MState

kickerman97

I happened to be flipping through the channels tonight and saw a piece on college football live on ESPN with Mullen and Dooley. Mullen said that their motto this year was going to be "Good to Great". Anyone else see this? I can't stand this guy. <_<

:lol: baby steps mullen, baby steps. Hey mullen, perhaps you should change the goal from "good to great" to "from 5th in the west to actually being in the top 3". Your program is a lifetime bottom feeder in the league and it will remain that way.

I happened to be flipping through the channels tonight and saw a piece on college football live on ESPN with Mullen and Dooley. Mullen said that their motto this year was going to be "Good to Great". Anyone else see this? I can't stand this guy. <_<

Yeah, I said the same thing to my wife. Poor guy.

Perhaps he should be worrying about "from average to NCAA dungeon"...I don't think we've heard the last of the Kenny Rogers/MSU Saga.

I hope he has a really good player this year (not against Auburn) and then loses him to grades or something. I don't wish anyone to get hurt.

I'm waiting for Mullen to just go for the gusto and make MSU's new cheer "War Eagle!" Seriously, be remotely original. Did we steal "All In"? Yep, we sure did, but hey, we also created the Tiger Walk (you're welcome "Dawg Walk," "Walk of Champions," and every other crappy rip off you can imagine). We also roll trees when we win. We also fly an eagle into a stadium. We also started the "linked up" fad that half the country stole. I grew up in Starkville. Love the place, but MSU has anti-tradition. Now their coach is just five fingering slogans. If Oregon had won the national title, MSU's slogan this year would've been "Win the Day." Unoriginality is lame.

I'm waiting for Mullen to just go for the gusto and make MSU's new cheer "War Eagle!" Seriously, be remotely original. Did we steal "All In"? Yep, we sure did, but hey, we also created the Tiger Walk (you're welcome "Dawg Walk," "Walk of Champions," and every other crappy rip off you can imagine). We also roll trees when we win. We also fly an eagle into a stadium. We also started the "linked up" fad that half the country stole. I grew up in Starkville. Love the place, but MSU has anti-tradition. Now their coach is just five fingering slogans. If Oregon had won the national title, MSU's slogan this year would've been "Win the Day." Unoriginality is lame.

ALL IN is a normal football slogan, G2G is an original Auburn slogan.

Mullen probably told the team Monday that "All the good players are gone"

Umm, sure, but it's true isn't it? ;)

Can't leave if they haven't arrived

Can't leave if they haven't arrived

Bizackly! :cheers:

Picked up tickets to see them play Memphis here at the Liberty Bowl on 9/1. I don't like the odds, but I'll be pulling for the Tigers!

BTW...tickets for the game are $50, season tickets are $100. I went for the season package, so I hope I get a little more than I paid for.

Actually, "Good to Great" isn't an original slogan. "From Good to Great" is the name of a very good, very popular business book written by Jim Collins in 2001. Chizik reads a lot of books like that. You can tell that he is well read and has educated himself on leadership and motivation. It was a great motto to have, but I promise you that Gene Chizik didn't think it up all on his own. That's not say that he didn't spend some time carefully deciding where he wanted to go when weighing what selection he was going to make, but like most everything now, it wasn't "original" and there's nothing wrong with that.

Actually, "Good to Great" isn't an original slogan. "From Good to Great" is the name of a very good, very popular business book written by Jim Collins in 2001. Chizik reads a lot of books like that. You can tell that he is well read and has educated himself on leadership and motivation. It was a great motto to have, but I promise you that Gene Chizik didn't think it up all on his own. That's not say that he didn't spend some time carefully deciding where he wanted to go when weighing what selection he was going to make, but like most everything now, it wasn't "original" and there's nothing wrong with that.

Welcome. War Eagle! :cheer:

I never meant to imply that Chizik invented the phrase. I only meant that he was the first to use it as a football team's slogan/motto. That is originality in applying something from a complete foreign usage (business) to your own situation (football). Stealing said phrase from another team within your conference is much less original.

I mean, Chizik didn't "invent" Do What We Do either. I have no idea where he got the idea, but Lil Wayne had a song called, "Do What We Do" that came out years before Chizik returned to Auburn. For all I know, the players suggested the motto. But it was an original idea to use it the way we did.

Certainly, Auburn didn't invent rolling trees, but we apply it in an original way: celebration. As the Word says, "There's nothing new under the sun." But I argue, there are levels to unoriginality.

Archived