BCW a smashing success

RunInRed

Can any one remember the last time Auburn recruiting got this much attention in June? Ever? Auburn is on the front page of every State paper. The radio waves are jammed with Auburn football chatter. Lache's comments have been played in a non-stop loop since this morning. The buzz that is surrounding Auburn football is undeniable.

And don't think this is going unnoticed in west Vance, Athens, Baton Rouge and in other corners across the deep south. "This must be some type of violation!" Doesn't it feel good to be hated again? I posted on Saturday that the game was changing right before our eyes. Is there any more doubt?

"alabama and these other schools are going to have to do something to get people quit talking about Auburn" -WJOX

"alabama and these other schools are going to have to do something to get people quit talking about Auburn" -WJOX

Just read on another board that Milliner is going to announce where he's going on Thurs. I imagine this is bama's way of trying to stop that momentum. I would bet money on it he commits to bama. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think I will be.

Just read on another board that Milliner is going to announce where he's going on Thurs. I imagine this is bama's way of trying to stop that momentum. I would bet money on it he commits to bama. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think I will be.

It's like chess.

It's like chess.

Quite profound. Maybe you could have saved the mouse clicks and three words worth of keystrokes?

It's like chess.

Quite profound. Maybe you could have saved the mouse clicks and three words worth of keystrokes?

Or perhaps you could add me to your ignore list?

It's like chess.

So how is football recruiting like chess, oh profound grand master?

I'm not comparing football recruiting to playing chess. One of your fellow Auburnites made the comment that he thinks Milliner making his college decision this week may have something to do with Alabama trying to stop Auburn's momentum.

I simply said it's like chess. Strategic moves. Auburn has a huge recruiting weekend with has their name all over newspapers, Bama picks up a commitment from the top cornerback in the nation according to Rivals and Scout.

Maybe the word "profound" was a little too deep for such a simple thought?

BTW, you don't have to call me Grand Master, but you can if you like.

It's like chess.

So how is football recruiting like chess, oh profound grand master?

WTF? :no:

I'm not comparing football recruiting to playing chess. One of your fellow Auburnites made the comment that he thinks Milliner making his college decision this week may have something to do with Alabama trying to stop Auburn's momentum.

I simply said it's like chess. Strategic moves. Auburn has a huge recruiting weekend with has their name all over newspapers, Bama picks up a commitment from the top cornerback in the nation according to Rivals and Scout.

I think that Argo is right on about this. Saban has used the media in this state at any opportunity. Somehow, a verbal by a guy from Stanhope-Elmore will overshadow having 20 of the best recruits in Auburn. It's really smart, and the press, intentionally or unintentionally, plays it well for him.

I think that Argo is right on about this. Saban has used the media in this state at any opportunity. Somehow, a verbal by a guy from Stanhope-Elmore will overshadow having 20 of the best recruits in Auburn. It's really smart, and the press, intentionally or unintentionally, plays it well for him.

It's not just some guy from Stanhope-Elmore. He is a 5 star CB and either Scout or Rivals has him listed as the top CB in the nation.

I think it's great to see us making some noise on the recruiting front but it's probably going to take a season for these top ranked guys to see what the new AUBURN is all about! It won't happen overnight but compared to what Tubs was doing/not doing things are truly looking up! WDE!! :au:

mod edit: stop the name calling and remember you are a guest here

I'm glad you used the chess analogy though... I was going to say it's like a game of connect 4, but it wouldn't have made much sense. ;)

I'm glad you used the chess analogy though... I was going to say it's like a game of connect 4, but it wouldn't have made much sense. ;)

Especially since you are only using 3 checkers.

The chess analogy was horrible and I called him out on it because if he would have taken some time and thought before he wrote, he could have actually made a decent comment but instead he just spouted some useless cliche that would have killed the conversation if I hadn't kept it going by pointing out what a useless waste of time him posting at all is.

Why is it a bad analogy? Chess is a game of complex strategy. Releasing recruiting information is limited strategy. Chess has simple rules. The recruiting rulebook is thicker than a phonebook. Chess is hard to master. Recruiting is easy to master with a checkbook. Chess is nearly impossible to cheat at. Recruiting thrives on cheating. He would have been better off with the Connect Four analogy. That is fine.

I defy you to show me one instance where I've called you anything, you child of a man. This will be the only time I respond to your worthless name calling with the like.

mod edit: Let's keep it civil please..

I think it's great to see us making some noise on the recruiting front but it's probably going to take a season for these top ranked guys to see what the new AUBURN is all about! It won't happen overnight but compared to what Tubs was doing/not doing things are truly looking up! WDE!! :au:

Can you elaborate on this claim?

From Scarbinsky's today...

Look at the biggest of the big cats who visited Auburn over the weekend. Rivals.com ranks running back Lache Seastrunk, running back Marcus Lattimore and wide receiver Trovon Reed as the Nos. 2, 4 and 15 players in the nation in the class of 2010.

If just one of them inks with Auburn next February, he'll be ranked higher than any recruit who signed during the entire Tommy Tuberville era.

That distinction right now belongs to 2005 signee and wasted talent Tray Blackmon, who clocked in at No. 17 that year.

