana. You don't see Tommy Tuberville violating rules in Oxford, Steve Spurrier wining and dining kids in Gainesville or Rick Pitino skirting the rules in Lexington. It's common sense.

All of that said, one thing I don't understand in this is the contention that just because Saban is making $4 million a year he should be smarter than every other coach and know the rulebook inside and out.

First off, simply having money doesn't make you smarter. In fact, there's serious evidence that the more you have the dumber you become. (See: Paris Hilton.)

Secondly, no coach in the world knows the NCAA rulebook inside and out. Heck, the employees at the NCAA, including the Enforcement staff, the Committee on Infractions and Myles Brand, don't know the rulebook inside and out.

It doesn't matter who you hire or how much you pay the guy, you're never going to avoid the occasional NCAA rules infraction. That's just life in college athletics.

But for $4 million, you should be able to avoid stupidity. And you should be able to get some peace and quiet every now and then.

Link

I honestly believe the Univer sity of Alabama's football program is cursed. That's the only explanation for what's happened to it over the past several years. Nothing else fits. Nothing else makes sense.

Look at the list of problems. You had one mediocre coach have an affair with his secretary and allowed all the gory details to seep out. You had another coach get caught with a stripper in his hotel room. There was another coach who didn't discipline anyone -- ever.

And now, after millions and millions of dollars have been spent to hire a solid, seasoned, successful head coach -- a coach who's supposed to put an end to all the nonsense -- what's happened?

More nonsense.

In the few, short months since Nick Saban told the world he wasn't going to be Alabama's head coach and then became Alabama's head coach, it's been nothing but trouble.

First, there was the whole uproar about him leaving after assuring everyone that he wasn't leaving. Then you had the guy calling someone a "coonass." Then it was the idiotic media restrictions. Then it was the demands of secrecy he made of boosters.

Now, we've got him allegedly talking to three recruits in Miami and violating NCAA rules.

In case you've missed this gem of a story, three sought-after high school juniors have said that Saban carried on conversations with them in recent weeks. Those conversations, as described by the players, violate NCAA rules, which limit talks between college coaches and potential recruits at this time to no more than a simple greeting. (In other words, he didn't have to ignore the kids if they came up to him, but he couldn't, for example, tell one of them that he was just the sort of big, physical linebacker Alabama is looking for.)

Now, I know that as sure I'm writing this, the response from Crimson Tide fans will be that the media is making mountains out of mole hills, that we don't like Saban and we're out to get him. And you know what, you might have a bit of a point.

But I'll say again, that's what happens when you treat a group of people like garbage. And it doesn't mean that this isn't a legitimate, newsworthy story.

Look at it this way: If you took every opportunity to publicly embarrass and belittle a group of police officers for no real reason, don't you think you'd better spend your life as the most law-abiding citizen in the world?

That's part of what's happening with Saban here. And after the way he treated reporters in Miami, it's very deserved.

Think about it. Whether you're a Crimson Tide fan or not, you've got to admit that some of Saban's miscues have been rather dumb. I mean, telling a group of reporters from Miami -- the same group you just lied to and berated for weeks -- a story in which you use a derogatory term? Going to Miami and violating NCAA rules by talking to players?

It could be argued that both of those, while not nearly as serious, were every bit as stupid as fooling around with your secretary or spending the night with a stripper.

Don't misunderstand me here, it's not the alleged violation itself. What Saban is accused of doing happens every day with thousands of college coaches and players all across the country. It's a stupid rule that's virtually unenforceable.

The issue here is where Saban chose to violate the rule. You'd think the guy might be on his best behavior when visiting Miami or Louisiana. You don't see Tommy Tuberville violating rules in Oxford, Steve Spurrier wining and dining kids in Gainesville or Rick Pitino skirting the rules in Lexington. It's common sense.

All of that said, one thing I don't understand in this is the contention that just because Saban is making $4 million a year he should be smarter than every other coach and know the rulebook inside and out.

