Cameron Newton

TigerDevil

With him being an early entry I'd give him a a set time frame where he has to show that he is the best QB on the roster. If he doesn't meet it then I'd move him to TE. Gator fans who said he sucked as a QB have also said that he's a first round pick if he plays TE with his physical tools.

Yeah, he has the physical tools to be a great TE.

This has nothing to do with the confidence our coaches have in our current players. Well, the only one they may not feel good about is Caudle. I think they really like Newton and unless we had for sure returning starter it wouldn't matter who we had on our roster.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With him being an early entry I'd give him a a set time frame where he has to show that he is the best QB on the roster. If he doesn't meet it then I'd move him to TE. Gator fans who said he sucked as a QB have also said that he's a first round pick if he plays TE with his physical tools.

Yeah, he has the physical tools to be a great TE.

It's good to see that you guys agree with what I wrote way back in post #38 of this thread:

"This guy has the capability to help us a LOT! If he doesn't work out at QB, he can spell Lutz at tight end..." :thumbsup:

I guess I'm different in my approach, but I seem to want to see what Auburn can do for Cameron. Performance in the classroom along with the bond that this coaching staff has with the players is unmatched anywhere in the NCAA. I truly believe this guy can be an Auburn man if given the right direction for life during and after college football. The resulting performance on the field of play will be the direct result of the personal effort by Auburn academic and coaching staff to help direct this young man in right direction for life. I truly believe he would be a great addition to the Auburn Family. WDE!

Awesome runner, but can he pass.

My thoughts exactly. I watched the first 5 minutes and not one pass.

There is video of his passing plays floating around. What's so unique about this guy is his threat for an option type of play advantage from the spread. Moreover, he has the passing experience for SEC play with his experience in Junior College, IMHO. Timing with our new offense will be something he'll need to work on with respect to passing plays. But, all in all, he would be a great asset to this offense no matter where he ends up whether it be QB or TE. Articles I have read have him as a third round NFL TE draft pick. He could do so much for Malzahn's offensive flexibility. Line up at QB shift to TE and direct snap to a RB. Or, lineup at TE shift to QB and run, option or pass. Because of his legitimate run threat, receiving and blocking, the opposing D would remain confused even after the final whistle blows. The sky is the limit with this type of player.

Here:

To me he has excellent pocket awareness and doesn't hold on the ball too long. He seems to be able to feel if the pocket is breaking down and moves accordingly. Watch the video and there are several plays where he makes the right moves in the pocket to give himself time to complete a pass.

His passing ability is being discussed ad naseum on many an AU board. I believe there was even some discussion here on that subject. I can say this, I have no doubt that he can, and will, do everything that is expected of him, including effectively passing the ball. His father, Cecil says that Cam is interested in a program that will develop that part of his game to a professional level. I believe his best chance at that will be with Auburn and not MSU or OU.

rumor around auburn is that he is committed and will sign this week. tifwiw.

I just read the same thing on two different sites. WDE!

My thoughts exactly. I watched the first 5 minutes and not one pass.

Thats just a video of his runs. There is another one with his passes. Search Cam Newton on Youtube and you will find it.

Why would he bother to commit? He can sign right now, tonight, if he is sold on Auburn. Committing when the papers to sign are right in front of you doesn't make any sense.

I hope he signs with Auburn, there are a lot of ways this guy can help us, but I don't know what to make of a "commitment" under his circumstances.

Why would he bother to commit? He can sign right now, tonight, if he is sold on Auburn. Committing when the papers to sign are right in front of you doesn't make any sense.

I hope he signs with Auburn, there are a lot of ways this guy can help us, but I don't know what to make of a "commitment" under his circumstances.

Recruits can not sign or publicly commit while on an official visit at that school. Most are expecting his public announcement the middle of this week.

Recruits can not sign or publicly commit while on an official visit at that school.

Well then, that explains why he doesn't sign tonight. Thanks.

Recruits can not sign or publicly commit while on an official visit at that school.

Well then, that explains why he doesn't sign tonight. Thanks.