That's right. According to Rivals, Tuberville didn't sign a single top-10 national player in his 10 years on the Plain.

But if the Big Cat Weekend proves anything -- beyond the fact that the standards for rolling Toomer's Corner have been loosened considerably -- it's the major shift in recruiting philosophy from the old staff to the new one.

Tuberville's mantra: We'll coach up our three-stars and make your five-stars fear the thumb plus one.

Chizik's credo: Better to fight five-stars with five-stars.

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2009/0...he_last_ti.html

The prospects we lost because of Tuberville's departure and those we picked up from Chizik's efforts about balanced out in '09.

Whether stuff like this "Big Cat Weekend" will result in signees next February remains to be seen. The jury is still out.

"Tuberville's mantra: We'll coach up our three-stars and make your five-stars fear the thumb plus one."

And that's what Tuberville did. Most schools in the country did much worse on the field than Tuberville did with his "coach up the 3* guys" tactic. I hope we do better in the future, but Tuberville's record will be a hard act to follow.

The prospects we lost because of Tuberville's departure and those we picked up from Chizik's efforts about balanced out in '09.

Whether stuff like this "Big Cat Weekend" will result in signees next February remains to be seen. The jury is still out.

"Tuberville's mantra: We'll coach up our three-stars and make your five-stars fear the thumb plus one."

And that's what Tuberville did. Most schools in the country did much worse on the field than Tuberville did with his "coach up the 3* guys" tactic. I hope we do better in the future, but Tuberville's record will be a hard act to follow.

We'll coach up our three-stars and make your five-stars fear the thumb plus one.
????

What five-stars are you talking about? The reason I ask is because after Saban's five-stars showed up, the next time we played them, they beat us 36-0. :bricks:

What five-stars are you talking about? The reason I ask is because after Saban's five-stars showed up, the next time we played them, they beat us 36-0

I guess I would be tlking about the five-stars on teams from LSU, UAT, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee and the like that Tuberville's Tigers beat over the years. I guess I would be talking about the overall won-loss record through Tuberville's tenure.

That 36-0 loss to UAT had nothing to do with stars. Vandy and several other teams with no 5* players beat that team. The problem was dissension on the coaching staff, not $aban's $tar players.

What five-stars are you talking about? The reason I ask is because after Saban's five-stars showed up, the next time we played them, they beat us 36-0

I guess I would be tlking about the five-stars on teams from LSU, UAT, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee and the like that Tuberville's Tigers beat over the years. I guess I would be talking about the overall won-loss record through Tuberville's tenure.

That 36-0 loss to UAT had nothing to do with stars. Vandy and several other teams with no 5* players beat that team. The problem was dissension on the coaching staff, not $aban's $tar players.

Oh OK! I'm sorry about that. When I read the "Fear the Thumb + One" comment, I immediately thought we were talking about bama. I'm sorry for misunderstanding.

It's like chess.

One night in Bangkok???? B)

:au::homer:

From Scarbinsky's today...
Look at the biggest of the big cats who visited Auburn over the weekend. Rivals.com ranks running back Lache Seastrunk, running back Marcus Lattimore and wide receiver Trovon Reed as the Nos. 2, 4 and 15 players in the nation in the class of 2010.

If just one of them inks with Auburn next February, he'll be ranked higher than any recruit who signed during the entire Tommy Tuberville era.

That distinction right now belongs to 2005 signee and wasted talent Tray Blackmon, who clocked in at No. 17 that year.

That's right. According to Rivals, Tuberville didn't sign a single top-10 national player in his 10 years on the Plain.

But if the Big Cat Weekend proves anything -- beyond the fact that the standards for rolling Toomer's Corner have been loosened considerably -- it's the major shift in recruiting philosophy from the old staff to the new one.

Tuberville's mantra: We'll coach up our three-stars and make your five-stars fear the thumb plus one.

Chizik's credo: Better to fight five-stars with five-stars.

http://blog.al.com/kevin-scarbinsky/2009/0...he_last_ti.html

Maybe we are doing better at "recruiting hoopla" than Tubs but the bottomline is commitments/signees. My question (challenge) is how can someone say we are doing much better at this point than Tubs? Show me the beef!!!

Maybe we are doing better at "recruiting hoopla" than Tubs but the bottomline is commitments/signees. My question (challenge) is how can someone say we are doing much better at this point than Tubs? Show me the beef!!!

Let's revisit this thread come first week of February. As you know, the big cats usually walk late. And I think we have a very good shot at a lot of these guys.

Let's revisit this thread come first week of February. As you know, the big cats usually walk late. And I think we have a very good shot at a lot of these guys.

I absolutely agree. I was just challenging the post made by JPT75 that things were better then under Tubs. The bottomline will come in February. It will be interesting.

I agree that Tubs did a good job with players with less stars. I also agree that the Big CAT week-end was an innovative idea whoever dreamed it up. I am somewhat disappointed however in the number of commits we've realized from that week-end. I really felt that we would score at least 2-3 commits from the week-end but that hasn't happened. I just wonder if Chizik is doing things opposite from Tubs in that he is counting on the big dudes coming in in February. Only problem with that is other schools like LSWHO, FLA, Bummer, and Georgia keep raking in the verbals. Can't help but wonder.

Archived