First off, simply having money doesn't make you smarter. In fact, there's serious evidence that the more you have the dumber you become. (See: Paris Hilton.)

Secondly, no coach in the world knows the NCAA rulebook inside and out. Heck, the employees at the NCAA, including the Enforcement staff, the Committee on Infractions and Myles Brand, don't know the rulebook inside and out.

It doesn't matter who you hire or how much you pay the guy, you're never going to avoid the occasional NCAA rules infraction. That's just life in college athletics.

But for $4 million, you should be able to avoid stupidity. And you should be able to get some peace and quiet every now and then.

Link

Great article. Money quote was the last paragraph.

Does anyone remember the Auburn LSU game in 2004? Remember Little Nicky raising so much sand over the personal foul call on the missed extra point? The ironic thing was he was on the rules committee. Whether it was a good rule or a bad rule it was the rule.

God bless Josh Moon's little heart. Angel.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/p...335/1002/SPORTS

By Josh Moon

More nonsense.

Don't you know Josh Moon is an Aubie lover and lives to bash Saban and bammer at every turn?

He certainly is.

He's a writer for Montgomery's fish wrap of a newspaper.

Don't you know Josh Moon is an Aubie lover and lives to bash Saban and bammer at every turn?

He certainly is.

The MA is the second-best daily in the state. It makes the Tuscaloosa News look like it was scrawled in crayon by a pack of chimpanzees with a butt rash.

What's funny is, articles like this never get filed in AU fans memories. Only the ones that are pro-Bama get remembered. That's why every media outlet in the world is pro-Bama and anti-AU.

He certainly is.

The same fish wrap that neglected to mention that Auburn had nothing to do with the recent grade changes until the next to last line of the article? That Aubie-biased fish wrap?

When's the last time you lived in Montgomery?

What's funny is, articles like this never get filed in AU fans memories. Only the ones that are pro-Bama get remembered. That's why every media outlet in the world is pro-Bama and anti-AU.

Nah. Just this state and the NY Times who happens to also own the Tuscaloosa bird cage liner.

And we remember them...as glorious exceptions to the rule. Nothing more.

He certainly is.

The MA is the second-best daily in the state. It makes the Tuscaloosa News look like it was scrawled in crayon by a pack of chimpanzees with a butt rash.

Gag.

The Montgomery Advertiser is a horrible, horrible newspaper. It has nothing to do with an Auburn slant, because I think the MA reports it all fairly. It's just a POS paper. It goes hand in hand with that horrible, horrible city.

I can't speak for the T-News' regular sections. I only read their awesome sports section. I know you don't like the T-News because it is 100% Alabama, but you can't knock their coverage and content. Being an Auburn fan, I wouldn't expect you to be a subscriber anyway.

The best newspaper in the state? The Mobile Press-Register wins hands down. The B'Ham News gets worse by the day. Mobile is the clear #1.

He certainly is.

Gag.

The Montgomery Advertiser is a horrible, horrible newspaper. It has nothing to do with an Auburn slant, because I think the MA reports it all fairly. It's just a POS paper. It goes hand in hand with that horrible, horrible city.

I can't speak for the T-News' regular sections. I only read their awesome sports section. I know you don't like the T-News because it is 100% Alabama, but you can't knock their coverage and content. Being an Auburn fan, I wouldn't expect you to be a subscriber anyway.

The best newspaper in the state? The Mobile Press-Register wins hands down. The B'Ham News gets worse by the day. Mobile is the clear #1.

You could lump the Hunts-Patch Times in there as well.

As being a good or bad paper? Any time I spend in north Alabama is spent in Florence. I probably don't go to Huntsville more than once or twice a year.

With that said, the Florence Times-Daily sucks eggs.

As being a good or bad paper? Any time I spend in north Alabama is spent in Florence. I probably don't go to Huntsville more than once or twice a year.

With that said, the Florence Times-Daily sucks eggs.

Actually, a pretty good paper. John Pruitt shows no favortism to either Bama or AU. During the season they alternate between Bama and AU as their cover story. Unless one is playing Whatsamatta U and the other is playing LSU.