And even if that wasn't the rule, I can see where a recruit might want to tell some relatives, coaches/teachers, or close friends back home before going public.

Good article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/wires/12/16/2060.ap.fbc.cameron.newton.1st.ld.writethru.0533/

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) -It looks like former Florida quarterback Cameron Newton is getting another shot at playing big-time college football.

Newton, kicked off the team last year after he was arrested and charged with stealing another student's laptop, led Blinn College (Texas) to the junior college national championship earlier this month and is being courted by several Football Bowl Subdivision teams.

The junior college signing period began Wednesday, and according to Newton's father, the 6-foot-6, 240-pound versatile quarterback is considering Arizona, Auburn, Louisville, Kansas State, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Oklahoma and a few others.

Louisville and Mississippi State should be no surprise since both head coaches - Lousiville's Charlie Strong and Mississippi State's Dan Mullen - watched Newton closely during his time in Gainesville.

Newton's father, Cecil Newton Sr., told The Associated Press on Wednesday that his son was planning to visit Auburn this weekend.

Cecil Newton said his son expects to make a decision next week and will enroll in classes in January, hoping for a fresh start after spending the last 12 months recovering from what happened in Gainesville.

"It's been a nightmare for the family,'' said Cecil Newton, who lives in College Park, Ga. "I'm glad to see that chapter closed.''

The State Attorney's Office dropped grand theft and tampering charges against Newton late last week after he completed a pretrial intervention program for first-time offenders that typically includes probation. Newton stayed out of trouble during his probation and appears to be on track to turning things around.

Newton was arrested in November 2008 after campus police said he stole a laptop worth $1,700, used it to log into the school's network and then threw it out his dormitory window when officers arrived to investigate the alleged theft.

Cecil Newton said the incident was a huge misunderstanding. He said his son bought the laptop from another student and merely panicked when police started questioning him about it.

"Everything was misconstrued from the get-go,'' Cecil Newton said. "He bought it from a kid, didn't know it was stolen and then didn't respond to the officers because he was afraid. He learned a life lesson early on.''

Gators coach Urban Meyer suspended Newton immediately. Newton transferred to Blinn College and was eligible to play this fall. He threw for 2,833 yards and 22 touchdowns, and rushed for 655 yards and 16 more scores. The Buccaneers beat Fort Scott Community College in the title game Dec. 6.

Newton played sparingly in two seasons as Tim Tebow's backup. In 2007, he threw for 40 yards and ran for 103 yards and three touchdowns. Last season, he played in one game because of injuries and threw for 14 yards and ran for 10 more and a score.

Although Newton is widely considered an option-style quarterback, his father said he wants to play at a school that will allow him to develop his skills as a prostyle passer.

"You can't live and die with your legs alone,'' Cecil Newton said. "He wants to be in a system that's going to help enhance his future success.''

Also: His JC coach at Blinn was Brad Franchione, son of Dennis Franchione. Given the way his coach's dad was misled about the severity of sanctions when hired, then vilified when he went elsewhere, reckon Cam may have a special interest in winning the Iron Bowl? :rolleyes:

I keep thinking he's going to be a WR/Slash type guy who can throw if need be. I may be wayyyyyyy wrong about that.

Good article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/wires/12/16/2060.ap.fbc.cameron.newton.1st.ld.writethru.0533/

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) -It looks like former Florida quarterback Cameron Newton is getting another shot at playing big-time college football.

Newton, kicked off the team last year after he was arrested and charged with stealing another student's laptop, led Blinn College (Texas) to the junior college national championship earlier this month and is being courted by several Football Bowl Subdivision teams.

The junior college signing period began Wednesday, and according to Newton's father, the 6-foot-6, 240-pound versatile quarterback is considering Arizona, Auburn, Louisville, Kansas State, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Oklahoma and a few others.

Louisville and Mississippi State should be no surprise since both head coaches - Lousiville's Charlie Strong and Mississippi State's Dan Mullen - watched Newton closely during his time in Gainesville.

Newton's father, Cecil Newton Sr., told The Associated Press on Wednesday that his son was planning to visit Auburn this weekend.

