Cameron Newton

TigerDevil

Any of you guys been hearing about Cameron Newton and his wanting to come to Auburn. He is 6'6 247 lbs and runs a 4.5 forty. He is a 5 star according to scout.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/auburn/football/recruiting/player-Cameron-Newton-95471

807dd79393.jpg

Cameron Newton, QB

Brenham, TX (Blinn C.C.)

6-6 / 247 / 4.5

Highlights

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty sure he won't be at Auburn. I'm pretty sure Auburn has told the 2011 QB recruits that we won't sign a QB in the 2010 class and they have no interest in Newton.

Newton will do well somewhere but probably won't be in AU.

Although I will say, physically he seems to be a fit for what Malzahn wants to do. He has a cannon of an arm and is mobile as hell!

"Five star JUCO quarterback Cam Newton will take an official visit to Auburn this weekend, according to Pat Tholey of Rivals.com." From the blog "Auburn by Beaver".

Now, official visit means Auburn is paying the freight. That means we are recruiting him. I don't think we'd be paying for his visit unless we think we might offer him. This could well be the fifth early signee Auburn would like to acquire.

As for telling 2011 recruits that we wouldn't be looking for QB's this year, this guy came looking for us. Besides, unless the '11 prospects have sworn in blood to come to Auburn we owe them no explanation. Not one of them has so much as given us a verbal. Those guys are just as likely to wind up at FSU or Nebraska, for all we know. Should Auburn back off a great prospect for somebody that MIGHT pick us 15 months from now? I wouldn't think so!

"Five star JUCO quarterback Cam Newton will take an official visit to Auburn this weekend, according to Pat Tholey of Rivals.com." From the blog "Auburn by Beaver".

Now, official visit means Auburn is paying the freight. That means we are recruiting him. I don't think we'd be paying for his visit unless we think we might offer him. This could well be the fifth early signee Auburn would like to acquire.

As for telling 2011 recruits that we wouldn't be looking for QB's this year, this guy came looking for us. Besides, unless the '11 prospects have sworn in blood to come to Auburn we owe them no explanation. Not one of them has so much as given us a verbal. Those guys are just as likely to wind up at FSU or Nebraska, for all we know. Should Auburn back off a great prospect for somebody that MIGHT pick us 15 months from now? I wouldn't think so!

I don't think this should be too much a deterrent to the '11 class. He isn't a High School QB coming in to play 4 years. He will be a Senior when they will be coming in as true freshmen. They know Rollison is already here so I'm sure they weren't expecting to come in and start right away. This has no impact at all on the QB recruiting next year.

I don't think this should be too much a deterrent to the '11 class. He isn't a High School QB coming in to play 4 years. He will be a Senior when they will be coming in as true freshmen. They know Rollison is already here so I'm sure they weren't expecting to come in and start right away. This has no impact at all on the QB recruiting next year.

I agree with you 100%. However, some others have posted the opinion that AU won't try to sign Newton because we've told '11 QB prospects that we wouldn't pursue a QB this year. That's pretty much what I was responding to.

I agree with you 100%. However, some others have posted the opinion that AU won't try to sign Newton because we've told '11 QB prospects that we wouldn't pursue a QB this year. That's pretty much what I was responding to.

No, what I meant by that is that we had no intention of signing a QB in this class, which is why we told 2011 recruits just that. If we end up offering Newton and signing him then IMO that signals to me that something in the original plan has changed, either:

1) The QBs we have on roster aren't progressing as they had hoped and NO ONE looks like they are a valid starter for next season.

or

2) Tyrik Rollinson's days at Auburn are numbered.

Normally the thought of adding a freak like Newton would excite me, but I seriously fear that this is happening because Rollinson is done. There have been rumblings recently that Rollinson is feeling very home sick, he's now been suspended...add in a surprise visit from Newton around this the same time this Rollinson stuff is happening and its hard not to see connections. A while ago Mark Murphy stated we had no interest in Newton, NOW we apparently do.

Former Florida QB seeks fresh start after arrest

By MARK LONG

It looks like former Florida quarterback Cameron Newton is getting another shot at playing big-time college football.

Newton, kicked off the team last year after he was arrested and charged with stealing another student's laptop, led Blinn College to the junior college national championship earlier this month and is being courted by several Football Bowl Subdivision teams.

The junior college signing period began Wednesday, and according to Newton's father, the 6-foot-6, 240-pound versatile quarterback is considering Arizona, Auburn, Louisville, Kansas State, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Oklahoma and a few others.

Louisville and Mississippi State should be no surprise since both head coaches — Lousiville's Charlie Strong and Mississippi State's Dan Mullen — watched Newton closely during his time in Gainesville.

