5* Jermaine Johnson

Birmingham

Yeah, from what I hear he's going to have to finish with some online courses and report in December. He probably wouldn't have started this year but might have gotten some PT, so that's a shame. But don't worry. He'll get here in plenty of time to give you guys headaches.

It's so funny to hear many people claim that Jermaine Johnson would've been such a great addition to the OL for the past many months and that he would've made such a great impact and would likely have immediate PT as a starter or at least a key backup. But once he doesn't make the grades, (and it's not just TitanTiger) it's "he might've gotten some PT."

It's so funny to hear many people claim that Jermaine Johnson would've been such a great addition to the OL for the past many months and that he would've made such a great impact and would likely have immediate PT as a starter or at least a key backup. But once he doesn't make the grades, (and it's not just TitanTiger) it's "he might've gotten some PT."

I don't think I've ever said he would be a starter. I think we had a very strong OL last year and all of them are back, so I didn't see him cracking the lineup barring an injury or if a game got out of hand. He would have been a great addition. You always need depth and some people think he would have pushed the starter at his position, but not having him isn't like we lost the kid we had inked into the starting five.

Titan I agree with you - I don't think he would've been a starter. And I think he would've provided some great depth.

I didn't say you had said those things. But others on this board have.

Interesting. I did a forum search for Jermaine Johnson. I went back a few pages. Back into the days before signing day. There were various posts excited about resigning him but only a handful addressed whether he'd start or play this year.

These simply indicated that he'd be a good addition to our depth on OL:

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?s...mp;#entry495682

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?a...st&p=489539

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?a...st&p=489526

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?a...st&p=473496

This one was from me where I said back in February that he and Raven Gray would see some PT, but that Raven would be more likely to see a good bit:

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?a...st&p=472285

This is the only one I could find that said he'd be the starter:

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?a...st&p=473431

I don't think this notion that a bunch of folks here were expecting Jermaine to start or get a bunch of PT, but are now changing their tune since he didn't get the grades exists anywhere but in your head. Maybe if you really dig you could find another one that thought it might be possible but from all indications it wasn't a prevalent view here.

I guess he had a long way to go academically. So if JJ gets here in Dec, how many years eligibility will he have....and can he still redshirt?

I guess he had a long way to go academically. So if JJ gets here in Dec, how many years eligibility will he have....and can he still redshirt?

My guess is that he'd have 4 years to play 3...but he won't redshirt. We lose Bosley and Green off the line this year. If he gets here in December, he's going to be an odds on favorite to start in 2009.

Johnson was never going to start this year. He PROBABLY would've added quality depth, but even that's up in the air. What's to say he's better than Mike Berry, Jared Cooper, and/or Andrew McCain? Every year we hear from Tubs and Nall that we're going to rotate guys more, but it never happens. As long as our line is 8 men deep, with a third option at center, that's all the depth we'll ever see. We just don't rotate linemen. Nall never has, and even with the increased pace, I don't expect that he will.

As far as I'm concerned, the only linemen I expect to see with any frequency (barring a rash of injuries) are: Ziemba, Green, Bosley, Isom, Pugh, Berry, Ramsey, and one of Cooper/Eddins/McCain... so really Johnson would've had to beat out those three guys or else he would've been a name on a depth chart. I definitely want him here. He's supposed to be a stud, and you always need linemen. I just didn't think he was a shoe in to crack the lineup this year.

As for next year, we lose Green and Bosley, Pugh switches inside. That leaves Ramsey, Isom, Berry, and Eddins as the prime candidates at Left Guard; Berry, Cooper, McCain, and newcomers as the top guys for Right Tackle. That outside spot will be wiiiiide open for competition.

Tubs said differently when he spoke in Atlanta. He said it was possible he would miss, but that Chaz was still on the depth chart and that surgery was going to be good for Chaz' back. He also said they wouldn't have any idea about his ability to play until twoadays because the staff hasn't seen him and he's resting. So until it's more than speculation, he's one of our top eight.

Tubs said differently when he spoke in Atlanta. He said it was possible he would miss, but that Chaz was still on the depth chart and that surgery was going to be good for Chaz' back. He also said they wouldn't have any idea about his ability to play until twoadays because the staff hasn't seen him and he's resting. So until it's more than speculation, he's one of our top eight.

I said probably and Tubs said possible would miss. I just heard it maybe a redshirt year for him because of his back

Archived