Cecil Newton said his son expects to make a decision next week and will enroll in classes in January, hoping for a fresh start after spending the last 12 months recovering from what happened in Gainesville.

"It's been a nightmare for the family,'' said Cecil Newton, who lives in College Park, Ga. "I'm glad to see that chapter closed.''

The State Attorney's Office dropped grand theft and tampering charges against Newton late last week after he completed a pretrial intervention program for first-time offenders that typically includes probation. Newton stayed out of trouble during his probation and appears to be on track to turning things around.

Newton was arrested in November 2008 after campus police said he stole a laptop worth $1,700, used it to log into the school's network and then threw it out his dormitory window when officers arrived to investigate the alleged theft.

Cecil Newton said the incident was a huge misunderstanding. He said his son bought the laptop from another student and merely panicked when police started questioning him about it.

"Everything was misconstrued from the get-go,'' Cecil Newton said. "He bought it from a kid, didn't know it was stolen and then didn't respond to the officers because he was afraid. He learned a life lesson early on.''

Gators coach Urban Meyer suspended Newton immediately. Newton transferred to Blinn College and was eligible to play this fall. He threw for 2,833 yards and 22 touchdowns, and rushed for 655 yards and 16 more scores. The Buccaneers beat Fort Scott Community College in the title game Dec. 6.

Newton played sparingly in two seasons as Tim Tebow's backup. In 2007, he threw for 40 yards and ran for 103 yards and three touchdowns. Last season, he played in one game because of injuries and threw for 14 yards and ran for 10 more and a score.

Although Newton is widely considered an option-style quarterback, his father said he wants to play at a school that will allow him to develop his skills as a prostyle passer.

"You can't live and die with your legs alone,'' Cecil Newton said. "He wants to be in a system that's going to help enhance his future success.''

Also: His JC coach at Blinn was Brad Franchione, son of Dennis Franchione. Given the way his coach's dad was misled about the severity of sanctions when hired, then vilified when he went elsewhere, reckon Cam may have a special interest in winning the Iron Bowl? :rolleyes:

We might think like that but even if his coach thinks that, I kinda doubt Cameron is going to even have that though cross his mind when making his decision.

I would consider a 5* JUCO ranking better than a 5* high school ranking.

You would be horribly, horribly, wrong.

The criteria for JUCO rankings at Rivals are pretty much a joke. There are a few elite JUCO's every year but other than that Rivals probably rates something like 15-20 too many 4-stars than they should. #8 on this year's JUCO list, James Carmon, couldn't get an offer from anyone except MSU. I'm fairly certain that 90% of his rating stems from the fact that he is a huge fatass like Terrance Cody, yet he isn't even in the same league.

HS 5* recruits rarely completely flop. You cant say that about our very own Greg Smith and Raven Gray.

Are you talking athleticism or academics? Didn't they both drop out due to academics?

Gray dropped out because, besides hard work and extensive rehab, it became apparent he wasn't going to ever play at Auburn. He transferred to another school (Southern Union I think) in hopes of playing again.

'on cloud 9' ...

Quarterback Cameron Newton gives Auburn high marks

By Charles Goldberg -- The Birmingham News

The No. 1 junior college football player in the nation left Auburn on Sunday morning with a favorable report on the Tigers.

Quarterback Cameron Newton said he liked what he heard from Auburn coaches during his three-day weekend visit. Newton, who can enroll in a four-year college in January, said he'll decide on his future soon. It's down to Auburn, Oklahoma and Mississippi State. Newton has two years of eligibility remaining.

The 6-foot-6, 245-pounder who spent two years at the University of Florida was impressive in looks, and in demeanor, said our friends at Inside the Auburn Tigers and AuburnSports.com and AuburnUndercover.com. They have lots of quotes, so check them out. Rivals says he's the top junior college player.

"I'm on Cloud Nine,'' Newton said.

Newton led Blinn College in Texas to the junior college national championship this season.

http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2009/12/post_47.html

Come on down to the Plains to play, Cameron. Coaches, campus, close to home - it's a win-win situation!

Archived