Newton's father, Cecil Newton Sr., told The Associated Press on Wednesday that his son was planning to visit Auburn this weekend.

Cecil Newton said his son expects to make a decision next week and will enroll in classes in January, hoping for a fresh start after spending the last 12 months recovering from what happened in Gainesville.

“It's been a nightmare for the family,” said Cecil Newton, who lives in College Park, Ga. “I'm glad to see that chapter closed.”

The State Attorney's Office dropped grand theft and tampering charges against Newton late last week after he completed a pretrial intervention program for first-time offenders that typically includes probation. Newton stayed out of trouble during his probation and appears to be on track to turning things around.

Newton was arrested in November 2008 after campus police said he stole a laptop worth $1,700, used it to log into the school's network and then threw it out his dormitory window when officers arrived to investigate the alleged theft.

Cecil Newton said the incident was a huge misunderstanding. He said his son bought the laptop from another student and merely panicked when police started questioning him about it.

“Everything was misconstrued from the get-go,” Cecil Newton said. “He bought it from a kid, didn't know it was stolen and then didn't respond to the officers because he was afraid. He learned a life lesson early on.”

Gators coach Urban Meyer suspended Newton immediately. Newton transferred to Blinn College and was eligible to play this fall. He threw for 2,833 yards and 22 touchdowns, and rushed for 655 yards and 16 more scores. The Buccaneers beat Fort Scott Community College in the title game Dec. 6.

Newton played sparingly in two seasons as Tim Tebow's backup. In 2007, he threw for 40 yards and ran for 103 yards and three touchdowns. Last season, he played in one game because of injuries and threw for 14 yards and ran for 10 more and a score.

Although Newton is widely considered an option-style quarterback, his father said he wants to play at a school that will allow him to develop his skills as a prostyle passer.

“You can't live and die with your legs alone,” Cecil Newton said. “He wants to be in a system that's going to help enhance his future success.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6773718.html

Pretty sure he won't be at Auburn. I'm pretty sure Auburn has told the 2011 QB recruits that we won't sign a QB in the 2010 class and they have no interest in Newton.

He was quoted in the Rivals article that Luper and Malzahn was recruiting him pretty hard! Said that in 07 that it came down to Auburn and Florida! I say he ends up at Auburn or we have a great chance to land him! I think it would be crazy that we would turn a 5 star QB down who just led his Junior College team to a national championship. I would understand if we had a clear cut starter for next year not to sign him but we don't!

No, what I meant by that is that we had no intention of signing a QB in this class, which is why we told 2011 recruits just that. If we end up offering Newton and signing him then IMO that signals to me that something in the original plan has changed, either:

1) The QBs we have on roster aren't progressing as they had hoped and NO ONE looks like they are a valid starter for next season.

or

Normally the thought of adding a freak like Newton would excite me, but I seriously fear that this is happening because Rollinson is done. There have been rumblings recently that Rollinson is feeling very home sick, he's now been suspended...add in a surprise visit from Newton around this the same time this Rollinson stuff is happening and its hard not to see connections. A while ago Mark Murphy stated we had no interest in Newton, NOW we apparently do.

I think that there are more options than the two you stated. If Newton's scholarship counts against last year and he is still as good as advertised, it costs you nothing to get a top line QB. Having someone like that to compete for the position is what we want. Right?

I don't think that our response to a 5* QB, who seems interested in us, says anything about the current QB's.

or

I think, if we did get Newton, it would show that the coaches believe he gives us a chance to win next year. I agree that it would indicate 1. I don't think it indicates that Rollison is done. I think it indicates that the coaches confidence in him to be able to start as a redshirt freshman has waned since his suspension.

It does not seem like too big of a risk. He counts against 2009 and I am sure we would explain to him that anything that would sour Auburn's reputation would lead to a quick dismissal.

We will find out soon if we offer or not. I'm sure the coaches want to have a long discussion with him before doing so.

After reading several articles and putting pieces together, it appears that Newton played (briefly) for Florida in both '07 and '08. In '09 he played for the Natn'l Champ JUCO team. So he's already used up three years of his eligibility and has one left to play. It was mentioned that he might be able to apply for a medical redshirt for '08, but that's never a guarantee to be approved.

Not as attractive as if he'd had two years left. Still, our coaches are in a position to evaluate this entire situation, I'm not. If they are recruiting him they obviously think he'll help Auburn win games, even if only for one year.

So what's this guy's eligibility, two years to play one? He played at UF two years and one year at JUCO.

Probably 2 to play 2. One of those years at UF may count as a redsirt. 2008?