Why do you hate Frostbite Falls?

He certainly is.

Gag.

Coverage and content in the Tuscaloosa News? Holy crapping chipmunks, man. It's the most GOD AWFUL sports section in the state. They don't have a single decent writer -- not ONE. I do subscribe to that dreadful rag, actually, and my assessment of the sports section has zero to do with its obscene Bama bias. If you want to read anything in the Tuscaloosa News other than mindless drivel about bama or silly ass shots of seven-year old Tuscaloosa baseball teams (is this the Choctaw County Journal or a daily regional newspaper??) all you have to do is get a copy of yesterday's Birmingham News. T-News is always a day behind on national stories, it cuts and pastes national feeds on MLB and finds a way to butcher that at least once a week, and it reprints a long-ass NASCAR double page on Fridays. Cecil Hurt is an abysmal writer with all the creativity of a turnip. In the pressbox the year Peyton and UT beat UA at Legion Field, I watched Cecil sit with his back to the field and eat half a sheet cake during the game. He never paid it a bit of attention. Worst "sports" writer in the world. Awful. No need to go into the other prefernces Cecil and about half the T-News staff have.

Tommy Deas is a slovenly shclub and a no-talent hack. Andrew Bone and Chris Walsh are cheerleaders. Neither knows jack or squat about sports.

It is without peer THE WORST SPORTS SECTION in the state and is a sure contender for worst in the nation. As far as newspapers go, the only newspaper in the state worse than the T-News is the West Alabama Gazette.

As for Cecil, I've never had a problem with him. I think he uses his ink buying power to pimp those who don't deserve it, but, who doesn't? Before I buy into any rumor surrounding UA, I wait and see if Cecil gives it legs.

I do wish I could avoid the pictures of the Northport T-Ballers. I'll give you that fact. In the end, there's only so much 'Bama to cover. They won't cover AU or MSU.

Cecil Hurt is a good writer. Very good actually. And though he is a Bama fan, he doesn't pull any punches.

awful. he is AWFUL.

Agreed. Also whenever he is interviewed on the Finebaum show, I have to wonder -- is this guy ever in a good mood? I never hear him even attempt to be humorous or tell a joke, etc. It's like he's perpetually upset that his dog has just died or something.

GG, you said the MA was the 2nd best newswrap in the state ... ... where would you rank the Pickens County Herald? B)

Cecil Hurt is a good writer. Very good actually. And though he is a Bama fan, he doesn't pull any punches.

awful. he is AWFUL.

Agreed. Also whenever he is interviewed on the Finebaum show, I have to wonder -- is this guy ever in a good mood? I never hear him even attempt to be humorous or tell a joke, etc. It's like he's perpetually upset that his dog has just died or something.

GG, you said the MA was the 2nd best newswrap in the state ... ... where would you rank the Pickens County Herald? B)

The PCH? Overall? Not in the top twenty.

Cecil is a raging Bama homer. His opinions -- if he has any -- are generally not his own, he takes the temperature of them "bammer bigshots" and then says whatever they want him to say. He's one of the worst excuses for a journalist I've ever seen. And he's a clumsy writer, too. I enjoy reading articles -- even if they are negative toward AU -- if they are well written, properly researched and make a valid point without interjecting the author's personal bias. Cecil doesn't have the capability to do any of the three. He's a bad writer all the way around.

awful. he is AWFUL.

The PCH? Overall? Not in the top twenty.

Cecil is a raging Bama homer. His opinions -- if he has any -- are generally not his own, he takes the temperature of them "bammer bigshots" and then says whatever they want him to say. He's one of the worst excuses for a journalist I've ever seen. And he's a clumsy writer, too. I enjoy reading articles -- even if they are negative toward AU -- if they are well written, properly researched and make a valid point without interjecting the author's personal bias. Cecil doesn't have the capability to do any of the three. He's a bad writer all the way around.

Rack him. :thumbsup:

Archived