I say give him a shot. It may mean the demise of Caudle, but he has been at Auburn long enough to try and win the starting job. Also, Tyrik obviously still has some learning to do off the field, and on as well. Giving him a couple of years to mature may not be a bad thing if he is to be the future quarterback. If Newton can come in and win the job, so be it. His size and speed has me intrigued.

http://blog.al.com/auburnbeat/2009/12/qb_cameron_newton_to_visit_aub.html

QB Cameron Newton to visit Auburn this weekend; top prospect's decision could come in days

By Evan Woodbery

December 18, 2009, 8:30AM

The secret is out.

Junior college quarterback Cameron Newton, a former top recruit for Florida two years ago, will take an official visit to the Plains this weekend, AuburnSports.com and other Web sites are reporting this morning.

Newton, who said he is also considering Mississippi State and Oklahoma, will have to make a decision in a matter of days. He has already graduated from Blinn College in Texas and plans to enroll in his new school in January.

Auburn's interest in Newton had been kept relatively quiet until now, as the Tigers originally had no plans to add an extra quarterback in this class. But the chance to land Newton has changed things.

Newton is considered the nation's top overall juco prospect by Rivals.com. He was considered an elite national quarterback coming out of Westlake High in Atlanta two years ago, but his tenure with the Gators was marked by legal trouble.

Newton's arrival would drastically alter Auburn's quarterback situation heading into next spring. Neil Caudle and Tyrik Rollison were thought to be the top candidates to replace senior Chris Todd, but Newton would instantly become one of the favorites -- perhaps THE favorite -- to win the job. Caudle will be a senior in 2010. Rollison is currently suspended for an undisclosed violation of team rules.

We certainly seem to have an abundance of QB's on scholarship already, but it would be mighty hard to pass up any 5-star player when we have scholarships from 2009 to use up. Caudle, Rollison, Mosely, Trotter, Burns: It sure would be nice to go into a spring without any questions at QB, but apparently once again it won't be this spring.

Don't know what promises the coaches may or may not have made to 2011 recruits (Heck I don't even know what QB recruits we're looking at for 2011--haven't heard specific names), but hopefully they'll keep any promises made. I know recruits can, and sometimes do flip-flop and de-commit up to Signing Day, but I hold our coaching staff to a higher standard of integrity and commitment. A reputation for not keeping their word is a sure way to destroy a school's recruiting program.

Whether Newton comes here or not, hopefully his off-the-field problems are behind him and he's learned from his mistakes. I don't know but perhaps some of those issues were associated with his environment and the crowd he hung with...if so, getting away from negative influences/peer pressure may be just what the doctor...err, judge...ordered. I believe in 2nd chances and hope Cameron makes the best of his wherever he goes.

Ummm.... When's the last time Auburn had a 5* QB??? NEVER! As long as I've followed AU football we've never had a 5* QB. We are in rebuilding mode AU is obviously sucking wind the past 2 years, and getting their clocks cleaned by AL. Given we have no clear cut new starting QB to step in, and we have a 5* star even considering us I say give him an offer he can't refuse!

He obviously has some baggage, he's from College Park ATL... I believe he's probably learned a good lesson getting kicked out of FL. AU should give him a chance with a very short leash. This would drastically better our team.

Whether Newton comes here or not, hopefully his off-the-field problems are behind him and he's learned from his mistakes. I don't know but perhaps some of those issues were associated with his environment and the crowd he hung with...if so, getting away from negative influences/peer pressure may be just what the doctor...err, judge...ordered. I believe in 2nd chances and hope Cameron makes the best of his wherever he goes.

:thumbsup:

Ummm.... When's the last time Auburn had a 5* QB??? NEVER! As long as I've followed AU football we've never had a 5* QB.

5* JUCO ranking shouldn't count in comparison to typical HS recruits.

Jason Campbell was a much better QB out of HS than Newton was.

The guys at Scout say he's got two years to play two. He used his redshirt year in '07 at UF.

From the link in post #10, above: "Newton, who is unavailable for comment, is a medical redshirt

candidate who hasn’t played since the ('08) season opener against Hawaii

because of an ankle injury. Newton (2-of-4 passing, 14 yards on the

year) and redshirt freshman John Brantley battled for the backup

quarterback job in the preseason."

Note that this artilce refers to Newton as a sophmore and Brantley as a RS freshman, so the writer knows the difference.

This, and another article I read somewhere and can't find now, (AJC?) both state that Newton played briefly in both 2007 and 2008 at Florida. It appears that he was injured early in '08 and might qualify for a medical redshirt for that season. Or he may have already been approved for an '08 medical RS.

In any case, I'm sure the coaches know what's up with his status. Obviously, it would be much better for Auburn if he does have two years left.

Archived